Mare has hyperlipemia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, Debra! I am as horrified as Nancy G!!!! What is that vet THINKING?????? She needs something infront of her 24/7!!!! And if she's not taking it orally, then it better be tubed!!!!

Debra, if there is a way for you to reach her new owner, I hope you can do it and let her know what is NOT being done.

In the meantime, I would be on that vet's case and let him know you are reporting everything! I am disgusted.

MA

I have left a message for her owner who is due back this evening and did call the vet's yesterday afternoon to get the updated blood test results but was told the vet was on a farm call for the remainder of the day and I would have to call back. My obvious thought was "What's notated in the chart?" but I feel I have to tread carefully. I don't think they liked me at the clinic when we met yesterday because of some of the comments they made to me implying this was of course, my fault. It really upset me as I felt like I was being judged and they didn't know me and the home this mare had come from. I may be extra sensitive but my husband noticed it too.

We were out on a boat from sunrise until after the vet closed today so I will try them tomorrow for the current blood results. I feel like my hands are tied but I am sure her new owner will do everything in her power to be sure Mary is taken care of.

They said she was no longer getting glucose and insulin and as I understood it, she was only getting what she ate in the field. I know she was previously tube fed. Hopefully I will be able to talk to her new owner tomorrow. Still crossing my fingers. The look in her eyes just has my heart sinking. If she doesn't have the heart to survive...
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
She should have better nutrition than a pasture with weeds in it. What are they thinking.

Also to point out that she will look very thin quickly as she has been dumping her fat stores into the bloodstream. My poor mare looked like a refugee and because of the neurological problems did a lot of head banging and her head was one big scab.

So of those individuals with mares that had hyperlipiema, how many lived and of those mares, how many dared to breed them again? :new_shocked: My vet says he would not ever breed the mare again. He says that I might be sacrificing my mare for a foal. There is soooo many questions that the vets can't answer. My mare had numbers on her blood work that were 12-14 times the normal range. Now, almost 3 months later, her blood levels are almost all normal. The filly is on Foal Lac and doing great. I have another filly that is 3 days older that is with her. Just wondering about the breeding again next year.

Thanks,

Karen Merrill

Brass Tack Minis

Latest posts

Back