Is this cart okay?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whirled

Reaction score
This is cart for sale near me (very few and far between here). My Shetland is 10h. The cart owner said the shafts are 6ft. Are they supposed to bend like that at the end? Is the front of the cart supposed to come up so high?

This would be my first cart, just for having fun with....they are asking $300.

Thanks for looking and giving advice! :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Are they sure of the shaft length? Pictures can be deceiving but they don't look that long. 72" shafts would be very unlikely to fit a 40" pony. Most mini carts are 48" or 54" for the bigger B's as far as I've ever seen. The shafts on that cart look bent to me as well but if all else is sound and the tire size is appropriate something could be done about the shafts I would think. The dash looks okay to me. Hopefully some of our cart gurus will chime in.

The shafts do look bent but that could be straightened .Measure your pony from the points of the shoulder to the point of the rear..That will tell you how long your pony is..Then add 8-10 in..That is the length of shafts you need..Have the people that have the cart measure the shafts from the tip to where your traces attach..That will tell you the shaft length..If it doesn't have a single tree I suggest one be added..It will move with your pony and not rub as it would if the traces were attached to stationary hooks on the cart...Good luck on finding the right cart..Take your time..It took me a while to find the right cart, but boy am I glad I waited..But before you buy have someone sit in it and make sure it is balanced..And if the shafts are indeed bend,I would find out how they got that way..If it was from a wreck I would make sure the rest of the cart didn't get twisted..

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! I missed typed...the shafts are 5ft. I think the ideal for her would be 50"...

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! I missed typed...the shafts are 5ft. I think the ideal for her would be 50"...
They do have 49 in. and 52 in. shafts..Put an add on craigslist in farm and garden stating you are looking for a Mini cart..You never know what you could find..Also there is a Miniature horse cart group on facebook that is for carts for sale or people looking for a cart..If you can't find the group message me and I will send you the link..

Most "standard" Shetland size shafts are 60" or 66". For a 10H Shetland 60" shafts should be good. You don't want the shafts too short or they may bump her rump when stopping or going down hill (hopefully you will have breeching though) and her hocks or heels could clip it in the back if it's too short too, depending on her stride at the trot and extended trot. Too long isn't great either.

I just paid 75$ for the exact same wheels as on it lol i dont like the shafts, a competent metal working like a welder might could fix them, or they could just break, I've had it go both ways. They look like they have been in a wreck. proceed with caution. Check the welds, etc. It doesn't look like it has any suspension at all so if you have a bad back etc, the ride could be really rough, etc. Just points to think about.

Thank you all for the input! I've decided against this cart. There aren't many carts for sale here...but still this one seems suspicious and expensive for what it is. I have a lead on a nice, used training cart from people who have very nice carts and show a bunch.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back