Itchy Scratchy........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Yankee In NC

Reaction score
Ok, we have had Stuart for 2 weeks now and are enjoying every second with him.

I have noticed that he is scratching alot. Is this related to shedding? He seems to be starting to shed a bit.

His skin isn't flaky. I checked him for parasites.....but do not see any evidence of them.

I, of course, could just be behaving like a new Mom..lol...not really sure about all the aspects of Mini care.

I def. need to get him gelded as he seems to "like" his excercise ball a bit much..if you now what I mean.
default_wacko.png

Well, if I need to be concerned about the itching please let me know.

Otherwise, he is eating, playing, sleeping, urinating, defacating, teasing the dogs and trying to test me to see who will be the alpha and just generally being a great new addition to the family.
default_wub.png

It could be that he is starting to shed. All of ours have started lately and are starting to get itchy.

Has he been wormed lately? If not, it wouldn't hurt him and would be a good idea to do so.

So glad you are enjoying your new little guy!

I have a mare that kept scratching. No parasites, nothing. She just had some dry skin. I've been adding a couple tablespoons of oil to her feed each night and she's seemed to stop. So you might try that. I would definately worm him too just for safe causes. But he could be shedding. Mine aren't yet.

It isn't a bad idea, this time of year, to add some ground flax or a spoonful of oil to the feed to help with their skin condition during shedding. There are some feed additives on the market, as well, that are for skin/coat condition....if your horse is a bit 'plump' you don't want to be adding the calories of the oil addition.

Is he itchy all over or just in some spots? If he is really itchy everywhere...even unusual spots like the legs...then you might have a lice problem...some ivermectin never hurts.

Once it is warm enough, give him a nice bath with really warm water and a medicated shampoo or an oatmeal shampoo. This will help the hair release and speed up the shedding process.

Of course, if you are living in a cold climate...a bath might be a little while off just now <G>

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back