Ideal Temp for foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
Since there is so much discussion regarding foaling and I have my first ever foal due in Feb. (not my doing, she was already bred) I was wondering at what temp other breeders feel at ease to have their mares foal?? I can provide a heater for her and the foal, but want to ensure there comfort and safety. I have enjoyed following along the other discussions and have gained so much! I am VERY nervous about this birth, since it is so early. So what temps are your ideal birthing situation.

I don't know where you live, but here, it can be pretty cold in February. If I were having one in February, I would enclose a stall the best I could with tarps. If it is really cold when the foal arrives, I would probably put a heat lamp high enough not to be played with by the mother--just to take the chill off. When the foal was first born, I would dry it the best I could and then cover it till the little guy was completely dry. After that, I would be paying attention for shivering. If it appears to be cold, I would probably put a light blanket on and maybe a second so that I could also take it off in layers rather than use a heavy blanket and then take it all off at once. (I like the thin 40" x 60" blankets I get for a few $$ that I also throw in my car and truck for emergencies. I would cut one or two down and tape each layer on the little one--not allowing much bulk to hang around to get in the way) After it appears warm and mom has had time to settle down, you will probably be able to turn off the heat lamp--probably a couple of days. I would then let them out on sunny days to get exercise and keep them in the tarped stall at night until the nights weren't in the subzero temps. If the stall is not too big, Mom's heat will keep the little one warm at night.

Good luck and can't wait to see what she has for you.

Angie

This is a big mare that I had. She foaled on Feb 4th. The temps had been subzero and warmed up to 4 degrees. She foaled in a box stall with out heat lamps or tarps. I kept them in for about 3-4 days and then they got turned out snow and all. I did put a down vest on the foal for the first couple of days since I did not have a foal blanket.

Horses.jpg

My first foal was born on Feb. 22nd during a snow storm. She was very strong and came into the world prepared with a thick coat. I had put the mare in her stall after a bit of a check and groom etc. Went in for 1/2 an hour and went out and there was a filly standing there and the mare's placenta was out! How's that for quick?! lol. Anyway. I put a blanket on her that night, after she dried off, and that was it.

Here she is on day two
default_biggrin.png

Addison4.jpg

I'm in Northern California so our winters are mid 30's-40's. We had a foal born November 8th this year, and it was colder than normal dipping down to right at freezing a few nights. We kept him locked up at night and double blanketed. Daytime removed one blanket in the early a.m., and unblanketed during the day - rain or shine. He had a very thick coat and within a week was out with the rest of the mares/foals. I did notice he's put on more weight than the spring/summer foals. He's doing wonderfully even with all the rain we've been getting. My horses tend to view shelters as ideal places to pee/poop, but not get out of the elements.

Last February, we had a mare foal out on our property in a rain storm, fortunately it wasn't freezing cold (mid 50's). But he was a really fuzzy, chunky foal at birth. He did fine without ever being blanketed more than a day or two. He probably didn't need it, but I did it anyway.

You really need to consider your area as everyone's setup is different and also what you're comfortable with. How much rain do you get? Wind? Snow? All of that needs to be considered.

I do remember being in your position eleven years ago. I bought three Minis and found out when they were delivered one was pregnant. So I stressed and worried and bought everything I thought I'd need. The mare foaled on her own (she's the one that had the last foal in February too - super sneaky mare), and is an excellent dam. If I a horse could laugh she would have while I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off doing all the things we need to for a new foal.

On a side note, I personally don't believe air tight barns are good for horses. Many develop respiratory infections from the lack of fresh air circulation. Straw, hay and bedding are dusty, add to that mold and urine regardless how clean you keep it. In winter the build up can happen and make your horses sick. My .02.

Unless you have an ill horse or one that is clipped (for showing) or are in extreme temperature conditions, Minis tend to do quite well with the elements. They're very hairy insulated and have access to good hay (internal heating), they keep quite warm. What mine do not like is rain that is blowing sideways. It doesn't drain off well and they get wet to the skin.

I agree with Matt and Michelle.......

Good ventilation is important (without drafts), but good bedding and drying off the foal is vital.

We have heat lamps if necessary, but find that drying off the foal and blanketing during the first 24 hours is even more important. Newborns have a hard time regulating their core body temp during those first 24 hours.

I personally believe cold is better then then hot temps for foals once you get past the first 24-36 hours or so. The key is in drying them off at birth. Our winter baby was out playing in the snow for a few hours a day at just a couple hours old. I made sure the first week or so he always was inside when he wanted to lay down after that they had access to plenty of dry places to lay down and that was it no blanketing- no heater he was healthy and energetic and I had the wonderful advantage of weaning in warm weather not as it was getting colder.

I think as long as it is not wet and windy you will be fine usually those winter babies are born with quite a hair coat

Latest posts

Back