Lots of news with me and my babies...(long)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love_casper

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif

Hey everyone!

I told you I'd come give a story on what's been going on with me, since we moved to Colorado in November. Was just waiting for the newest addition to come, and she did last Friday.

Soooo we had outgrown our little house in the city with 4 stalls in the back yard. Dad was fed up with his corporate job. We had 6 horses and a dog, and we were boarding the other two at a VERY constricting stable. One arena, an ogre for a manager, and we butted heads on every issue.
default_rolleyes.gif
The main one being she didn't understand Parelli and made it horribly difficult for me to handle my horses the way I wanted, and Parelli is a very large part of my life.

We realize we need our own place, and cost of living in Los Angeles was getting ridiculous. We decide on Colorado. Dad gets a job out there... So we put the house on the market.

First new addition comes when our friends (Fancy Me on the forum) find out that they are moving to Virginia to go to some private school, but cannot take their beloved, spoiled, Fancy with them. Those of you who know the history of me and that horse - I went with them to pick her out, I've loved her since they got her, and any time they went out of town I got to pony-sit her. I never wanted to give her back! So when they left, I finally got to call miss Fancy MINE!!!

Fancybathandrun023crop.jpg

Fancyfix.jpg

The next addition came when we were a few weeks from moving, I was walking my yorkie by my neighbor's house, and she stopped me. The conversation went something like this:

Alex! You're moving to Colorado right!?! ... Yep! In a few weeks! ... So you'll have more space for everyone to run around right? ... Yes, we're hoping to get our own ranch eventually .... Great! Can you take this dog with you!?!!?!
default_new_shocked.gif

So I take a look, it's something called a Shiba Inu, and OMG it looks like a little white wolf!! I've always wanted something like that! Apparently she got this girl as a puppy for her 3 year old granddaughter, those of you who know the breed will know it wasn't quite a good match. Dog's energy level through the roof, child's attention span not nearly long enough. And the owner had 3 dogs of her own, little 4 pound toy yorkies and malteses, who she dyed pink and pushed around in strollers (welcome to LA!
default_rolleyes.gif
), and the livewire Shiba just did NOT fit that job description. So there was new addition number two. Her name is Bolt!!! like the Disney movie.

SnowXenaScienceexperiment021.jpg

Isn't she precious!!!!!!!!

SnowXenaScienceexperiment048.jpg

So soon after that, with 7 horses and 2 dogs, we move 1081 miles to Berthoud, Colorado. We don't have our own ranch yet, but we are at a huge facility with an indoor arena, not bad for temporary use.
default_wink.png

lastlaandfirstco128.jpg

New town, I'm homeschooled and don't have much of a way to meet friends. When I'm not at the barn enjoying the new found freedom, I'm at home with my new little best friend Bolt. She has got to be one of the smartest dogs I've ever met in my life. That first month before I met anybody or started doing anything socially (or even had a computer to use!), I had fun clicker training Boltie a bunch of new tricks. All our stuff was still packed on the moving van, mom was out job searching, and I was home with Bolt and my yorkie Jazzy. So What did I do after basic obedience - which she had picked up in 2 weeks anyway? Teach the dog a bunch of ridiculous tricks of course!!! It was like she was my only play thing LOL!!! Canine freestyle, easy. Finding things I hide for her around the house, easy. Jumping, crawling, rolling, easy. What to do now? Well I got REALLY bored .... I taught her how to do the Beyonce Single Ladies dance!!!!!!! Don't worry, once I find out how the video cam I got for Christmas works, I'll upload a vid.

Then I started volunteering at the local Humane Society because I needed something to do. I've been there for a month and a half and already got promoted to the higher volunteer status where I get to work with difficult dogs, walking, some behavior modification. I'm fascinated with animal psychology so this is a wonderful opportunity. It's also made me fall in LOVE with Pit Bulls, and I just might bring home one soon, once we get our own place. Here's my favorite girl from the shelter:

luciaandme.jpg

I want one just like her once we have room.

A little background on the next addition:

One of my alltime favorite horse breeds has always been Mustangs. And I was planning to adopt one from the BLM once we got our own place out here. At our last boarding stable there was a boarder who came in with a gorgeous buckskin mustang mare. I was instantly attracted. She had some serious problems though. VERY long story short, she put the owner in the hospital, dumped her and ran 3 miles before somebody caught her. She went through 3 proffessional trainers all of which gave up on her because she was "crazy." One of them ran her into a fence because she wouldn't stop, and actually cut her face up pretty good on that one. I played with her Parelli style for a month and absolutely love her, I was just about to ride her again when she got sent to another trainer.

Then on Christmas I get a call from the owner - that trainer gave up too, and she wanted to give her to me!!!!!! I am still bouncing off the walls.

(Sound like the Spirit story to anyone else?)

I am planning to go very slow with this one, since she has a ton of baggage. I'm not planning on riding her for at least a month, probably two.

So this is my new beautiful girl - XENA!

Xenaarrivalandwinterstuff053.jpg

Xenaarrivalandwinterstuff040-1.jpg

SnowXenaScienceexperiment042edit.jpg

If you actually want to read the whole story, it's here: http://notsowildmustang.blogspot.com/2010/...comes-home.html

Well, that about sums up whats going on. Here's some random pics of what life looks like now.

snowynight036.jpg

snowynight037.jpg

COsnowPianomoveXmascookies009.jpg

Xenaarrivalandwinterstuff005.jpg

(OH, and this is where Boltie hangs out when I'm on the computer.)
default_wub.png

lastlaandfirstco162.jpg

Thanks for reading everyone! I've missed you bunches!!!!!

Alex, im so glad to see your back as well as of your little additions, im couldnt be happier for you especially for taking on the mustang mare. All that space is looking really nice compared to our small farm. Hope to see you around more here and on face book, and a big welcome back from me and Polly and Little Titan.

Dan

Oh what a cutie Bolt is! And good for you at the shelter. I have a pit/lab mix and she's such a great dog. A lot of Pits have bad names specially with killing minis, but if raised with them and have good loving owners/homes... well they are truely one of the best dogs to own.

Gosh, Alex - you have been one busy girl.

Love all your new babies - that mustang looks to be very challenging but I'm sure you will make great strides with her. I also believe strongly in the Parelli method - I have been to one of his seminars and that is all it took for me to be a believer!

You have added some beautiful horses to your little herd and is that little Ghost that I see on one of your pictures? I so loved that little mare and I remember all the trials you went through until she finally became yours.

Colorado sounds so much better then Los Angeles especially when it means having lots more room for your dogs and horses.

Keep us updated on all your adventures and your progress with gorgeous buckskin mustang.

Thank you guys so much! I agree Mindy, they really can be some of the best. There is one that stays at the supply store in our shelter, and anyone that comes in always ends up becoming a lap for him to sit on. He's very good at it - first starts with the pets, then the belly rubs, then once you sit down on his level, PLOP!

Yes Donna, that's little Ghostie!! She is doing SO good! We can do some pretty cool stuff thanks to Parelli. We are working on liberty dressage, we've just learned the trotting half pass! She is AWESOME!

(Oh and can you believe - it's been four years since I first got this little girl!)

Here's a new pic of her.
default_wub.png

Xenaarrivalandwinterstuff024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex--what a lovely story. Your writing classes are working.
default_wink.png
Sounds like you're having a great time and all your animals are lucky to have you. Bravo!

Oh man, i LOVE shibas! I think Bolt is the best name ever for her!

Congrats

Andrea

What a dedicated young lady you are. Congratulations on your move and your new critters and best of luck to you with the Mustang mare.

It sounds like your life is heading in a wonderful direction! Congratulations on all the new additions. You have stumbled upon one of my favorite things, pits, in much the same way I did, through meeting these amazing, happy, friendly, intelligent dogs in terrible circumstances. Feel free to get in touch with me anytime if you want to talk about pits, I love talking about them, especially mine
default_wub.png

default_wub.png
Thank you everyone!!

Yeah I totally miss taking Ghost to starbucks!!! For sure. Ahh well we are getting used to country life lol.

Shauna I'd love to see your pit! I am loving them so much!! I could talk about all the great things at the shelter all day, I'll pm you.
default_smile.png

Wow, Alex! Very cool stuff happening in your life! I saw a post of yours over on the Savvy Club web site a couple of days ago and was wondering what you were up to these days. Love your new additions, they are all very cool! That little Bolt looked much bigger to me until you show her next to the computer monitor! Yay for you for clicker training in conjunction with what you are learning in Parelli. Understanding the whys of the ways is pretty huge. I love that you are sharing your skills with an animal shelter. I managed a no-kill shelter for several years. It is very fulfilling to make the matches that can last a lifetime.

Good on ya, and keep us posted on your progress!
default_cheekkiss.gif

Alex, Wow!! You are in the middle of a great adventure.

Sounds like the culture shock of such a great move

in working out super.

Good to hear your update and see how fine everyone

looks.

Say hi to Ghost from Zoey.

Back