How Did You Name Your Farm/Breeding Program?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Amanda~

Reaction score
I was just wondering how people named their farms/breeding programs?
default_biggrin.png
A lot of the names are very cute, catchy, or just really nice and I was wondering how they were inspired.
default_wink.png

My farm name is KNOLLAC.I got my first German Shepherd dog in 1960 and starting breeding shepherds.I needed a kennel prefix for AKC.i tought about reversing my last name(at the tinme it was DUGAN)NAGUD didn't sound too catchy .I lived in an area outside of town called Chestnut Knoll Acres so In took some letters and got KNOLLAC>Every animal I have ever been responsible for bringing into this world(except my 2 sons)has KNOLLAC as the prefix in their name.I started in Minis in 1988 so there a few KNOLLAC Mini horses around.I like using a farm name for tracking purposes in pedigrees.When I see a farm name I know who was responsible for that animal and in many cases the integrity of the breeder.When I see some farm prefixes I don't put much accountability in the truth on the papers especially if the horse was born before blood typing and DNA.I love looking at pedigrees especially when they go way back.

I came up with our farm name, Whinny For Me Farm, a long time ago when all we had was one riding horse named Sky. He was my first horse. I loved how when I went out to see him and yelled his name, he would whinny back to me and come running. It just would make me feel so good and happy... I was still in that pinch myself I own a horse stage then but it felt like my heart could burst when he'd whinny to me and come running. So, the name just followed naturally and I still love to hear the horses whinny when they see us
default_wub.png

We have a 50+ year old White Paper Birch Tree on our farm. It's limbs are like a large umbrella protecting us from harm and giving us shade in the summer.

Therefore Birch Tree Farms was born!!!

Green Creek ~

I live in Green Creek township and the actual "Green Creek" runs right behind my barn / main pasture....

I also live in Green Springs Ohio, so all kinda of "Green" going on around here and it reflects both of the above...

Silver Maple Miniatures

Named after my very first 2 minis and all the maple trees from my woods

my stallion Bob which is a bay (maple leaf color)

my mare Misty which is a silver dapple

"ThistleDew Miniatures" (which may in the future be changed to add "and Shetlands" lol)...came about when I was searching the net for a farm name, so I "borrowed" it from someone else who does not have horses and is not in my state. I liked it because it is pronounced like "This'll do"....and we had ONE horse at the time...lol
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png

Ours is Baxters Painted Pasture

Its a play on words. I paint and I love pintos so thats where that came from. I used Baxters as my son is very involved with us so that way its also "his" farm

Kay

MY daughter and her husband raise Quarter horses and their farm name is Kuel Quarter Horses, so since we raise and show the Mini's with them it just seemed approiate that our farm name should be Kuel 1/4 Horses.

Danny

Our last name is English and most of my husband's family came from England. The first part of the last name is pronounced "bear" although it is spelled "bur"

We were selling antiques at the time we got married so we just started calling our antiques business "Bearcountry",

which finally ended up Bear Country Farm.

All of our registered dogs have the prefix Bear Country on the front of the name and all of the horses,we raise, have Bear Country or BFC in front of the name.

My first horse is a TB geldnig (20 this year) who is my horsey soul mate. His name is Cheyenne Autumn. CHEYenne AUTumn, so we're CheyAut Ranch
default_smile.png

Our farm name is WRS Farms. WRS is the initials of me & my husband - William & Rebecca Shepherd.

Mini h Farm--- our last name is Harrison, we are into little horses... I thought if we were to brand like in the old days it would be a little "h" so there goes Mini h

One of my favorite riding horses was named Eclipse. She has been long gone but never forgotten! I have horrible trouble with names and after going through dozens of possibilities Eclipse just popped into my head.
default_biggrin.png
Since I'm striving for excellance in my breeding program I made it Total Eclipse miniatures.
default_biggrin.png

We had Arabians when I was growing up in Indiana, but my mom and dad always talked about having miniatures. When dad retired they sold their farm, bought a small house in an addition and started spending winters in Florida. They often visited mini farms and we talked about how much fun it would have been to have some of our own. Four years ago, my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Dad sold their property in Florida, and to my surprise bought five acres back home in Indiana. Just before Christmas after they moved, he handed me a blank check and said...go buy a couple miniature mares in foal for your Christmas present. I knew nothing about the breed or breeders, but several people directed me to LKF and I bought a couple mares. Then at the Heritage Sale I bought a yearling mare to show, the one in my avatar, and started showing. Now three years later...you know how they multiply...we need a bigger barn! We mulled over numerous farm names, but I kept coming back to all the years we talked about raising minis and here we are with me almost 60 and dad almost 80, finally fulfilling our dream...That is it! Twilight Dream Miniatures. And what fun we are having. Mom sits in her chair with a mini tied to it, she especially loves the babies, while Dad and I do our thing.

Tiny Hooves Miniature Horse Ranch is what mine is called. I have had standard horse's for 46 year's. I bought my first mini in 2006 which was only 21" tall a weanling. Her hooves were so small in comparison to my 16.3 hand quarter horse. I just couldn't get over those tiny hooves so that is how I came up with mine. Since the first one I have a lot of tiny hooves running around now with my bigger horse's and they all do great together. My biggest quarter horse has become the mother to all of the little one's, at least she thinks so. It is so cute seeing her standing around with the little one's (our smallest is 25" tall & she isn't even as tall as her knee's or hock's). ADORABLE!! Anyway that is how mine came to be. Just LOVE those tiny hooves!!!!

i named our farm after our dead mini, Molly
default_sad.png

she was seen running down the road fast as a racehorse when she was hit by a car, she loved to run. therefore Mollys Run Minis was born in honor of her emense spirit and memory
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back