I want a harness and need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooper scooper

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I am looking for a harness for my mini which I will use for pleasure not showing. Where i live there are hills. Some of the harnesses I see don't have breeching, do I need that for the hills? Also what about the cups for the end of the shafts? What do they do and do I need them?
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

You want to find a full harness. Most you can buy a breeching separate if it isn't sold with the harness set. But the breeching acts like a braking system so the cart won't run into the back of your horse and cause some big problems. I've never used the cups for the shaft ends. I think they are there to protect your cart, but I'm not too sure. But definately....get a harness with a breeching! You'll love it and be safer in the end.
default_smile.png

Have fun! I love taking a stroll around the roads. Utah's got some nice scenery!!!
default_biggrin.png

The "cup ends" are called thimbles, and their purpose is to hold the cart back--some people use them in place of breeching, but really they are nowhere near as effective or safe as breeching. Thimbles still put all the pressure of braking on the saddle (and therefore the horse's back). For driving out on the roads or across country--and particularly if you are driving on hills--I would not use thimbles in place of breeching.

With breeching, the thimbles aren't necessary.

Latest posts

Back