Houghton versus Jerald Cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Houghton is out of business, so new parts, etc are not available from the factory.

IMO Houghton had a better balance and ride than Jerald. I've turned down offers for $2,000 for my Houghton with black metal, and $3,500 for my chromed one.

I know that Double Diamond is building carts that are similar to Houghtons but I've never ridden in one. I think they are starting around $900+

I chose my Houghton over a Jerald (comparably priced at the time) when I bought my show cart in 2001. I love (LOVE) it.

Now... I don't know what I'd do since Houghton is out of business and you may need replacements for parts.

Probably, I'd look at Graber and Double Diamond's carts, as well as considering a used Houghton or Jerald.

Good luck!

Tim and I were at the Houghton auction when the closed and sold out. Jerald had already bought vast majority of everything before the auction so there was very little left of any value at the sale. We talked with the new owners and have seen them advertise "Houghton by Jerald"...carts. I havent needed anything for my carts, but am thinking we could contact Jerald for replacement parts. There are a few things that are unique to the Houghtons so a Graber or Double Diamond cart part may not fit...depending on what you need.

I sold Houghton carts until about a year before they closed. Gary from Double Diamond and I were their 2 top sales people.

It was sad to see that company go down hill due to management problems. I loved the quality and balance the Houghton carts had.

The two Jerald owners that we talked to at length said people can contact them for parts on Houghtons.

houghtonsulky.gif

Found this on Jerald Sulky's website: Jerald Sulky

What about prices on used carts??? I will be looking at a slightly used Jerald cart this weekend. (Like I need another cart, as we already have 3 of various types).

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here (Southern Oregon) $1000 would be a real deal if it is in nice shape. Used Jeralds have been selling from 1400-1800 around here, lately. These have had all the bells and whistles...Brass hubs, dashes, natural finish. Look carefully at the wheels. I have noticed many of them have rust that you can't get out and new wheels are spendy.

Diane in OR

I have seen used Houton and Jerald carts here in Nevada as low as $600 and they go up from there. However when you have the $600 carts you have to jump on them fast or they are gone.

If you can get a used Jerald, in relatively good condition for $1000, that is a GREAT deal. Depending on options, new ones are well over $2000 and the Jeralds hold their value extremely well.

I have a Houghton show cart and bought mine new back in 1998 from Dale Lutke as he too was a dealer. Mine was made for a large "B" mini with the 24" wheels and 60" shafts. My cart also fits my Shetland mares without any problems except for my wheels. I did contact Houghton was given a guy who still had several wheels when he was a dealer for them. I orderd the larger wheels 28" I believe and a set of those wheels were well over $450. I now have the set for the miniatures and the set for my sheltands. I also have an extra set of foot rest for the Roadster set-up. I'm glad that I have some extra parts just in case. I love my Houghton cart and wish that they hadn't had the bad business management that they did as I would have bought another without any hesitation.

Karen

Back