LOOK what I found under all that hair!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairicane

Reaction score
With all the terrible things happening to some forum members I thought I would share some good news. I have a little 2005 colt that has been sold almost since birth. He was born solid but out of 2 appy parents and I could see a few white hairs on his butt. When his new owners inquired I told them I was as sure as l could be that he would color up. They put their faith in me and in the fact that he is very well bred being sired by my new appy Sids Rebel son. I could not stand it any more and took clippers to his butt today. This is what I found.......

RebelbuuttshaveclosesideGOOD1205.jpg

Rebelpartshavesidestack1205.jpg

rebelsideheadtocampartshave1205.jpg

This is what he looked like at birth

dotmcycoltfrombackGOODmom1std.jpg

Thats quite a change wouldnt u say?

I also have a tiny colt that is less than 23 inches at over 6 mths old. He was also sold quite young but his new owner had a massive stroke and can no longer have any horses. Needless to say Little Lucky is back up for sale. He is also out of 2 appy parents and I could see darker red spots showing up on his butt even with his winter coat. Well he got near me and u guessed it he got a shaved butt too. It doesnt show up as well in these pix but he has 2 big red shots and a white spot in between them on the little area I shaved. YIPPEEEEE!!!!

http://www.boomspeed.com/hairicane/luckybu...ODclose1205.jpg

luckysidebuttshaveok1205.jpg

Here is Rebel and Lucky discussing that crazy human that just gave them a funny haircut.

rebelluckytouchingnoses1205.jpg

And here is Lucky when he was just a week old.

appycolt1weekfirealltrotnice505.jpg

You're one of those naughty people who peek at Christmas presents, aren't you.
nono.gif
rolleyes.gif
Note please that that is not a question. I hope to gosh that you're selling those poor little babies to a warmer climate and not somewhere with actual weather!
laugh.gif
Otherwise he's gonna give "snowcap appy" a whole new meaning.
biggrin.gif

Leia

He is so cute......and you are so lucky to be able to do some clipping in December. He would freeze his little butt off here with the tep at 12-zero!!! Can't wait til spring and we can see the horses again. mary

LOL!!! I should have mentioned we live in florida!!!! And when he does go to his new home its in southern Ga. I told the new owner I just had to see what was there. Appys are amazing.

What a gorgeous little foal!! I love his colour! Hes extremely cute!

Appys will fool you everytime
wink.gif
We once had a solid bay filly born - who had a loud colored appy sire and a solid dam - she had not a white hair on her at birth, nor any appy secondary characteristics whatsoever - by the spring of her yearling year, she was a "loud" spotted varnish roan appaloosa
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The new owners must be thrilled
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

You have to love the appaloosa's you never know what you will get! I'm impressed that you could stop, I'm afaid that if I found spots like that in just one area, I would have to keep going!
aktion033.gif

Oh how cute! It's nice to know someone else has a farm with a lot of shaved butts! I just can't wait until spring to shave those butts! I even have an explanation on my "for sale" page on my website. When someone stops here who isn't familiar with apps, it's always "why do they look like that?" I have to explain my obsession! You have some very cute kids..........
wub.gif

We have a little girl born solid out of two leopard apps..........at 3 months (almost 4), she's got roaning all over, striped hooves, mottling, white in her tail. She's sold & I'll have to keep track of her changes from the new owner.

Also got a girl from a few spot & a snowcap. She was born with just two white spots on her butt. Now, at 6 months, she's almost entirely white in the back end. Looks like someone put powdered sugar on her. Can't wait to clip that one!

I've got the same thing going on with my two little appy fillies. I can't wait until spring. but you can really see Peekaboos spots more and more even under the hair and Moon Feather's show up like your little one. But it is waaaaaaay to cold to shave any butts around here.
laugh.gif

That is about the cutest little thing I've ever seen!

I bought a solid POA almost years ago...got a great deal because of her color (loud parents also). She's 2 now and every year I keep thinking some spot will appear...not a one
no.gif
. She did get spots on her muzzle nd she's mottled where she should be. I'm thinking she'd throw color possibly...but I'm no breeder and I'm not going to try it just to see those spots! I'll just peek at your pictures...lol.

Wow, now that's a GREAT surprize- he is LOADED with spots!!
new_shocked.gif
Can't wait to see what he ends up like in the spring!!

KIM-- believe me I really wanted to keep clipping!!! There were so many spots in the little area I shaved it was soo tempting to keep going. But even here in florida we do get cool snaps for a couple days at a time then it will go back up into the 80s. Guess I will have to wait till spring and the new owner shaves him. Of course in a month our new foals will start arriving, oh I cant wait!!!!!

OH WOW!!! I would have never guessed all those spots to be under that solid coat with just white hairs poking out....what the heck!!! Man I love appies and the surprises they carry under all that hair!

I think that they are cute. I love the shaved areas.

aktion033.gif
oh wow! I have a yearling filly that was born jet black but with all characteristics. She is now about that same color on her winter coat as your "black" colt ,and is very "white" underneath. I sure hope she will look like that in the spring...no clipping for her! It is COLD here! LOL! Your red colt is coming right along too!

Almost like opening a present and finding what is inside! The appys are fun and keep people on their toes for sure! We had a solid black filly foaled this year from a black near leopard sire and a black leopard mare. We are waiting til next spring when we can clip and see just what we have for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Back