Mares with Silent heats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
How do you get them bred? I usually hand bred but the stallion I want to use knows how to pasture breed. I'm thinking the best plan is to throw them together for a while and let nature take it's course. I don't like to do that but I'd really like to get another foal from this mare!

She's SO silent, she won't even show when they are turned out next to the boys.
wacko.gif

I don't like using drugs to induce heat either. We lost a mare to that so I'd rather do it all natural.

I have two mares who have silent heats...pain in the rear! One is just shy so with other mares she will never go up to a stallion. By herself sometimes she'll pass by when she in heat. If she doesn't lay her ears back when they try to whoo her, I know she's ready. The other mare I have to put in with the stallion. I tease her every day with the stallion because then I get a better idea of when she comes in. When she goes against her norm, then it's time. I get foals every year by the two! if your stallion likes to pasture breed though, I would do it that way
default_smile.png
stallions know best when it comes to such things!

I had a mare with silent heats a few years ago, I would take her in with the stallion to tease her every other day. My stallion would mount her to test if she would stand, she would kick if she wasn't in heat. It was a pain to do, so I didn't keep the mare, pasture breeding would be a good alternative, but I am not around to observe them in the pasture during the day, so I hand breed everything here so mare stare is easier!

You are suppossed to allow a stallion to tease a mare for a full 15 miniutes( that is a pretty good while if you time it), some will show heat toward the end of the time period, and some mares will show heat if they are twitched. Learned that at a seminar at NC State University. It has worked i have teased mares and felt sure they were not in heat, but after 10-15 miniutes, they were receptive, so it does work.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back