I'm no chef...and I HATE cooking!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I have always been one of those people that if it isn't frozen, microwavable, a top ramen or a grilled cheese sandwich, I wouldn't make it. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I have had a really bad habit of eating out the past few years. So much so, that my husband and I both shudder at the thought of which fast food place we want to eat at now. We've worn ourselves out, and we have a huge selection of fast food joints within a five minute drive (KFC, Arby's, Carls Jr, In & Out, Burger King, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Del Taco, Taco Bell, Dominos, the list goes on).

So now I've made the decision that I'm gonna cook. :new_shocked: I am obsessed with collecting easy recipes and have just over 350 now, and still counting. But I have yet to start making any. :eek: I need motivation!!! I have the time, I just lack the urge. I've gained so much weight, and I hate to think of all the things that people do to the food in restaurants (I used to work at Carl's Jr :smileypuke: ). I NEED to do this, and I plan on adding lots of fruits and veggies to the meals.
default_yes.gif
: But I have questions....

I keep seeing "grated Parmesan cheese" everywhere. What is this??? Is it actual cheese that you grate yourself or is it the dried packet stuff you get at a pizza place?

Do you have to use fresh herbs and spices, or can you substitute dried spices for most things? Also can red onion be substituted for white onion? I hate cutting onions!!!

Is there anyway to mask the smell of something? Every since I was a small child, I get horrid headaches when I smell raw celery. I have to avoid it at all costs. But I love cooked celery and would like to add it to soups and roasts. How can I do this? I was thinking that I can wear vicks under my nose? :bgrin

I have more questions but can't think of any right now. Any help/advice would be GREATLy appreciated!
default_smile.png

There are many places that offer quick and easy meals and meal plans. We have some places here that you go and prepare the food (several days worth) in their business kitchen, take the meals home and freeze them. A little more expensive than cooking for yourself, but a great alternative.

Grated Parmesan cheese comes in several varieties from, but I like the fresh grated stuff you can buy in packets like Cheddar cheese in the grocery store.

Fresh herbs are always better, but you have to get them while they are in season. The dried stuff is a little more potent and you can often use a little less. Most recipes are based on dried seasonings.

As for onions, red and white have different flavors - red are a little more sweet and white are a little more strong flavored. To cut them without the "tears", try soaking the onion in ice water for a few minutes before chopping it up.

I love my little food processor - saves tons of time and easily chops onions, veggies, etc... and may be a solution to your celery problem...lol

For quick and easy recipes, go to the Food Network website and look at Rachel Ray's 30 minute meal stuff - usually very easy to prepare and user friendly good meals.

I have always been one of those people that if it isn't frozen, microwavable, a top ramen or a grilled cheese sandwich, I wouldn't make it. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I have had a really bad habit of eating out the past few years. So much so, that my husband and I both shudder at the thought of which fast food place we want to eat at now. We've worn ourselves out, and we have a huge selection of fast food joints within a five minute drive (KFC, Arby's, Carls Jr, In & Out, Burger King, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Del Taco, Taco Bell, Dominos, the list goes on).

So now I've made the decision that I'm gonna cook. :new_shocked: I am obsessed with collecting easy recipes and have just over 350 now, and still counting. But I have yet to start making any. :eek: I need motivation!!! I have the time, I just lack the urge. I've gained so much weight, and I hate to think of all the things that people do to the food in restaurants (I used to work at Carl's Jr :smileypuke: ). I NEED to do this, and I plan on adding lots of fruits and veggies to the meals.
default_yes.gif
: But I have questions....

I keep seeing "grated Parmesan cheese" everywhere. What is this??? Is it actual cheese that you grate yourself or is it the dried packet stuff you get at a pizza place?

Do you have to use fresh herbs and spices, or can you substitute dried spices for most things? Also can red onion be substituted for white onion? I hate cutting onions!!!

Is there anyway to mask the smell of something? Every since I was a small child, I get horrid headaches when I smell raw celery. I have to avoid it at all costs. But I love cooked celery and would like to add it to soups and roasts. How can I do this? I was thinking that I can wear vicks under my nose? :bgrin

I have more questions but can't think of any right now. Any help/advice would be GREATLy appreciated!
default_smile.png

Is there anyway to mask the smell of something? Every since I was a small child, I get horrid headaches when I smell raw celery. I have to avoid it at all costs. But I love cooked celery and would like to add it to soups and roasts. How can I do this? I was thinking that I can wear vicks under my nose?
Nose plugs like for a swimming pool? I don't really know - but you can buy dried celery in the herb section of the store -- dont' know if you can substitute that. I did not know celery had any smell - can't say I ever noticed.

I am not much of a cook myself -- I tend to cook by smell -- and putting things together that I like -- some times it works and some times it does NOT work.

Best way to learn is to just do it.

For the onions and raw celery issues, buy yourself a small food processor, we used to call them Oscar's but not sure if those are still around. They are very small like they hold maybe two cups. You can put teh onion in there for chopping and celery too. If you use dried instead of fresh herbs you just have to remember to use a bit more. The dried flavors do not come out like teh fresh so you use a bit more for teh same effect. Grated Parmesean is like what you get in teh little packets at teh pizza place but if you buy the right kind and get 100% Parmesean it is much better. It has not been sitting on a shelf for two years. You can also buy a chunk of fresh parmesean and grate it yourself if you so choose. Red and white onions are very different in floavors adn texture so change them out sparinnly. White are mainly a cooking onion as are yellow, with white being a stronger flavor adn yellow much more mild. Red are more of a sweet onion and meant for things like salads where a fresh onion needs a light flavor.

Ok, I think that about covers your questiosn so far. LOL

Sorry minimama, I beg to differ with you.
default_smile.png
When you use herbs you use less dried than fresh. 1 Tablespoon fresh = 1 teaspoon dried = 1/4 teaspoon powered or ground. This is what I see in my books and what I have always done.
default_yes.gif
:

We sell frozen diced/sliced/chopped onions in bags here in Australia. I also can't stand cutting onions so this solves the problem! Maybe you can buy them there too. Sold in the frozen vegetable section of the supermarket.

Good luck!

I stand corrected. But I don't really measure anyway so, what do I know. LOL

For the celery effect....how about using celery seed? You can find it in the spice section of your grocery store. They're tiny little seeds that resemble grains of pepper.

Good luck eating smart healthy. It's a good way to go. I find the simpler I keep things the better it is. Like just plain 'ol steak roasted or broiled with a baked potatoe or sweet potatoe and veggies or a salad works for us.

Thank you everyone! I did just see chopped onion in our fresh produce area in Stater Bros. :aktion033: I pointed it out to hubby and he made a face, saying "It's cheaper to just buy one and cut it."
default_rolleyes.gif
: What he doesn't realize is...I'm the one cooking and we're already saving money by not eating out every night.
default_wink.png
:

I think I have a remedy for the celery too. My mom said that I can keep it at her house until I'm ready to use it, and that she'll even cut it up for me, so that I won't have to handle it a lot. Geeze...store does the onions, my mom does the celery...I'm beginning to like this cooking thing. :bgrin Am I spoiled or what??? :lol:

I love dried herbs, so I'll probably use them more than the fresh.

Does cooking oil make a difference? I want to use olive oil, but I notice that a lot of things say Vegetable oil. Also, instead of greasing a pan with butter, will cooking spray do the trick? Sorry, these seem like such stupid questions but I'm absolutely clueless! :eek:

Yes, cooking spray works instead of butter for greasing pans.

Oils... well it depends. I generally use olive oil a LOT, I think it tastes great, is healthiest, and pretty versatile. For things like deep frying I just use vegetable oil, as olive oil can be a little fragile for high heat.

You know, they do have cooking classes at community centers and junior colleges, etc.

There can be a lot to cooking... start with one recipe or so to perfect and then go from there. It gets easier as you go.

Andrea

default_frusty.gif
: The sad thing is...I took a cooking class in school. We used to have to do group meals, and I was the one who voluntered to wash the dishes.
default_whistling.gif
: Yep, regretting that one now! Everyone tells me that I cook well, on the rare occassion that I've actually done it. I can follow recipes to a T, there's just a few things that confuse me if it isn't literally spelled out.
default_sad.png

Thanks Andrea for mentioning about deep frying. I do plan on doing that sometimes, and I guess that the olive oil wouldn't really be great for that. So much to learn...

I look at it this way, since it's mostly a trial and error thing, me and my hsuband will probably be losing quite a bit of weight in the next few months. :cheeky-smiley-006:

You can buy glad bags made especially for the microwave....rinse fresh veggies, cut if large, add to back and microwave them. They are steamed beautifully by the moisture in/on the veggies. VERY healthy and no pans to wash :aktion033:

A George Forman grill cooks chicken breasts, steaks, chops, etc., very nicely and very quickly. Fat drains off into a container. You wipe them clean with a damp paper towel and DONE! Again, quick, easy, healthy.

A good chopper can do wonders for preparation. The high powered little bullet ones can make ice cream fast, whip up dips, chop leftover chicken, etc., for salads.

Gal, once you get going you will be hooked!!!! :bgrin AND.....lose weight, save money, plus feel great!

Remember avocados are really good for you -- lots of omegas and healthy oils -- flaxseed is good for us and the horses
default_wink.png
:

The kitchen gadgets out there will make it easy once you get motivated. A couple good meals will do that.

Let us know how it goes

I have been cooking since before I can even remember, and I so enjoy the whole process...from planning, to shopping, to chopping, to cooking and finally EATING!!! Eating out is so unhealthy for you and I am so happy you're taking this step in your lives.

Everyone has had great advice. I just wanted to add one thing. The Seventh Day Adventists in our area frequently hold cooking classes. They cook entirely vegetarian and that would be a good way to learn to cook lots of veggies and other good things. Statistically, Seventh Day Adventists are the healthiest and the longest lived of all Americans. Now I'm not an adventist or a vegetarian, but I've learned a lot from them. And their classes, at least here, are always free. Might be worth looking up.

Jayne

I'm not calling you a dummy but do they have a "Cooking for Dummies Cook Book "- you know the yellow book -
default_wacko.png
: no I mean the other one that teaches you how to do things. :bgrin Seems they have one for every other subject....... Oh & if you don't know - do not contaminate your fresh veggies, fruits etc with raw meat. Use a different cutting board for raw meats, don't put your cooked burgers, meat, etc back onto the plate that you had the raw burgers on.................. One of the easiest quickest meats to prepare. Keep a bag of Tyson frozen chicken uncooked tenderloins or breasts in the freezer. Thaw out what you need (in the fridge). Dip each piece in your favorite italian dressing & grill (or fry in a skillet in a bit of oil)..... I really do not enjoy cooking but I do a lot of it!...................................... I did a quick google search - there are several "Cooking for Dummies Cook Books" in print from cooking with kids dummies to Mexican dummies to Chinese.. Your library would be a great place to check for books also.

Last edited by a moderator:
here's my helpful tip: women are not the only ones that can cook, so get hubby involved!!!
default_wink.png
: i cooked for 20 years and i was so tired of it, boy did i get lucky when i married my husband, he has allergies real bad and can't do yard work so we traded, i get to be outside which i love and HE COOKS :aktion033: although he is such a GOOD cook that i have put on a few more pounds than i have been able to work off doing the yard work :eek:

If you like Lasagna that is really easy to make. do a layer of noodles (dried/raw) then a layer of spaghetti sauce. then another layer of noodles and a layer of either Ricotta or Cottage cheese mixed with 2 eggs. Then another layer of noodles and a layer of spaghetti sauce with a layer of mozzerella cheese.

I've also gotten inventive and mixed mozzerella and Parmesian cheese into the cottage cheese and it makes it extra good.

Then you cook it @ 350 for about an hour or untill the noodles are soft. Super easy and tastey!

Many people actually go to the effort of cooking the noodles first which makes for a whole lot more effort but this is easy in that the noodles aren't pre-cooked but cook in the sauce on their own. Takes a little longer cooking time but much less preparation and hands on!

I'm not calling you a dummy but do they have a "Cooking for Dummies Cook Book "
:new_shocked: :stupid: :new_rofl:

I'll have to look into getting one because I could sure use it. It's not that I don't know HOW to cook, I just don't know what all the ingredients are...and I lack the desire to cook.

PaintedPromise, sure sounds like you have it good!!! I wish my husband was a cook. He helps out with washing dishes and stuff, and he's already volunteered to help cut things up. I just feel bad because I only work 3 hours a day and he works 8 with a 2 hour commute. Good thing I gave him fair warning about me not liking to cook when we began dating. Driving a mile away and having someone else make dinner has always been so much easier. :517: But we're getting older and it's time to make healthy choices!

I did have a couple more questions for experienced cooks. What is the difference between...Bouillon, broth and consomme? Also what is "bouquet sauce" and "Vegetable juice cocktail" (is it like V8?)?

Thanks for the easy recipes Cathy and Boinky. Sounds yummy.
default_eat.gif
:

My husband and I cook all of the time. The older we get we find it tough to pick out things on a menu at a restrauant because we like the way we cook things better. I heavily recommend cooking stir frys at first. You will find that you will need to stock up on supplies to have on hand such as garlic, onions, olive oil, ginger (I put ginger through a garlic press), soy sauce, cooking sherry, red & white wine, baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt, pepper(crushed in much better), vinager, corn starch, dried spices like curry powder, crushed basil, curshed parsley, oregano, and also a good set of pans and pots. www.cooks.com has some great stir fry recipes. You can just enter in words to search like: beef stir fry and a ton of easy recipes will pop up. I also recommend buying the Better Homes New Cook Book. That is an awesome cook book with easy recipes of all types. Have fun.

Here is one of my all time favorite cookbooks. It is no longer in print, but is readily available as used from Amazon.com or even ebay.

The American Woman's Cookbook by Ruth Berolzheimer

The beauty of this book is that it is one of the longest published cookbooks ever. It was originally published around 1927 and was still being published into early 1970's.

There is a good reason for that... It has tons of information in it other than just recipies. An example of this is that it has how to set a table for different occasions. How and why things are cooked or prepared a certain way. For example: home made bread. It tells you at the beginning of the chapter how to check your yeast to see that it is good, and it also gives suggestions as to unexpected outcomes. An example would be why does bread have a "ropey" type of texture.

The book also does a good job of explaining cooking terms as well as preperation methods. (No microwave info as the book is too old for that.) For example, on homade sauces it is common to use four to make them by starting with making a Roux. (A roux is a mixture of oil, butter, or fat renderings and flour.) Well, the book tells you how to make the sauce, and also explains that in gourmet cooking the flour is cooked longer before liquid is added to get rid of the raw flour taste that sauces can have, but if you are in a hurry you can cut down the amount of time required.

Anyway, I find that many old time cookbooks are a great source of cooking knowledge. In fact, I have more antique cookbooks than any other in my library.

Have fun!

I just found an item I LOVE its Olive oil cooking spray like the Pam only in Olive Oil. I got mine at Big Lots, but I have seen it in the other grocery stores and wal-mart as well. I like to cook and I am just learning out of neccissity as we can't afford to buy all frozen food or eat out all the time. Some stuff comes out great, some comes out not so great. But its all in the fun, trying to cook something thats good for you that a 3yr old and an almost 2yr old will eat is no easy task.

Good Luck!

Karen

Latest posts

Back