Info about Shetlands

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJF

Reaction score
I have had minis since 1994, and I have shown AMHA. I've recently started showing my minis in AMHR shows. Since I have been going to the shows I have grown an interest in the Shetlands and was wanting to know a few things about them. To show in the AMHR shows what height do they have to be under? What is the difference between Classics and Moderns? And if you could give me any other info that would really help me out!
yes.gif

Well, I can answer part of your questions. Hopefully some longtime Shetland breeders will also post. (We've only been breeding ASPC/AMHR Classics for about 7 years, so we are still learning!)

To show in AMHR, the horse must be registered with that registry and measure 38 inches or under. You'll find more Shetlands or Shetland crossed with Minis will measure in the "B" Division which is over 34 to 38 ".

Classic Shetlands do not have any Hackney blood in their pedigree, while Moderns do. I've also found that Moderns are often taller. Moderns come across as more animated, hotter in personality, and much higher "knee" action than Classics......IMO.

MA

theres also some good info on the amhr site about the differences in shetlands

www.shetlandminiature.com

Welcome to the shetland world. Lee & have been showing mini's since 86. He started showing shetlands about three years ago. We prefer the classics ourselves. They are easier on his back also, don't have to body clip them as much as mini's. Now we have to buy or raise one gentle enough for our grandbabies to ride after they outgrow our mini stallion ( avatar), perhaps even to show which would tickle grand daddy Lee to no end.

Hey. well i know English shetlands are different, but over here mini shetlands are 34" and under, a midi is 35" and a standard is 36-44"

All of ours are reg with spsbs. American shetlands are very beautiful and elegant, but im afraid to say i cant see the difference between mini horses and american shetlands
blush.gif
unsure.gif

Latest posts

Back