horse separation problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPR

Reaction score
I got my first mini. He's in the fenced area with a pony. They have settled the pecking order and seem very happy. I can take the pony out for walks and the mini is just fine staying home. When I take the mini out for walks, the mini is just fine going out alone, but the pony races around, jumping and bucking. It's muddy here and next month we'll have snow. The fenced area is on a slope. I'm very concerned that the pony will get hurt. I don't know if he'll try and jump the fence or not? Today when I came back with my mini from a very short walk, the pony kept running. He was all hyped up and didn't calm down for a while even though we were back. My husband stayed with the pony while I was gone (10 min), but that didn't seem to help. I've tried doing it real gradual with taking my mini just 1/2 way down the driveway and back, staying in sight. The pony is ok with that. But when I turn the corner and he can't see us is when it starts. He hollers but my mini doesn't answer him.

I just don't know what to do here? My husband is thinking we should tie the pony when I leave with the mini. Isn't that even more dangerous??

My others go into a tizzy about each time I take one out. Have yet for anyone to get hurt.

If you are concerned with the pony getting hurt, do you have a stall he can stand in until you get back?

Is there a reason when you walk the mini you need to get out of the sight of the pony?

No, I don't have a stall to put the pony in. We live in the woods. I can't go very far without being out of sight. I want to go on 30 min. walks, not just 75 ft. of driveway.

If you have no stall where will the horses go when it snows??

I do not know the immediate answer to your problem but one good answer to both (potential) problems would to build a small run in shed and put a good door on it??

You could always get a 3rd mini :bgrin

I've seen a couple horses who really will flip out if left in a paddock alone. Where I used to board one of my big horses, his paddock mate would just go crazy when I'd go out and ride. We'd come back and he'd be dripping lather from running around calling for my horse to come back!

In extreme cases, I feel like it can be a 3rd companion is really the best solution. In a mild case, you may be able to gradually work through it by taking the mini out for a time but still in sight of the pony and gradually increase the time and distance.

Think of it like seperation anxiety for a 2 year old child from mommy.........

It's a lot like what John Lyons recommends. Make it a game. Start with taking the mini out of the paddock and walk a few feet and bring him back and praise the pony. The next day, go out again and go a little farther and come back and praise and love on the pony. And keep going from there.

Eventually, you will get to where you are out of sight, but make it brief and give the pony lots of love when you get back!

MA

Thanks for the ideas. And they do have a run in shed.
default_smile.png

I don't think John Lyons method is going to work.

I've had this with big horses and doing that didn't work at all. I'd come back from a short ride to find the horse's companion all lathered up and practically dug a ditch in front of the gate from pacing . The answer was to get another horse.

I do agree that a great solution will be another horse -- and that's also a fun solution
default_wink.png
:

HOWEVER, I have seen a wide range of "separation anxiety", from the nutty big horse I used to know to really mild. There is a range and the horses who aren't basket cases about separation would learn by doing what I and others have said. John Lyons doesn't have the reputation he does for not having a lot of the right answers.

With horses, you just can't make correct blanket statements of "it won't work" because it WILL work with certain horses and probably will work with a larger number than not because most horses are not nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, today's separation went pretty well.

First, I took Rocket (pony) on a walk in the woods by the river. You can kind of see the river in the picture.

DSC02397.jpg

When I got back, I tied him to the trailer, intead of putting him back in the fenced area. Then I took out Creation (mini). I went out over and over, going a little further each time.

DSC02402.jpg

This plan worked, (having him tied). He hollered a couple times but a least he wasn't racing around in the fenced area like yesterday. All he did was holler a couple times. He didn't rear, fuss or move around a lot. So, this was real progress.

What beautiful pictures!! What state are you in?

I'm glad it's working out.
default_yes.gif
:
We're in northern Minnesota. The fall colors are at their peak right now, I think. Here's couple more pictures.

DSC02407_edited.jpg

DSC02352.jpg

Absolutely Beautiful photos! Glad things are sorting themselves out for your pony......

MA

Latest posts

Back