I want to know

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowsmystictopaz

Reaction score
For over a year now i have gone to some of the big name appaloosa breeders and I look to see if they have anything new on the website and so on. I see a stallion I like I email them and ask if one of my mares could get a breeding to the stallion I saw on the website that has some showing on them but not alot. They say no with not much of a reason. The stallion is perfect in every way and try as I might to get them to say yes they tell me no every time. My question is why wont they allow there stallion to breed to outside mares if they have a good conformation disposition show career and bloodline? I really want to know because I think that they should allow the stallions conformation and pedigree to be passed on rather then waiting for one of there own mares to foal out that is breed to the stallion that is on there own farm or ranch. Its really costly that way because then you have to wait for the baby to arrive and even if you like the baby it might be to exspensive for you to buy. Also another problem comes up for me. What if the mares they have dont make the kind of conformation you want or have the right bloodline or color you might want. That really is a issue for me. I have amazing mares that I think deserve the stallions that I like because all the time on here I am hearing that conformation is important and so is pedigree personality and some show background. If this stallion has that and is what you want dont you think they should give your mares a try? I would definitly give them a try if I was the owner of the breeding stallion considering conformation pedigree and so on. I dont want anyon getting in a fight with this so plz be nice about it. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a breeder, but I know that some farms do not breed to outside mares. They may not have the time, space or facilities to house outside mares. They may not want to deal with the insurance, etc. that comes with having/breeding someone else's horses. There could be lots of reasons they choose to not allow you to bring your mares to their farm for breeding.

I'm sorry you're having trouble but as a stallion owner, I understand "why" someone wouldn't want to stand to outside mares. I don't want to be responsible for taking care of someone else's mare. I don't want to deal with the way a lot of horse people seem to be. I have spent a lot of time and money selecting mares that I think will cross nicely to my stallions. If someone wants a foal by one of them, then maybe they can buy one from me. At this time, there's not any stud fee that would make it worth it to me to have other mares in here, regardless of how nice the mare may be.

I feel the same way as Jill..........(AGAIN).
default_biggrin.png
It seems that Jill and I have very similar views on horse management.

It really is a pain to breed your stallion to outside mares. There are so many things that could go wrong.

The only time we do it anymore is if it's with a good friend, who we know how they manage their horses. Plus, we have our "miniv family" of folks who have purchased from us.

My suggestion is that if you have found a stallion that you just HAVE to use for your mares, take the time to get to know the owner(s). Perhaps, once you and they are friends, they may consider it. And even if you become good friends........be sure there is a written breeding contract.

MA

The risks far outweigh the $$$. Unbeknowst to you, your mare could bring something into the stallion owners herd, your mare could get hurt during breeding, she could get sick just changing residences, many don't have a space for a single mare and won't risk mixing their mares with yours, it goes on and on. Don't take it personally, I would watch for a good stallion for sale or get a colt from him and good mare.

Thanks for the ideas and your ideas gave me another question. What if they send artifical insemination instead. That way the mare wouldnt be on there property or even in the barn and there wouldnt be any problems with passing on anything if she did happen to get sick. Altho I dont know how long semen lasts or the sperm for that matter.

Thanks for the ideas and your ideas gave me another question. What if they send artifical insemination instead. That way the mare wouldnt be on there property or even in the barn and there wouldnt be any problems with passing on anything if she did happen to get sick. Altho I dont know how long semen lasts or the sperm for that matter.
AI is not allowed for registered miniatures as far as I know.

Also, even though YOU think your mares are "amazing" does not mean that the stallion owner might feel the same way. Quality can be subjective, and sometimes mare owners are barn blind.

The stallion owner's foals might be "too expensive" because they have invested a lot of time and money to produce those foals, and they are priced accordingly. And further, they might have the experience to know what their stallion crosses best with (even if YOU don't like those bloodlines or type of mare) to produce those "too expensive" foals. The mare YOU have might not be what actually crosses best with the stallion.

Don't dispair... try to continue to refine your eye, show your mares to get a great show record on them so they might be more attractive to those stallion owners. If your mare goes National Top Ten in open halter they might be more willing to take a look at them (unless your mares are National Champions that I'm unaware of!).

The reality is that sometimes we have to really work to improve the quality of horses we have. And sometimes the quality of horses we have now, is not really where we need to be.

Andrea

As to the A.I... I suggest you discuss this with your veterinarian and study up on it a little bit. You will find that there is a LOT of time, effort, and money involved with this method. Although you save on shipping your mare and mare care... the ultrasounding, shipping of semen, and vet calls to inseminate the mare add up to a lot of $$$ and takes a lot of training and time on the stallion owner's end too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally none of my business but what if you found a good son of one of these stallions to purchase? Then you'd have the same line and breeding as the stallion you like so well, keep him a couple years and sell him to a good home? Just an idea.

Maxine

We have thought about doing outside breedings as there are many nice mares owned by other people that would make great crosses with our stallions, but we finally have decided that we just don't feel like we have enough facilities for outside horses and just plain don't have the time. Our stallions would be more than willing! It is a big responsibility to care for other peoples horses and at our age decided that we just don't need the stress. Would be wonderful to have a large breeding facility though! (and the time!)

AI is allowed in amhr its just very pricey and time consuming to do. I think though in the future it will get more popular

They say no with not much of a reason. The stallion is perfect in every way and try as I might to get them to say yes they tell me no every time. My question is why wont they allow there stallion to breed to outside mares if they have a good conformation disposition show career and bloodline? I really want to know because I think that they should allow the stallions conformation and pedigree to be passed
They are not obligated to give you a reason......their horse........their prerogative. Nobody has the right to tell anyone what to do with their animals. You have been given many good reasons here already, but the bottom line is that no reason is needed.

Also, even though YOU think your mares are "amazing" does not mean that the stallion owner might feel the same way. Quality can be subjective, and sometimes mare owners are barn blind.
Exactly. I have no idea what your mares look like but one person's "amazing" can be another's give away.
default_wink.png
And BTW......there is not a stallion on earth that is "perfect in every way" either. I hope you find another "special" stallion that you will be able to breed your mares too.

We too do not stand our stallions to outside mares. It is just too great a responsibility with people being so unpredictable and demanding. Also we do not want our boys used with just anything...very particular. Not enough good mares around. Yes, we might make an exception but it would have to be a very nice mare. We have even turned down friends and one stayed very mad but he does not have the quality of mares we think should be used for breeding. I know there are people who think we should stand our stallions at stud because they could do some improving but we don't have our horses for making money, they are for our pleasure. I wish more people could understand this instead of thinking we are being mean. Mary

Okay so some have reasons but have you ever thought about the horses they might own. i have been to a few appy breeding farm websites and i see a nice stallion but I see mares that I belive dont fit them now can you explane that to me? If they love that stallion so much why are the mares not as fitting to there conformation and beauty?

You are missing the point.

It is NOT their responsibility to explain anything to you at all.

Speaking as a long time stallion owner /handler/ slave, I have NEVER been hurt by a stallion- not one that I was responsible for, anyway (!) but I have been badly hurt by "Mummy's little darling" mares, including one Mini mare that walked off the trailer and kneecapped my WHILST HER OWNER WAS HOLDING HER!!!!!

Yes, she let her turn round and fly back into me and kick me.

And Yes she said "Oh she has never done that before"

And YES she went home with her owner- NO explanation (she still thought I needed to giver her one.

I am dispensable and easy and cheap to hospitalise, my horse is NOT!!
default_biggrin.png

Just how happy would you be, BTW, if the owner of the stallion, from looking at pictures of your mare told you she did not think your mare was up to her stallions standards???

How insulted would you be, on a scale of one to ten??

More insulted than she would be by your opinion of her mares???

Okay so some have reasons but have you ever thought about the horses they might own. i have been to a few appy breeding farm websites and i see a nice stallion but I see mares that I belive dont fit them now can you explane that to me? If they love that stallion so much why are the mares not as fitting to there conformation and beauty?
Everyone has different eyes and see things different. You may not like those mares, but apparently the owner does! Regardless of what outsiders think, it's their horses, they chose them for their breeding program because that is what they want. Just because you don't like the horse does not mean the owner shouldn't be breeding them. It's the owner's choice to do what they want with their breeding stock.

You may not think their mares are "good enough" for their stallion, but the bottom line is it is their stallion, and they have chosen their mares for whatever reasons that they have of their own. They could have any number of reasons for choosing the mares they have chosen! Could be pedigree, could be movement, could be because the mares have proven themselves to be excellent producers, could be because the mares have the conformation they (owners) want in their mares, even if "you" don't think the mares are the right quality. You think your mares are better than theirs, but personal preferences being what they are, the stallion owner may believe that his mares are far superior to yours.

Bottom line is, the stallion owner does not owe you--or anyone else--any reason for his refusal. All he is required to say is no, I'm sorry, I do not stand my stallion to outside mares. If I were that stallion owner that told you that & you questioned me as to why I won't breed outside mares, my response would be "because I just don't". I can have 101 reasons to not breed outside mares, all of them good reasons, but I'm not required to list them off for every mare owner that asks!

As for breeding AI, with transported semen--if the stallion owner doesn't already do semen transport he isn't likely to want to bother starting just to accomodate you. sure, he wouldn't have to have the responsibility of keeping outside mares nor does he have the risk associated with breeding strange mares by live cover, but he would then have to collect his stallion, do some tests to determine how well his stallion's semen will ship, he'll have to experiment with extenders to find the one that works best for his particular stallion...it's a tremendous amount of work and expense if it's not something he's planning on doing on a regular basis. And, if part of the reason that he doesn't want to breed outside mares is (as some here have already mentioned) he doesn't want to deal with mare owners....semen transport still requires that the stallion owner deals with mare owners!

I'm sorry you're having trouble but as a stallion owner, I understand "why" someone wouldn't want to stand to outside mares. I don't want to be responsible for taking care of someone else's mare. I don't want to deal with the way a lot of horse people seem to be. I have spent a lot of time and money selecting mares that I think will cross nicely to my stallions. If someone wants a foal by one of them, then maybe they can buy one from me. At this time, there's not any stud fee that would make it worth it to me to have other mares in here, regardless of how nice the mare may be.

I completely agree with what Jill has explained to you. That's the way I feel about it too.

I think the stallion owners you are trying to contact should answer your email as a courtesy. It does not hurt to be polite. And when someone tells you "no " that means no........ and you should be polite and say "thank you for your reponse" end of story. No one owes you any explaination of why or how they prefer to do things on their own farm with their own horses.

Latest posts

Back