I've been offered a horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
I really don't need another horse. He's a stallion. Granted, he's pretty, and tiny, but the original owner told this owner no papers, and he's 8 years old. Dunno what I'm gonna do here.

If you dont need a stallion but can use a cute little pet then take him and geld him. Unregistered stallions dont do anyone any good entire. The question you should ask is , do I want another pet. If you do and you have room then get him geld him and love him.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Lyn, glad you mentioned that. I didn't mention that yes, he will be gelded ASAP, should we decide to bring him home. I'm seriously SERIOUSLY thinking about getting him. He's really sweet and will make a good show gelding for my nonhorsey (yet) new husband and bonus son.

Stacye

You know, it seems there are always folks out there that would love to have a mini, but prices are beyond what they can do.

Maybe there is someone like that close to you that could benefit from your knowing of him, and use him for great purposes.

Just a thought.

This owner has had him for almost eight years. Her son won him in a raffle. She is not in a hurry to get rid of him, but since I have minis she thought he'd be happier with his own rather than in the stall and turned out when the big horses weren't out. Mine are out 24/7, he is in most of the time.

Another cause for pause...would the change in environment be bad for him?

Stacye

Have him gelded before he comes home.... also remember that at 8 he will still think like a stallion for a while , maybe even forever, that has been know to happen. I did geld a 7 year old stallion back when I bought Hershee in 2001 he still mounted and even entered mares a year later but he was very manageable in hand as a stallion or a gelding. There isnt a better horse around and now he belongs to Sterling! Merely a change in environment isnt bad for any horse so long as it is a good change.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Stayce,

not sure what to tell you...but i love my geldings...haha, i know im not much help, but oh well...haha

Will

We only have one unregistered miniature, who is also our first miniature that we brought home in 1999 when he was only 3mos old. He is now a grown and wonderful driving gelding and is one of our favorites. Only thing you "need" papers on a horse for are for registry shows and breeding. If you have a use for this guy, I say go for it but if you don't, let someone else who will put him to use get him.

I emailed the lady and told her I'd like to come look at him and see how my children do with him. I really really don't NEED him, if I'm going to be honest about it. We have horses here that the kids can show just fine and dandy. I won't go today. I'll go after I've thought about it some more. I'm actually trying to SELL a couple of mares, so I think I need to evaluate why I'm even thinking of adding on, without papers at that.

Thanks for your input!

Stacye

I emailed the lady and told her I'd like to come look at him and see how my children do with him. I really really don't NEED him, if I'm going to be honest about it. We have horses here that the kids can show just fine and dandy. I won't go today. I'll go after I've thought about it some more. I'm actually trying to SELL a couple of mares, so I think I need to evaluate why I'm even thinking of adding on, without papers at that.

Without papers, you wouldn't be able to show him at any registry shows.

But, if you do get him and he would make a great show gelding, you could get papers for him perhaps?

Or you could keep an eye out for a deserving youth who is dying for their own horse and "free lease" him to them? (that would help you keep control of his care and ensure he wasn't re-sold). Lots to think about.

Keep us updated ok?
default_smile.png

If you got him gelded and he's the right height for the registries, geldings arn't that much to hardship in, right?, so it wouldn't be too hard to get papers on him..

I'm just wondering where the deals like this are around here... *wink* the only time i ever get offered a free horse of any type is when I absolutely can't take one.
default_wacko.png
: Now that I actually have room for another horse no one is offering. Just my luck as usual, lol.

IF I had a use for him and IF he would fit in with my other horses I would snap him up in a heart beat, geld him, and just love on him. If not I would look around and see if anyone else I knew could give him a good loving home instead.

Latest posts

Back