Input from a farrier, please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
I realize that farriers are busy folks. I'm sure that you all have plenty to do. I don't have a problem with anyone if they will do what they say they are going to do or if they will respond to courtesy with courtesy in kind. BUT. Here is my problem...

Farrier #1 came once to do the minis toes. Out of seven, we did four, and three of them were very quiet. The other one was Jeff. Just trimming, no shoes. We had a barn to work in out of the elements and it was comfortable. Cost to me, $80.00 which considered very reasonable. He said he'd put me on his shedule and would call me in about six weeks to come back. No call. I called him numerous times at all his numbers and NEVER got a call back. The vet that recommended him said that he'd heard that he'd been acting funny and that he was not calling folks back so I wrote him off as a nut.

Farrier #2 came once. He showed up two hours late and kept me from attending my own birthday party. He had a good excuse, though, so I forgave that. I called him the other day and he was in Oklahoma and said he'd call me back when he was in town mid-week. Call? NOPE. Paid him $180.00 last time for about three hours work. I've tried to reach him a couple of times since, but no return call.

I've called several others over the last few days and have had them call me back, but I've been told fees anywhere from $25.00 to $40.00 per horse for a trim.

What is up with that? My horses all stand fairly well for the farrier, four of them are super and the other three are not too big of a challenge.

I went today and bought myself some good nippers and a rasp and will attempt tomorrow, with some help, to do them myself. Geez, it is just a trim and I think I can do it.

I'm starting to be ready to add farriers to the same list that I have doctors on.

Will let you know how it goes.

Stacye

I can understand your frustration. We experienced about the same thing with our first farrier. She would never show on time, if she came at all.

Sooooo, we got another farrier. He is awesome. He is very sweet to my horses, and always comes when scheduled. If he is going to be late, he calls.

We even barter on hay, one round bale for 3 trimmings. He gives extra attention to hooves when we are getting ready for shows. I couldn't be happier now.

Like any other profession, there are a few bad apples. But keep kissing those toads, and you will eventually find your farrier prince
default_wink.png
:

Hang in there, they are out there. It took us a while to find a good one that shows up when scheduled. We have him come by once a month, we have two horses that have founder issues and he makes sure their toes are kept rounded. We also have him do our show horses, the only complaint I had is he kept their feet just a tad longer than I really wanted, and this last time mentioned it to him that he could take the mini feet down just a little lower this year on our show horses. He did and they look super. He has said in the past that doing the mini's is a bit harder on the ol back :bgrin

Hang in there, they are out there. It took us a while to find a good one that shows up when scheduled. We have him come by once a month, we have two horses that have founder issues and he makes sure their toes are kept rounded. We also have him do our show horses, the only complaint I had is he kept their feet just a tad longer than I really wanted, and this last time mentioned it to him that he could take the mini feet down just a little lower this year on our show horses. He did and they look super. He has said in the past that doing the mini's is a bit harder on the ol back :bgrin

Shoot! Im still looking too, I had a schduled for a guy to come out, who has come out for me before (2 times), said that he would be there for 1pm, okay 3:30 rolled around, I had to be at work at 4pm. And he knew that as I stressed it out. I called left several messages. Needless to say I am still looking, I have some that are in need. I just got a guy's number, who is in Picayune, MS that I was told is pretty good. So I will be calling him this coming week.

I know exactly what you're talking about! The farriers around here usually don't show up, or do crappy work when they eventually pull into the driveway. I have 9 head of horses, 3 of them are minis. The farrier I use for my show horse, which needs nothing special, costs $85 for a reset. Not new shoes, not corrective shoeing...just trimming and shoes tacked back on. The one I have do the remaining 8 is okay, but is super hard to get scheduled...and, even though he knows I have 8 waiting to be done, usually only has time for 2 or 3. Hubby is going to retire in April, and he's going to farrier school in May. wooooooohoooooooo! I said I would agree to that, only on the stipulation that MY horses were first on his schedule when they need done. LOL

I do all my horses trims (9 fullsized and 3 minis) as we cannot find a farrier who is reliable or who does a half decent job for the price. I took a 2.5 day program at the Olds College for $215 so it made it worth it.

I get my aunt (an part time/half retired but not overly old farrier) to do my shoes, and my 1 old foundered welsh pony. She doesn't like doing farrier work anymore because her body can't take it (she is 43, so not that old, just been doing it for so long)

Good luck finding a farrier who you can rely on!!!!

OMGosh! You guys are so going to hate me! Of course I'll probably jinx the whole thing by posting this! :bgrin But my farrier is just a typical life-long horse person, no farrier school, but he does try to keep up on it by reading (never used a computer) and hands-on experience. He has great tools, is generally close to being on time, has never just not shown up. He curses under his breath when he has to trim or shoe my riding horse (a 17.1h belgian! :new_shocked: ) but he says the minis are easy. A bit hard on the back, but pretty easy compared to big horses. He charges me $6 per mini! Not per hoof, per horse!!! I usually write the check for $10 per mini, but he only asks for $6. He charges us $25 for the big horses. He comes every 6 weeks and we've learned a TON of general horse info from him!

As you can imagine, he has more business than he knows what to do with!

We love Howard around here!!
default_wub.png
:

Wow $10 a horse I wish. We pay $ 30 per horse but I really dont complain my farrier is very good with the little ones and tells me all the time I shouldnt worry about their behavior as mine are some of the best that he does. In fact I ve gotta get moving as he is scheduled to be here at 10 we do 5 at a time 3 Sundays in a row. Other than the price I love my farrier. Sometimes he doesnt call and is late but ususally he is here within 1/2 hour of time scheduled.

Man you guys make me wish I had a airplane I am a Farrier and specilize in the minis, ponies, and donkeys I e-mail or call all my customers at least a week in advaced and if I can't make it I call ahead so no one is wating for me or if I am ruinning late. I feel I am resonable for what I do I travel to alot of farms in my state and even out of state.

Good Luck to all who are having trouble!

And if you are going to attempt to do this on your own PLEASE take a class somewhere it is sooo much better for you and your horses!

RNR

I have had the same mini farrier for 5 years now. She is always there when she says she will be. If she can't be, things do happen in life, then she calls me to let me know. She hasn't changed prices in the entire 5 years and I think she does a great job. She is also very good with babies or horses that are scared. We are very blessed to have Alice doing our horses and being a friend. Good farriers and good friends are hard to come by some days.

I had the same trouble with farriers - had one that was great with the minis and with their hooves he would work my guys before he did their hooves so they would respect him and be easy , then he stopped with good reason he was going to school to really learn on the training part and gave up trimming, then there was another a husband and wife team they came once and when it came to the next time the wife said hubby got into an accident and was paralized so could not do it (felt bad for him)till I drove to the city one day and guess who I saw driving his truck - yup the hubby with wife beside him. What a lier guess he better watch out because things come around and hit you right back.

Finally my vet gave me a number to call - she just graduated from farrier school and she is young - yup she

I called her up and had a nice chat with her - she does clides and all types of big horses, and she came to do my guys and had a blast with them, they are so easy to do and she charged 25.00 per mini, she calls me for an apointment and knows when I think my guys need doing - wonder if she reads my mind. The kicker is she also trains minis as well as big horses and I have her training my minis and me to drive.
default_wub.png
:

She is a keeper, last time here she gave me an old rasp that she said was to dull for the big horses and said it would work great on my guys, she was right. Funny thing is I can never forget her name because mine is Lori and her name is Laurie. Maybe that is why she seems to read my mind and know to call when I think it is time to call her to come down
default_unsure.png
: good thing I only have 4 minis because she no longer takes in new people (she is very buisy ) I got her just in time and since I have the only minis she does , she gets a kick out of them and loves playing with one or 2 while I get another set up for her and trust me my guys actually line up waiting for their turn so to haulter them I just have to turn my back and one is their waiting. how cool is that.

When I got my first mini, I found a farrier in the local nickel paper. Great guy and did it all for charity. After the first time, he didn't return my calls and never came back.

Then I had my cousin trim my gelding. He'd had horses all his life and pretty much knew what he was doing. Yeah right :eek: He was trying to lift Jo's foot WAY too high and traumatized my poor horse. Thank God his hooves didn't grow worth a hoot because it was a long time before I found someone to do them.

Becky (RNR) drives 4-5 hours to get here and is getting quite the string of clients down this way. She's GREAT with minis, even after one of mine broke her rib kicking her :new_shocked: She's also the only one that's ever trimmed Faith and Faith now trusts her.

Decent ones are definately hard to find
default_yes.gif
:

Well, we had a hard time finding a good farrier WILLING to do the minis. What the good ones ended up doing was encouraging us to do our own and helping us learn. We also had a video and some books. We started out alternating so that we'd do them one time, then the farrier would do them the next time. It's been a couple years now since we have been doing all our horses totally on our own and I am very happy with the results. My husband actually does the trimming and I hold the horse and help advise :bgrin In fact, we just got in from trimming five of our horses this morning. My husband's A LOT easier to schedule than any of the farriers we used and we just do a few at a time as we have time and the horses need it done.

In my over 40 years with horses I have come across a lot of what you all are saying here. But I must say the good ones are out there if you are persistent, and maybe a bit lucky. I have 2 farriers now - one for my big horse (who is my age and doesn't do minis, but I'll give him my horse business until he retires) and FRED here on the forum! Fred comes all the way down here from New Hampshire, does a wonderful job, comes when she says she will, her fees are reasonable, and she even brought me flowers after my surgery!!! Oh, and she also filled in for my other farrier when HE had surgery. I could go on, but I think you get the point. So maybe your perfect farrier is a state or two away.

I pay $20 a trim, the more horses the less money.

But he is hard to get ahold of or to get to call you back. Especially when it gets heavy with the big horses. But out of all the ones I have had here he is the only one I trust and does a good job. The others have left my horses limping on more then one occasion.

I could probably do it myself but am to chicken.

When we were paying, i believe it was $35 (CDN) for a full sized horse and we didn't have the minis at the time. I figured it out that it was less than a years worth of trims to pay for that program I took. I was worried about messsing up before I took the program, but you gain the knowledge and confidence with the program. Now that i have been doing it for awhile now, my boss wants me to trim her broodmares for her. I am still thinking about it, but I think I may go do them cause they all stand well (when I was holding them for their farrier) and then I can charge less since I am not a certified farrier. She could get good trims for cheap, and I could make a little money doing it along with the knowledge.

I do all types of horses and have all kinds of clients. I do a lot of minis as I have them and show them. My husband is a farrier also. I have to do my own horses as my husband won't he's afraid of messing them up, and my guys are usually the last ones to get done. I usually return all my calls but over the many years I have been shoeing there have been times when I will not return calls. Show season is very busy for me and with two farriers in the house if a call comes in it is logged in the book. if I am away it gets pushed back and as good as hubby is a call can get forgotten. Then I have the clients who will not take NO for an answer. My husband found this out the hard way. I had a client that kept calling and I did not want to do the horses, [ the conditions were horrible and the horses ill-behaved] so Paul answered the phone and found out just why I wouldn't return the call. I have one client that I am going to drop and the reasons are clear. I went out of my way to do the horse last week [it was a gorgeous day that I could have been using to work MY horses]. I was on my way home from two very good clients and stopped in to do this spotted draft. Courtney and I waited as the man went down to tell his boss I arrived. We waited for half an hour and finally I was bout to leave [backing out of the driveway] when he came running up and got the horse. I was trimming the horse and he said he had to dump a load on the tractor and left, AND HE DIDN"T COME BACK! I had to leave a bill and put the horse up and I'm still mad about it. Thats why I will drop a client. Also though the horse is sweet she is not well behaved. Linda B

We have tried various farriers over the years. Some couldn't come when needed, others didn't do a very good job. Just when you would find a good one they would move somewhere else. Rod started doing our own, and trims all of our horses. The only time we have the farrier come is for the show horses, and occasionaly for his hitch.

Fortunately a young guy who ropes at the same arena as my son-in-law, went to farrier school and does a great job. Although we are the only ones with miniatures, he is always very interested in learning more about them.

One thing Rod found was that there are farrier tools and then there are farrier tools. At first he just picked some up at a tack shop. Then one of the farriers gave him some suggestions for brands that have better steel, and do a better job. It makes a big difference. Now he puts on his knee pads (he's over 6 feet, so bending is hard on the back!) and gets to work!

I have one client that I am going to drop and the reasons are clear.

I'm assuming, though, that you will tell the person that you are no longer going to trim their horses, rather then schedule an appointment and just never show up for it or return their calls? I respect someone who will be honest with me, but when they pretend like everything is fine and then just do not return or even call or return my calls it can effect my animals soundness and health and that just makes my head explode.

This is my biggest pet peeve. yes, i will be disappointed that yet another farrier has decided they don;t want to trim a mini, but i can understand that. They are short, and tiny, and when there is only one it is hardly worth what they get for it to even pull in my driveway. What i can't understand is the number of them who have just left me hanging with no warning or explanation. This leaves me with a horse in dire need of a trim instead of giving me 6 to 8 weeks to find someone else. It is rude and unprofessional. If nothing else a note or post card saying something like "I regret to inform you that i will no longer be able to do your horses feet." would be acceptable. If they don't want to explain why that is fine, though an explanation would be nice so if *I* am doing something wrong I can try to fix it... but before i found my current farrier I had to watch my old gelding suffer while i tried to find someone at the last minute because the farrier didn't have the common courtesy or courage to tell me right up front they wouldn't be back out.

Latest posts

Back