is this ok to do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistysOwner

Reaction score
i was wondering if it's ok to start driving 2yr olds. i saw a website where they start them at a year old and i was wondering if i could start my filly when she hits 2yrs old.

Well.... some people do drive 2 year olds. In AMHA and AMHR, you cannot show a horse in driving until they are three (as of Jan 1st).

In ASPC (shetlands) they must be two years old as to their ACTUAL BIRTHDAY (not Jan 1st).

I personally don't prefer to drive two year olds. I STRONGLY BELIEVE that young horses should be allowed to grow up and have plenty of "other learning" to do (clipping, trailering, manners, going to shows and showing in halter, playing and socializing) and I DO NOT RUSH MY HORSES.

Yes, it is tempting to rush the youngsters. However, if you CAN wait I personally would suggest to wait.

That said, I do like to show my 3 year olds in driving, particularly if they are Futurity horses.

My Shetland stallion is two this year, and will be three next year. I have JUST started ground driving and long lining him. I will do so every other day until January. This will give him 90 days of ground driving and long lining, and hopefully he will be ready to hook to the cart in January. I will then work with him in the cart all spring until the show season starts.

However, as a two year old he has learned to wear a surcingle and crupper, and bridle with bit. He has been freelunged and learned commands such as walk, trot, whoa, and reverse. As the year has gone on, I have lunged him INFREQUENTLY on the lunge line so that when I went to shows he knew how to behave on the lunge line and I could "get the sillies out" before his halter classes at long shows. I don't often lunge two year olds on a line though, as I do worry about their longterm soundness and don't feel that circling is good for their joints.

That is how I proceed with my youngsters. Take it easy on them, there shouldn't be a rush. Enjoy them in other ways.

Andrea

Myself, I would rather not, but have started them, done a lot of groundwork, long lining etc...even putting them to a light drag, but will not actually put them to a cart, and expect them to really go to work until the spring of their third year. Even then,that is only if I feel that particular horse is mature enough. I have waited until four and five, and have started broodmares and stallions as old as 11 with no problem; so don't feel there is a rush.

If you are looking for things to do with young minis (or any young horses) I highly recommend halter obstacle training. This can be as simple as teaching them to trust you to lead them over tarps and bridges to trotting over ground poles and walking UNDER things. You can practice opening and closing gates, carrying things from place to place, putting things (a jacket for example) on the minis back, walking through hula hoops, etc. Always keep safety in mind, but the possibilities are almost endless. And it will likely be helpful later on if you want to show, jump or drive.

As far as driving is concerned, I think it is common to start ground driving in the fall of their two year old year, with the aim of hooking to the cart the next spring when they are three. That was what we did with 2 of ours and the others are even older. Remember that they are still growing both physically and mentally, and even if they seem strong enough, their minds may not be ready. I know too many cases of people with minis that they can't drive because of a bad experience or accident they had when they were younger.

Each horse is very different, but if we know we have a 3 year old driving entry, we start them the fall of their 2 year old year. Because Maine weather stinks during the winter, they are not driven at all during the winter. We'll put the time into them the fall of their 2 year old year and get them hooked before snowfall. We may only get them hooked a dozen times in the fall, but I do feel it puts me a little ahead come spring. They are re-hooked in the spring and are ready to show as 3 year olds. We have 2 here who were not mentally ready to go as late 2 year olds and even 3 year olds, so each horse is different. Every driving horse we have right now was started the fall of their 2 year old year and were in the show ring driving at 3. We do NOT work them hard as late 2 year olds learning to drive. Enough to get them used to the cart, etc. Then during the winter when we cant get them hooked, I do alot of bitting rig work with them until the footing wont work for that. Then they get some time off. They always start right back up in the spring with the driving with no trouble. The 3 year old going into the ring next year was started September 1 and will go until the snow makes it too tough to drive. By giving them a few months as late 2 year olds, I am already a step ahead come spring with them. However, each horse is very different. Some are not physically mature enough to start as late 2 year olds. Some mentally are not ready. Each horse needs to be looked at indivdually. What works for one horse may not work for the other. I dont work my horses hard as 2 year olds when they are learning to drive and have never had a problem starting them as late 2 year olds. However, I also know which ones are not ready and leave them alone with driving until they are ready. We also dont rush anyone. We take our time, do it right and have never had a problem starting the ones WHO CAN HANDLE IT physically and mentally as late 2 year olds. If they cant handle it, we stop and try again their 3 year old year. I've got a 10 year old sitting in my barn who I started as a 2 year old who is very sound, and starting her as a 2 year old didnt affect her in a negative way. However, she was mentally and physically ready for it. Every horse is different, but those that are ready, we always start the fall of their 2 year old and just do it lightly.

~Jen~

Each horse is very different, but if we know we have a 3 year old driving entry, we start them the fall of their 2 year old year. Because Maine weather stinks during the winter, they are not driven at all during the winter. We'll put the time into them the fall of their 2 year old year and get them hooked before snowfall. We may only get them hooked a dozen times in the fall, but I do feel it puts me a little ahead come spring. They are re-hooked in the spring and are ready to show as 3 year olds. We have 2 here who were not mentally ready to go as late 2 year olds and even 3 year olds, so each horse is different. Every driving horse we have right now was started the fall of their 2 year old year and were in the show ring driving at 3. We do NOT work them hard as late 2 year olds learning to drive. Enough to get them used to the cart, etc. Then during the winter when we cant get them hooked, I do alot of bitting rig work with them until the footing wont work for that. Then they get some time off. They always start right back up in the spring with the driving with no trouble. The 3 year old going into the ring next year was started September 1 and will go until the snow makes it too tough to drive. By giving them a few months as late 2 year olds, I am already a step ahead come spring with them. However, each horse is very different. Some are not physically mature enough to start as late 2 year olds. Some mentally are not ready. Each horse needs to be looked at indivdually. What works for one horse may not work for the other. I dont work my horses hard as 2 year olds when they are learning to drive and have never had a problem starting them as late 2 year olds. However, I also know which ones are not ready and leave them alone with driving until they are ready. We also dont rush anyone. We take our time, do it right and have never had a problem starting the ones WHO CAN HANDLE IT physically and mentally as late 2 year olds. If they cant handle it, we stop and try again their 3 year old year. I've got a 10 year old sitting in my barn who I started as a 2 year old who is very sound, and starting her as a 2 year old didnt affect her in a negative way. However, she was mentally and physically ready for it. Every horse is different, but those that are ready, we always start the fall of their 2 year old and just do it lightly. ~Jen~

how do you tell if they're mentally and physically ready?

Each horse is very different, but if we know we have a 3 year old driving entry, we start them the fall of their 2 year old year. Because Maine weather stinks during the winter, they are not driven at all during the winter. We'll put the time into them the fall of their 2 year old year and get them hooked before snowfall. We may only get them hooked a dozen times in the fall, but I do feel it puts me a little ahead come spring. They are re-hooked in the spring and are ready to show as 3 year olds. We have 2 here who were not mentally ready to go as late 2 year olds and even 3 year olds, so each horse is different. Every driving horse we have right now was started the fall of their 2 year old year and were in the show ring driving at 3. We do NOT work them hard as late 2 year olds learning to drive. Enough to get them used to the cart, etc. Then during the winter when we cant get them hooked, I do alot of bitting rig work with them until the footing wont work for that. Then they get some time off. They always start right back up in the spring with the driving with no trouble. The 3 year old going into the ring next year was started September 1 and will go until the snow makes it too tough to drive. By giving them a few months as late 2 year olds, I am already a step ahead come spring with them. However, each horse is very different. Some are not physically mature enough to start as late 2 year olds. Some mentally are not ready. Each horse needs to be looked at indivdually. What works for one horse may not work for the other. I dont work my horses hard as 2 year olds when they are learning to drive and have never had a problem starting them as late 2 year olds. However, I also know which ones are not ready and leave them alone with driving until they are ready. We also dont rush anyone. We take our time, do it right and have never had a problem starting the ones WHO CAN HANDLE IT physically and mentally as late 2 year olds. If they cant handle it, we stop and try again their 3 year old year. I've got a 10 year old sitting in my barn who I started as a 2 year old who is very sound, and starting her as a 2 year old didnt affect her in a negative way. However, she was mentally and physically ready for it. Every horse is different, but those that are ready, we always start the fall of their 2 year old and just do it lightly. ~Jen~

I do the same thing. Physicly are they at or near their full growth. This way you know their knees are or almost closed. I will start my colt this year. He is 2 and will be 3 next year if I let him. He carries enough bone to hsndle driving. Our BTU granddaughter, even at 3 I would get out of the cart and let Jessie do the driving because she was lighter. She is finer boned that my colt and I just felt that she was struggleing too much. The more refined ones might look real good in the ring. But, if you are driving on roads that are not totally flat, I think it is just too much stress. I would be afraid of my horse breaking down. I have seen plenty of 2 year old Standardbreads break down before they ever get the chance to start.

Mentally, you just have to know your horse to know if they are ready to drive. It is much the same as in your big horse ready to train for saddle or do you do it just because everyone rides a 2 year old?

I start basic ground manners at 1 or 2, but still let them play in the pasture and be goof balls. From 2 till 4 years old I up the ground work, until they can be lead on a line of dental floss. Then to me by 4 they have learned obstical ground work ,lunging , de-spooking, trust , respect ,and the foundation to start learning to drive. It has worked for me in the past ,wothout burn out or overload. I love the age of 4 ... they have the confidence, pacients and ability to comprehend the more challenging things like driving without the confusion. As posted above all horses are different.

Last edited:
Personally I look at driving with minis like I do with standard horses for riding. WAIT until they are older, bones are comletely formed, their minds are usually more mature, and by then you hopefully have a stronger bond with them. 

I have always started my riding horses at 3 years of age, sometimes 4 but never before 3. I feel the same about my driving horses. I have been ground driving my 4y/o stallion for the past 2 years every once in a while and he knows his turns, back, left, right, stop with one rein, and his cues for different speeds. He also knows how to lunge quietly and respectfully for a few minuutes to get all the kinks out before we start training. I just started my 2 y/o stallion with ground driving and while he is not picking it up as fast as my 4y/o did when he was 2, he is still understanding and learning as all 2 y/o's should. 

I plan on hooking my 4 y/o to the cart as soon as I get it back from the shop for some touch-ups. I will definately wait on my 2y/o until I feel he is completely ready. 

It all depends on how you look at things, and the above is just my opinion. 

One thing about driving a young horse compared to riding a young horse is that they really aren't carrying any weight driving. Once they get the cart rolling, as long as you stay on flat ground they are not really moving much more than 5 to 10 pounds of weight. A riding horse is actually carrying the full weight of a person on their back so it is a much more important consideration as to when to start them. I agree, wait till your horse is both mentally and physically capable of the work. If you are not sure then you would likely be better off getting the assistance of a trainer to work with your horse - a good trainer will be able to tell you very quickly if your horse is ready or not.

Latest posts

Back