Last update on Sallie Anne

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
I though yo might like to see Sallie Anne one more time before she goes back to the rescue, was supposed to leave two weeks ago but weather has not been with us. Very hard to admit I do not have the skills needed to make her a riding horse. She sure has turned into a beautiful girl.

Also a question...she may be bred, what do you guys think???

A reminder of what she looked like October 25th when she came to me.

SallieDay1010.jpg

November 25th

Sallie016.jpg

Pictures not so good today because of the weather but January 17th...

Salliefarewell018.jpg

Salliefarewell006.jpg

Is she going back??

You really took good care of her! Why can't she stay at your home??

She looks so good now!!!

Sallie Anne is a beautiful girl but was looking for a riding horse, was told she rode...well she rides for about 20 minutes than bucks me off! If I was 20 yrs younger I would try to take her back to basics and retrain her but I am old and have not riden in 6 yrs, lost my confidence somewhere...in short she is more than I can handle.

Her ground manners have much improved, has learned not to walk all over me or knock me over to get her food, loads, takes a rug, saddle bridle, etc. Kills me that I have not the skill or nerve to get her past her resistance.

She really looks wonderful! I would definitely have her ultrasounded if you suspect she is pregnant (it does look like she might be developing a belly). A friend of ours had a similar situation, rescued a draft mare is aweful condition, suspected that she might be in foal, but never had her checked, and it ended tragically because they were not sure what to expect. Better to know and be prepared.

Anyhow, great job with her, she looks so much happier now!

What a shame. You have taken so far along, it be be a shame to let her go now. How about sending her to a trainer to get her sorted out? And get yourself some lessons to regain your confidence?

She's beautiful.

She looks so wonderful now! You have done a great job with her in such a short time. She is lucky to have had you care for her.

Peggy

Sallie was preg checked negative when I got her but vet says it is harder to be sure on drafts as the uterus isharder to feel and if the foal has dropped over the pelvic rim can not be reached. Maybe some of you with draft horses can help me out there.

As far as riding, I only rode her under the guidance of my instructor. It was her suggestion that by how she behaves/bucks this is not new for her and at the age of 10 it might be hard to get her past it. Believe me I have second thoughts about every two minutes but after being pretty badly beat up last time not sure I would ever trust her. More my problem than hers. Ground seems a lot harder now than it was when I was 20!

Oh she looks wonderful!! You have done a wonderful job and should be proud of yourself
default_smile.png

Okay I see what you mean...that's difficult!

But you did a great job with her!! Congrats to you!!! hope she will find a good home!!!

If someone had the time, the Parelli way would probably help so much. It could take lots and lots of groundwork for her to trust and respect a leader again. As Pat Parelli says "it takes the time it takes".

I commend you for knowing that shes too much horse for you, and recognizing that she would be better off in a different home situation. I have had horses that were too much for me, and they didn't develop to their full potential while I had them because heck, I was just plain scared of them, and only did what I had to with them. Found them new homes with people more experienced than me and they became great horses for those people. When you find the right horse, it will just "click"

Latest posts

Back