Like a kid at Christmas!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I am so thrilled!

We have way too much grass. About 5 pastures and a small stallion paddock full of lush, green, FATTENING grass. This morning on the way to school my mom told me she is killing the grass in one of the paddocks so we can use it as a drylot next year! Woohoo! This means I can keep the horses out for long periods of time and reduce the amount of cleanup in their stalls!

Yesssss,

Thank you paddock gods!

LOL! Only us horse people would understand your glee at getting a dry lot! :lol:

When we first moved in here, we had to build all of the "runs" off of the stalls of the barn (about half of the stalls have run-outs) and then when we were finished with that, we could finally start building the dry lots.

Each one that we have gotten done has made me THRILLED.

Don't tell my husband though, because I still want a present at Christmas time.
default_smile.png
default_wink.png
:

Whoohoo, very exciting! That will make is so much easier for you and so much nicer for your horses!

I wish the farm I boarded Fever at had dry lots, oh well, not much you can do there I guess.

Yeah, drylot....
default_rolleyes.gif
: My WHOLE PLACE is a drylot. Send some your grass to me!!! :lol:

Yeah, drylot....
default_rolleyes.gif
: My WHOLE PLACE is a drylot. Send some your grass to me!!! :lol:
Yep yep yep! Here at "Whinny For Me Farm", it's all dry lots unless it's our actual yard. The horse areas are completely dry lots. I'd LOVE to one day have some grass turn out options, but I do appreciate the dry lots because I can (and have) made horses fat just from what I put in front of them. I can't imagine how out of hand I'd let it get if I also had to take into account what they'd graze.

I know the feeling. Last year my paddoc was all lush green grass. Well the horses killed that in about 1 year and now i have a lovely drylot. drylot is much much better. You will love it i'm sure.

I thought about planting grass back in it this year ..nope, didnt happen
default_smile.png

I have all dry lots and LOVE them! I get to moniter whatever my horses eat or dont eat..never had a horse colic or get sick from to lush of a pasture, and...dont have to worry about them being out there in there lush pasture too long. Bob did reseed the back half for them :no: :no: which I really didnt want him to do, but I am sure my horses will be loving him for it...I'm hoping it dont grow and the new seed will freeze out :bgrin :lol: Corinne

HELP- NEWBIE QUESTION!

Can you Jess, and anyone else please explain the dry lot vs. grass to me?

I'm setting up for two minis next year. I have two separate areas, one with barn and fenced grassed field around the barn, about 100' x 100' and another area which is large grassy/weedy field about 100' x 500' which I want to section off.

Do I leave a portion sectioned around the barn to be a dry lot? How big would it be for 2 minis? Then do I switch them to a grassed area once in a while? I was thinking over time that the grass will die off, will it grow back if I rotate the horses?

Please help me start off on the right hoof!

Thanks......

~Julie~

HELP- NEWBIE QUESTION!

Can you Jess, and anyone else please explain the dry lot vs. grass to me?

I'm setting up for two minis next year. I have two separate areas, one with barn and fenced grassed field around the barn, about 100' x 100' and another area which is large grassy/weedy field about 100' x 500' which I want to section off.

Do I leave a portion sectioned around the barn to be a dry lot? How big would it be for 2 minis? Then do I switch them to a grassed area once in a while? I was thinking over time that the grass will die off, will it grow back if I rotate the horses?

Please help me start off on the right hoof!

Thanks......

~Julie~
Julie, set this up as a "new topic" and you'll get more answers.

Everyone has a different opinion on what's best for their horses. I only let mine on gras for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and the rest of the time they're on dry lot, weather permitting. That way I can restrict what they eat and keep them from getting too fat. I also weigh all their hay so they only get a 1.5% of their body weight, including grain, to eat. Some say too much grass will cause colic. Others have them on grass 24/7. Sorry, that's probably not an answer you wanted.

Sorry, Jess, for hijacking your post.
default_sad.png

You all have such great knowledge, I'm trying to find out as much as I can from all of you.

I've reposted my question as a new topic.

~Julie~

Its okay! Don't worry about it!

I am new to drylots too, but we will be using ours a lot.

I really had to laugh when I read your post. Mainly because we WANT lush pasture for our horses. We live on the Ridge in Central Fl and have one Giant "Kitty Pan" here. My poor husband spends all of his free time sodding, seeding and running irrigation to and fro. When we built the Mini paddock it "had" grass. They ate everything green in there the first month they were here. I call them my 200 LB termites. I feel really bad for them. They look really bored.

It just struck me funny that you want a bare paddock and we want grass. Thats all,

Candice

Latest posts

Back