Love Offerings Needed For a Fellow Horseman In Tragic Need

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I was sound asleep spending the night at my parents house for a family get-together. It was just me and my father here at the home alone, I was asleep and he was working. You can always tell if somethings wrong by my father's tone of voice and I awoke to the ringing sound of yells saying "Katie, call 911, call 911, call 911". I jumped from the bed and my father who is always so calm was frantically yelling - so I called. While I was on hold I asked him "what for?" because at this point I still did not know why. All I could hear was the horror in his voice - "I heard two explosions over at Rick's and everything's on fire". I repeated exactly what was told to me to the operator and she sent out a fire squad.

Dad was already gone and all I could see from the back porch was HUGE flames everywhere - I was terrified that my mentor, my best friend & the man who won my heart for horses and was like a grand-father to me, had died. I threw on clothes and busted out the back door. I climed my electric fence, our other neighbors fence and then his. I don't even remember getting shocked but I know atleast mine was on. I finally got there and saw his "paycheck truck" (the only thing that makes his money) ablaze and fighting back for a few minutes while the firemen were trying to put it out. The five horses were in the bottom pasture, far away from danger and I thanked God but now I had to worry about Rick.

When I finally got up to him I busted out in tears to find that he was fine except for a few minor burns on his hand. This man is in his 60's and he's the bravest man I know. He told me what happened and I was shocked. He had the truck backed into his garage loading his supplies for his day's work and like he had done many times before - he started the truck to let it get warm. ((the garage door was open so no worry of fumes)) While he was loading his gear he smelled smoke - looked around and it was coming from inside. He found the electrical fire on the passenger side of his truck and tried putting it out but it was already too far gone. He went for his hose pipe but as he was pulling it the PVC that connected his water output broke - so no water. He said he knew then that the truck was gone and WHILE IT WAS ON FIRE - he drove it away from the house - only by about 30 feet away and then the engine shut off. He got out and it exploded twice (which is what my father and the other neighbors heard) and called 911 as well.

I refer to this man alot on this forum, anonymously. His name is Rick Henderson and he is a valued member of our community. Always helping others and helping the animals around us. He is a volunteer for "Camp Croft State Park" in Spartanburg SC to keep the trails clean and safe for riders and horses alike. He mentored me and taught me everything I know and encourages me to always be open to learning from others more experienced than myself and even him. If you needed something and lived on my road, you called him because you know he'd help. He is a true Paint Horse, TWH & SSH lover and still rides and trains to this day the "natural yet old fashioned way".

Unfortunately, he had cancelled his policy on the truck with the last insurance agency three months ago (too expensive) and was looking for a new one more affordable so does not have any way to rely on insurance replacing his truck or giving him a settlement. Thus, he has no way to buy a truck to provide for his family - that truck was his money maker.

I will be announcing this to my Church tonight as well as Sunday for love offerings but I knew horse lovers would be my strongest asset. Please, if you can send anything at all be it feed coupons, hay donations, small monetary donations that would be so greatly appreciated. This man has done so much for others, in his time of need it's time to be there for him. His horses are his children, as they are to many of us, and without his truck he cannot provide for his family like he can with his truck. Monetary donations will be going to be able to allow him to pay for another truck to let him perform his job like it needs to be.

If you can help in any way, please contact me personally at 864-541-1798. My address is PO Box 1383 Woodruff SC 29388 as well as 169 Cook Road Roebuck SC 29376. Myself and my husband will be keeping a count on all donations. We personally are starting the "donations total" with $100 as well as 5 round bales of hay from our supplies. All donations will be kept anonymous.

TOTAL DONATIONS:

• Monetary - $100
  • Other - 5 round bales of hay

PICTURES OF THE INCIDENT THAT ACCURED AT APPROX. 10 A.M. ON 1/5/2011

167783_1778984915618_1269258589_32094036_1736586_n.jpg

164503_1778984635611_1269258589_32094035_7156427_n.jpg

167655_1778984595610_1269258589_32094034_6022777_n.jpg

167189_1778984155599_1269258589_32094033_1509337_n.jpg

PICTURE OF HIS "HORSE FAMILY" THAT IS NOW IN NEED AS WELL

From Left To Right: "Shy" - SSH Gelding, "Shane" - Paint Gelding, "Cherish" - SSH Mare, "Rio" - TWH Gelding & "Patches" - Paint Gelding. The two geldings are well into their 20's and the others haven't hit their teen years yet. The are loved not only by Rick, but by our family as well.

163260_1778985195625_1269258589_32094037_7666568_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
so sorry to hear of this terrible fire, thank goodness all horses and your friend is OK

Sending prayers for his needs.. sorry that is all I can do..

Back