Interesting article

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHY would any rescue import when there are SO many here in the states! :new_shocked:

WHY would any rescue import when there are SO many here in the states! :new_shocked:
Because in many areas there actually aren't many shelter dogs. They also can get puppies and small breeds which are always more desirable from out of the country. I just find it scary that this country has worked so hard to completely eliminate dog rabies and to have it brought back to this country in this manner....

Maybe instead of importing internationally they should import nationally from areas where there are high volumes of homeless animals!

The rabies part is just silly, do they not have to have a current rabies vaccination as well as a titre done post vaccination to show that the animal has made an appropriate immune response, prior to being imported?! Sounds like the fault of both the shelters as well as the importation governing body.

Rabies is still found in wild animals, the only reason there are not more domestic animal cases is that we are diligent in vaccinating for it. If domestic animals are unvaccinated for rabies, they are at risk and can contract rabies from wild animals such as bats, cyotes, skunks ect.! So its not completely eradicated yet!

* Sigh *

I still find it so silly that they would import animals when there are still so many here!

Maybe instead of importing internationally they should import nationally from areas where there are high volumes of homeless animals!

The rabies part is just silly, do they not have to have a current rabies vaccination as well as a titre done post vaccination to show that the animal has made an appropriate immune response, prior to being imported?! Sounds like the fault of both the shelters as well as the importation governing body.

Rabies is still found in wild animals, the only reason there are not more domestic animal cases is that we are diligent in vaccinating for it. If domestic animals are unvaccinated for rabies, they are at risk and can contract rabies from wild animals such as bats, cyotes, skunks ect.! So its not completely eradicated yet!

* Sigh *

I still find it so silly that they would import animals when there are still so many here!
CANINE rabies is different from the bat, raccoon, cow strains. And the US was declared canine rabies free just this year. 1 strain down several more to go.
default_wink.png
:

http://www.cdc.gov/news/2007/09/canine_rabies.html

There isn't any documented tracking of shelter statistics so the numbers are only a guess. Often the numbers are inflated to serve a purpose such as fund raising. BUT there are shelters in the US that have extremely low intakes and do import dogs, a few try to get dogs from US shelters, however I have been told that some shelters don't send animals outside of their area due to funding (ie funding is based on numbers). there are US rescues dedicated to saving foriegn dogs....google SATO.....Best Friends also has spent 100's of thousands bringing in dogs from war torn countries and other impoverished areas. Private party import of dogs is pretty lax in US if I bring in a pup there really isn't anything special to be done. Older dogs who aren't rabies vaccinated simply are to be quarantined and vaccinated once they arrive there is no oversight unless they are brought in for resale, such as brokered dogs for pet stores.

Rabies is actually a zoonotic virus. Meaning that it can be transferred between species. So therefore not completely eradicated at bats and wildlife can still give it to an unvaccinated dog, human, horse ect.

So while this canine strain has been eliminated, not all have, so there should still be concern. I was not trying to say you were wrong at all! just merely pointing out the fact that Rabies as a virus whole is still a concern!

As for bringing them into the US im quite surprised!!! After all thier work to eliminate the one strain why would they jeprodize that and not tighten up their importation rules?! It just seems silly to me!

That is scary. I think we do need stronger laws for people bringing dogs into the county.

As I have said before our local shelter imports dog since there are very few local dogs for adoption. Even the City shelter is no longer a kill shelter and they are now importing dogs. The dogs in the local shelters come from Puerto Rico, TN, WV and KY.

If you area has too many dogs find a shelter in an area that needs dogs and ship them there. There are a lot of volunteers that drive dogs across the county. My new dog came from Flint, Michigan. I found her on the internet , a RI shelter was working to get her to RI. 8 years ago when I was looking for a short hair medium female dog it took me 6 weeks to find one at the local shelters.

As for the rabies. That is scary. I think we do need stronger laws for people bringing dogs into the county.

I know it is not the same as importing from Mexico but our local shelters here in the Niagara Region in Ontario have been importing from Louisanna (sp?) for a while now.

At our clinic we once had a dog that the owners wanted to take with them as they were moving. I cant remember where but the protocol was good!

The dog had to be microchipped with an iso standard microchip FIRST (if he did not already have one) That way without a doubt the dog in question was him.

The dog was then vaccinated with the core vaccines, Distemper, Parvovirus and Rabies. and was dewormed, de flea'd, and examined.

A little while later ( cant remember) the dog then came back, was scanned for the microchip ( to make sure it was without a doubt the same dog) and had a rabies titre to show that he had mounted a sufficient immune response to the vaccine and was therefore protected.

The owners thought it was a bit of a begger to go through, but honestly the best for both the welfare of that animal as well as the others it will have come in contact with.

He was also tested for heart worm.

At our clinic we once had a dog that the owners wanted to take with them as they were moving. I cant remember where but the protocol was good!

The dog had to be microchipped with an iso standard microchip FIRST (if he did not already have one) That way without a doubt the dog in question was him.

The dog was then vaccinated with the core vaccines, Distemper, Parvovirus and Rabies. and was dewormed, de flea'd, and examined.

A little while later ( cant remember) the dog then came back, was scanned for the microchip ( to make sure it was without a doubt the same dog) and had a rabies titre to show that he had mounted a sufficient immune response to the vaccine and was therefore protected.

The owners thought it was a bit of a begger to go through, but honestly the best for both the welfare of that animal as well as the others it will have come in contact with.

He was also tested for heart worm.
Hawaii has very strict rules to bring in dogs and other animals. And import rules vary from state to state, the general usda federal guidelines are pretty loose so if a state doesn't have their own regulations importing is quite easy. The screw worms are scary because that has an impact on our livestock.

Latest posts

Back