I'm Getting a DOG!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrah

Reaction score
I am excitied beyond belief!

I am getting a DOG!

I have wanted a dog ever since I can remember. I am 19 years old now and this will be my first dog!!! All my friends think I am crazy because...well...this is my first dog!

My passion has always been for horses and dogs and I am just really excited to be able to bring a dog into my life.n I had to put a lot of thought and consideration into what breed I chose. I wanted a large dog at first, but since we do not have a fenced yard, I knew I needed to choose a small dog that has lower exercise requirements and doesn't mind spending time indoors with us.

I chose a Pomeranian as I have always been a fan of the big hairy dog...but now I can have a small hairy dog! I also like the attitude of the Pomeranian...I don't think I have ever seen a dog with a better sense of self and an adorable cockiness!

The Pom I chose is a 1 year old Pomeranian. He is registered and his parents are beautiful, puffy fluffy dogs that look just like a Pomeranian should. Turbo (thats the dogs name!) was unfortunate enough to be what the breeder calls a "throwback" Pom. I have no idea what that means, but I can tell you that Turbo is bigger than both his parents, less compact and has less hair. In fact he looks just like a miniature Golden Retriever and is the same color too. I had envisioned a beautiful show dog Pom...but for some reason I just fell in love with this misfit Pom!

Turbo has not been neutered yet and the breeder won't let him come home with us until he is neutered. Turbo will be coming home at the end of this month or early February and I can't wait!

I will be going back to the breeder's soon to take pictures!

I just wanted to share my excitement!

You go! congrats.. me and my 19 year old pommy gidget.. ive only had her 6 years and boy is she fun.. i sugest getting doggy steps for the sofa and bed its not good for pommys to jump.. a ramp would be better then steps.. my pommy has arthritis "mild" in her back legs so she has all that good stuff heh do post pics when you get one!

[SIZE=14pt]How exiting!! :aktion033: Now just remember - you are going to have a child for the next fifteen or so years - keep that in mind!
default_rolleyes.gif
: Cant wait to see the pictures and a big congrats to you and Turbo!! :cheeky-smiley-006: :538: :488:
[/SIZE]

Congrats on Turbo. I have what I would consider a "thorwback" Pom - my Foxy. She is larger than other Poms I have seen, but is extremely intelligent. I love her - and let me tell you, she loves me back. She loves my husband, but she is "my" dog. She and I have great fun. We'll be heading over to Paradise Ranch today and she'll have a ball playing with Kristy's big dogs.

I wouldn't trade her for anything. Have fun with yours - pictures please.

Barbie

Congratulations!!!

If there is one four legged thing I love more than my horses, it is my dogs
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Congratulations!!!!! :aktion033:

I got my first dog when I was 18...an Afghan Hound. Not an easy breed

for a first time dog owner, but I've never been dogless since.

Enjoy!!!

Shelley

CONGRATS! :aktion033: I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM...YOU MUST BE SOOO EXCITED!
default_smile.png
NIKKI

woo hoo, good for you :aktion033: :aktion033:

hope the two of you have a LONG and HAPPY life together!!!!

however take it from a person with 8 dogs (currently) - they are like potato chips (and horses), you can't have just one...

Yay! I had two Poms when I was a teen (my folks still have the one) and they are terrific dogs - very loyal and full of spunk! They do require a lot of brushing, though, or they will shed all over the place. Ours tend(ed) to get very hot in the summer so we would always give them terrible haircuts by shaving their hair to about a 1/2" long. They looked funny but were much happier for it.

Ours were/are farm dogs - our blondie, Lobo, is the reigning gopher killer, I think he is better at it than our old Malamute/Collie was! My mom takes him out to check her traps and he kills the gophers for her, never gets tired of it. Of course, now she has a nest of ravens that return every year and now they generally take care of the gophers, and Lobo doesn't seem to mind - he'll be 14 in April, so he's slowing down!

I would definitely have a Pom again, if my husband would let me have an indoor dog. I do have five outdoor dogs, though!

Congrats on you and Turbo. I always wanted a Pom but when I got married, we decided to check out the local pound and got the next best thing...A Schipperke. You never really hear to much about them but I love my Spaz, as we call him around here. Pretty like an overgrown Pom is what he is...LOL. But I think he has lots more energy than a Pom does..But then I wouldn't know but have fun with your new furkid.

i take gidget and get a like shnorzer cut. her legs and hed is a lil longer then her body and its only 1/2 inch.. there not alout to tuch her tail at all!. gidget didnt shed till she was about 17.. then she started shedding like crazy. now its not as bad anymore

Congratulations on your first dog! A Pom is a good and fun choice, keep a brush handy for Turbo, they need alot of brushing, but as small as they are, it takes no time to do a good brushing from front to back.

How much does Turbo weigh? I use to raise teacup Poms, I had 5 and 1 stud. My favorite was Kibbles who I bought as a puppy. She was 8 weeks old and less that 1 pound. At full grown, she was 3 lbs. She was the cutest, sweetest thing, and loved to lay across my shouldres while I drove. When semi truck would come, I'd ask, "Do you see it?" She would perk up and look out the window, when the semi began passing, I'd say, there it is, and she acted like she was big stuff, barking and carrying on. She felt she won the battle when the truck would get passed and she'd lay back down.

Do know that Poms can over heat easily. If we were traveling in the summer, I'd put a 1/2 frozen water bottle filled the rest with water and wrapped in a light towel. I did this with warm water in the winter too since she was like yours and didn't have that thick coat that alot of Poms had.

Yes, like mentioned, if Turbo is very small, like 8 lbs. or less, they can break a bone when jumping off furniture. A friend of mine had a 6 lb, Pom who was 3 yrs. old and when he jumped off their couch, he broke his leg.

You are going to have so much fun with Turbo! Now... I just noticed that you had some pictures to share.... so I am going off to take a look. :~)

~Karen

:aktion033: I think and feel your choice of Breed is an excell. one. You really can't beat a Pom as they are the perfect travel companion and take up so little space. They can charm the best out of you on you worst day and can chase away nthe teary eye days. I had one and he past away and I just got another not to long ago and poms will always love you back. Thier personality really can't be beat or in other words great choice. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back