How to handle a nosy horse while driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, I have a mare that is green broke to drive, and I also am rookie so we are learning together. I did break her, she is great and a natural. She is bright and curious, high head and big trot. After working her for a very long time I hitched her for the first time around christmas. I have been working with a 4-5 days a week, she is very good, and we were both comfortable enough to go down the road the other day for the first time. She has not been off our farm for a while and is very nosey, as we drove past the first house she could not see with her blinders and arched her neck, turning her head at the house, the following house she turned her head to the opposite side to check out that home! It was kind of funny, she did not weave, or have any reaction, she just casually looked at the homes as we drove by. I do not think she is supposed to do this to show her, is she? How should I handle this?

LSD ( Long slow distance). She needs time and experience.

Doing some "real work" with her may also get her "attention". Instead of just going round and round the arena or down the road, doing some easy obstacle work will start to establish a "work ethic" and help her understand that she needs to listen to you no matter what the circumstance. Horses don't get to make decisions, and she is making decisions.

I would also suggest some lessons for you, especially on a "finished" horse. That way you will know how it is "supposed" to feel. It doesn't matter what size horse you take lessons with. It doesn't have to be a mini for you to get experience.

Myrna

Myrna gave you some good advice there - time for the horse and lessons for yourself
default_yes.gif

It doesn't sound like she is being goofy or anything that is causing you a problem so it wouldn't be a big concern to me. She is out in strange territory. A horse's main line of defence is to be highly vigilant and aware of their surroundings so they can bolt if necessary to escape. If you feel she is always on that virge then, yes, I would be concerned. It sounds like this was the first and only time you have driven that route so I would expect her to be more aware. Take her out again and if she behaves the same way and seems flighty then you need to redirect her focus. She should be focused on you, the driver. When her mind wanders off give her something to get her attention back on you. Ask her for a change in gait (preferably a downward transition as you don't want to give her any idea of "fleeing something scary" - trot to walk, walk to slow walk) or amount of collection although being green that amounts to a slower gait
default_smile.png
, a simple halfhalt, a whoa/whoa-backup, start bending exercises, etc - anything to get her focusing back on you. I work on a very slow road with little traffic and quite often ask for shallow serpentines going down the road asking for bend or, with more advanced horses, shoulders-in in both directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first question would be "do you need the blinders?" If the answer is no, and you are only using them because you will need them to show, I would take them off and leave them off until she has settled.

If for any reason you are not happy to do this I would ground drive her out over the route you intend to take in an open bridle, then do the same in the closed bridle, then drive her out again and see if she settles. It is all new to her, she is just trying to adjust to her suddenly limited world.

I do not think she is supposed to do this to show her, is she? How should I handle this?
You've received many good, detailed replies which I agree with. I will simply throw in that the simplest answer is "don't let her!"
default_biggrin.png
I understand why they're looking around and don't blame them, but I softly encourage the horse to pay attention and ask them to go back to looking straight ahead with elastic contact on the rein. Every time you feel her attention start to swing to one side, half-halt on the opposite rein to push her withers back over and swing her head back into line. She'll quickly learn to keep her mind on work as long as you reward her with proper releases and make contact enjoyable for her.

Leia

Take her for walks down the road on a halter and let her look all she wants until she's comfortable with what's there on that route.

Latest posts

Back