Mane on the wrong side...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy Breckenridge

Reaction score
So my driving gelding's mane naturally falls on the left side and every year I fight to get it to lay on the right side, but does it really matter for the show ring (breed shows, A&R)which side his mane lays on??

Thanks

Tammy
default_unsure.png

I think it's like left-handed and right-handed people; it's less common on the left side, but totally natural. Nothing you're going to be penalized for!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some people feel really strongly that the mane needs to be on the right side, but it's certainly nothing you'll be knocked down for. For us, if the mane wants to lay on the left side, we're more than happy to go along with it!

One of our pintos shows better color with the mane on her left side, so that is where we leave it. Doesn't seem to hurt her any in the show ring.

What happens if half the mane falls to one side but the other half falls to the opposite side???

I was told years ago by some thoroughbred breeders I know in Michigan that the reason there is such a big deal in regards to which way the mane lays comes from race horses. Jockey's feel that it is bad luck to ride a horse whose mane falls on the left side, so they only ride horses whose mane falls to the right.
default_laugh.png

Brandi,

Then I would manage that by carefully trimming the mane by undercutting and trimming a bit of the offending lay over. After that, gel it down!

I was told by a friend who shows saddlebreds in halter that the reason they want the mane to lie on the right side is that the first side presented to the judge is the left side.....so they want to show off the neck. Most judges have you enter the ring to the right.....so it is the left side presented first. That said, I have a filly that looks better with her mane to the left because of her color pattern.....and it has never hurt us in the show ring.
default_biggrin.png

I had a mare with hers on the left side. I just undercut it, braided it in tiny braids and she wore a slinky for a week. Each day I'd just wet it and push it down with the slinky. After that, it naturally fell on the right side. Not too much work.
default_rolleyes.gif

sedeh said:
the reason they want the mane to lie on the right side is that the first side presented to the judge is the left side.....so they want to show off the neck. Most judges have you enter the ring to the right.....so it is the left side presented first.
That's the reason I've been told and I think it's a valid one. I know I look at videos of Kody and I entering the ring and sort of wish his mane was on the right side! :DOH! I had a choice when I got him and I decided on the left because that's where my ridden horse's mane was and since I was used to French braiding from the left I figured why mess with what I'm used to? I like being a little different but I think the right side might be better as long as the horse's mane isn't being stubborn. If it is, don't worry about it. It isn't going to hide anything coming into the ring especially if it's heavily undercut for looks as most minis manes are.

Leia

Brandi,

Are you showing? If not, you can do as you wish. My gelding-to-be has a beautiful flaxen double-sided mane that falls nearly to his knees. He is not a show horse, and this look suits his personality so well that I let it be. We just call him Fabio...

Bailey's mane used to fall to both sides so I got some hair elastic and tied it off to the side I liked. I left the hair elastics in for around a week, and now his mane falls nicely to the one side only.
default_smile.png

When we were first showing, it seemed to be a big deal that the mane lie on the right side. Still important to some, for reasons already given, but I think as long as the horse is presented correctly it isn't going to make a hoots worth of difference. I will put it to the right given a choice, but if it falls to the left naturally I don't make an issue of it. Hasn't hurt us yet.
default_smile.png

Jan

Edited to add - can make a strategic difference on a pinto, depending on their markings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back