How to wash a horse in such cold weather??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the vacuum idea a couple times for spring clips on horses who had never been near one. After just a few moments they got used to the noise and I just went slow and in no time they all loved it. Much easier than I thought it would be.

I just sold a palomino colt & washed his tail in a bucket of soapy water, then rinsed it in a bucket of clean water. Blot with towel then blow dry. I spot cleaned his body then brushed & brushed........... Few years ago on here someone suggested the businesses that offer dog washing facilities.

When we do our local stock shows in December & January we don't bathe the horses or ponies. Sometimes we vacuum, but mostly we trim whiskers, bridle path and fetlocks. We use baby wipes or warm wet cloths to clean nose, eyes, ears and any really dirty spots. We brush, brush, brush and use a groom block that helps lay the hair down and add shine. We clean up their feet and put hoof polish on and we're ready. We live in Texas and it is sometimes fairly warm, but still with winter hair they take much too long to dry.

Michelle - enjoying sunshine today
default_aktion033.gif

One of my mares isn't real fond of the clippers but, we have a very small Shop Vac. The 1 or 2 gallon size. She didn't spook 1 bit with the vacuum when we blew or vacuumed. I would try the vacuum if I were you. You can get the real small ones at Wal-Mart for around $20.

Hi - I have the same problem. I'm taking a mostly white mini to a 4-H event and need to wash him. I've really learned a lot from your posts. Thanks.

I really liked the idea of the Motel 6! I wonder if the motel keeper would be suspicious if I drove up with a horse trailer? When I lived in Texas, the owners of the laundromats used to post signs "No horse blanket washing". Darn. So poor hubby got itchy undies after I had to wash the blankets in my washer!!!

I'm going to try the old vacuum idea and then work my way up to hand washing before I try a full shampoo. I bought Showsheen, Showclean, and Miracle Groom so I have that on hand. I can run a hose from the basement sink to the outside so I can have lots of hot water. But it's 55 in Maryland and still freezing at night so I dont want to soak him. Thanks for all the useful tips. I'm sure the kids will love petting him at the event and won't even notice the yellow streaks in his tail or that little brown spot on his hip.

KAYO said:
I worked at Keenland during auctions and the January sale was always the hardest to clean up the sale horses. What we did was mix warm water, alcohol and show sheen, I can't remember the ratio, (it's been awhile) but I think the alcohol helps to dry the horses quickly. We would towel them off with the mixture and then dry towel them.
The problem with rubbing alcohol is that evaporation is a cooling method. Combined driving competitors use an alcohol and water mix to wash their horses down with to disappate heat at vet check!
default_new_shocked.gif
If you're trying to keep the horse warm I think I'd avoid it.

coopermini said:
I've used the vacuum idea a couple times for spring clips on horses who had never been near one. After just a few moments they got used to the noise and I just went slow and in no time they all loved it. Much easier than I thought it would be.
I finally gave up and bought a horse vacuum this winter and don't know how I ever lived without it. Kody isn't overly fond of it but he likes the fact we get done with grooming a lot quicker. My Arab, on the other hand, has decided he loves it! And this is a suspicious senior citizen that has never trusted any variety of power tool.
default_wacko.png
But as Coopermini said he surprised me by settling very quickly and acting like an old hand at it within minutes. I still have to be careful when I first turn it on but by the time I get done with the first leg he's all but purring. Try it! It's amazing how much cleaner they are after a blowing.

Leia

I had a similar problem showing an Arab a number of years ago,

in an early spring show....

Not totally shed out yet but had a nice coat.....

The vacuuming is the best idea and you might be surprised how

much your little horse likes it.... They seem to love the feeling

once they get used to the noise, start just running it so they get

used to the noise and then start low on the legs and work your

way up.......My guys lean into me while I do it....love it.

The next thing I did was use Show Sheen.....pretty much soaked

him in it, sprayed against the grain of the hair, rubbed him good

with a towel to work it in and then brushed and brushed and

brushed.

Lots of comments how gorgeous his coat looked for so early

in the season..........

Good grief whatever happened to BRUSHES and good old fashioned elbow grease???????????

Marty, I used those. A lot. And when I clipped in spring the horse still had a skin condition despite careful daily groomings every single night all winter long, groomings where I worked hard to get down to the skin and thought I was deep cleaning. Ha!

I still apply lots of elbow grease brushing to stimulate the skin and spread healthy oils...AFTER I get all the dirt off with a vacuum! *LOL* He no longer has that nasty grungy feeling when you touch him.

Leia

Brush, curry and vacumn. I use a rubber curry to work up all the dust and dirt. Then vacume and repeat, repeat, repeat. I have taken horses to nursing homes after this method. I have used a baby wipe on a spot or two and sometimes the face, but would much rather spend a LOT of time with the brush, curry, vacume method than get a horse wet in the winter. Someone earlier said they would rather have a healthy dirty horse than a clean one that could catch cold from being too wet and I agree with that.

Latest posts

Back