mini blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
I have some time on my hands with cold weather and I was thinking I might try to make some blankets for my minis. Does anyone do this? Is is worth the time and effort and where did you find a pattern? If you make them any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Donna
default_yes.gif
:

I make most of my own blankets. All I did for a pattern was use a store bought blanket and cut it down in size (or added on) they fit great and most are insulated. My foal blankets I make out of fleece, with a polyfill lining and another fleece panel (there reversible) Corinne

hey Corinne wanna be my horses' granny and make them some blankies?
default_wink.png
: as we found out when it rained all day last friday, and tried to blanket everyone before dark because they were wet to the skin (despite having covers to stand under, only THREE out of 28 were not wet!) and i was afraid our wind would start blowing like it does here, so sharp... we discovered we don't have enought blankets for everyone any more. and a good handful of the ones we have don't fit anybody...

I have some time on my hands with cold weather and I was thinking I might try to make some blankets for my minis. Does anyone do this? Is is worth the time and effort and where did you find a pattern? If you make them any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Donna
default_yes.gif
:
Donna:

I have a pattern from Suitability Mini blanket pattern link I've never used it and it's still new in the package.

If you would like it, I'd be happy to give it to you! Just PM me your mailing address and I can get it out in the mail in the next day or two.

I think if you got really good at it, you could put them on the Last Chance Auction and make some extra income! You could do custom colors and make them very unique. People always like "unique", at least I do! LOL!
default_yes.gif
:

Kathy

Last edited by a moderator:
default_yes.gif
:
Donna:

I have a pattern from Suitability Mini blanket pattern link I've never used it and it's still new in the package.

If you would like it, I'd be happy to give it to you! Just PM me your mailing address and I can get it out in the mail in the next day or two.

I think if you got really good at it, you could put them on the Last Chance Auction and make some extra income! You could do custom colors and make them very unique. People always like "unique", at least I do! LOL!
default_yes.gif
:

Kathy

If Donna doesn't want it, I'll sure take it. I got a sewing machine for Christmas, and I'd absolutely love to make something like this!! *saves the link* Thank you for posting that!

Kathy, that would be wonderful. I am new to the forum so now I just have to figure out how to email you. (that is what PM means, right?) As you :eek: can tell I need all the help I can get. Donna

Kathy, that would be wonderful. I am new to the forum so now I just have to figure out how to email you. (that is what PM means, right?) As you :eek: can tell I need all the help I can get. Donna

E-mail and PM are different. PM=Private Message- a lot of forums have special forum-only message setups so the members can send each other messages without having to post them publicly.

If you look, there's the avatar (pic next to everyone's posts), and under that there's three buttons- one says PM. Just click that and it'll take you to the forum page to fill out the PM you want to send
default_smile.png

Susan, sure--what sizes you need? and by when??... :bgrin Corinne

woo hoo, GRANNY CORINNE :aktion033: :aktion033: hhhmmm let's see, probably several of each and how about by last week? :bgrin :bgrin
default_wink.png
:

just kidding, and i should be a smart cookie :eek: and ask how much first so my husband doesn't :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
default_torch.gif
: me :bgrin

then i will have to measure
default_smile.png

but seriously can you tell me kinda how you make them? like for instance, i have about half a dozen that i bought from a gal a couple of years ago, they are really great except for one thing. the way she did the flaps in the front just does NOT work. the velcro is way around at the left shoulder, so the underneath flap always comes out and hangs down... and, do i have a color choice? :bgrin

oooohhhhhhh, this could get exciting :new_shocked:

Wow, somebody besides me huh? I am going to try to cut down some big horse blankets. I asked if anybody had done it on the miniature horse forum.

Fortunately for me, Marty was kind enough to trace me off a pattern and send it to me.

I don't know if I can cut it down and make it fit or not but I have a ton of big horse blankets and I think I can get 2 mini blankets out of each of them actually (2 1/2). If this works, I won't have to buy blankets or sheets or anything like that.

I thought about selling the big blankets and buying the mini ones but I couldn't get as much out of the big blankets as I can save by cutting them up and making the mini ones. Only thing I should have to buy is thread and buckles.

I'll let you all know if this works. I know that at the local tack auction I can pick up big horse blankets brand new for about $25. If I can get 2 mini ones out of one, even with the buckles, They will still cost less than $15 each. I don't count my labor because I work cheap when it is for my babies.

Mary

default_yes.gif
:
Donna, I have a mini blanket pattern I got from Suitablity and with my schedule I will never have time to sew. If you PM me your address I'll send it to you. Would be grateful that it's not going to waste and will end up in the recycle bin when I move.

Shirley

Susan, send me the sizes you would need, and I can trace my blanket patterns off for you. There really easy to make. For the foal ones--I just buy those cheap fleece blankets --that come rolled up. I have only paid anywhere from $3.00 to 5.00 for one, and after x-mas you can get some really good buys. IF your making a newborn one, you can easily get 2 out of one blanket. Corinne

I make liners and coolers, but for good winter blankets you can't beat the two for $50 from Double Diamond. With the freezing rain and ice storms a week ago I thought for sure it would be pushing the water proof ability of the new blankets I got for the two goofballs that just will NOT stay in the sheds. When I took them off the next morning, the ponies were bone dry and warm as can be even though the outer shell was soaked! With the price of fabric, lining, thread, needles, nylon trim, buckles and snaps (not to mention time) I think it is cheaper to buy what I want. Slinkies, coolers, sweats, boots, maybe even show sheets--I will make those myself. But winter blankets...I will buy.

-Amy

Can anyone please share with me a mini foal blanket pattern?

We have foals coming soon and I need blankets for them because it's still so cold.

I have to make some, and soon!

I just used another foal blanket that I bought and made my own pattern. Here is the blanket I made. It is quilted. It is not finished as I need to add the velcro. This was my first try at making a foal blanket.

Carlene

IMG_0830.jpg

That is beautiful Carlene, I love the pastel colors for a baby foal :bgrin
default_wub.png
: Just a comment to which if you do make a small buisness with selling miniature horse blankets, maybe put the horses name engraved into the side. Now I am sure people would love that!!

I don't know if anybody on this forum knows but I am getting a miniature horse hopefully soon. If anybody has a fairly used (not much though) miniature horse halter, for a two year old mini, feel free to PM me since I need one. Thanks :saludando:

Latest posts

Back