Horse for sale, and it's all about color,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Charlotte and CJMM6. Color IS important to many! But as stated, conformation comes first.

I breed for loud colored overos and toveros, but if they don't have the conformation to win in halter, then they are not going to win in color either. Wins in the color classes are important to me and I can tell you that they are important to my buyers!

I won't buy a horse on just color alone as I have seen some pretty badly conformed ones with undesirable traits for sale. Nor will I take one out and show it just because it has 'color'. But those with wild color patterns and halter quality conformation are just icing on the cake!

Becky, from what I've seen of your horses, color's just one of the good things they've got!

I've got a mare who's real hard to beat in color class (looks like she's out of a story book!), but she's no halter horse...

If all the horse can do is win color (and I know that's not what Becky's got), that wouldn't mean any better price to me on a foal out of or by it.

Well, it seems to me that perhaps the original post here wasn't meant to be hurtful, but could be taken that way. I don't think it's fair to assume that because someone prefers to breed for a particular color or pattern, they are sacrificing conformation. The idea, I think, is preposturous.

If that were the case, then no breeders, of minis or otherwise, would look to perfect color/pattern in his or her herd. We breed appaloosa minis almost exclusively. We previously bred both appys & pintos (mainly overo). But, gees, I LOVE color/pattern. Some folks are ultimately turned on by palomino or silvers. What's the problem? Color/pattern is the icing on the cake. Not the ENTIRE cake!

And ya know, color pedigree can play a large part here too. If you are looking to breed just blacks, you don't want to breed two sorrels to get one. It takes a little knowledge. Just a bit. You need to know SOMETHING about the parents' colors if you have a goal in mind.

No, you can't take the pedigree into the ring & hang it on the horse to impress the judge. But, as a breeder with a goal, it can help to know that pedigree & the horses in it, to accomplish your goal. And a judge isn't going to pick a horse based solely on color....even in color classes. An old-broken down u-necked cow-hocked BUNDLE OF COLOR jughead isn't going to beat a more sedately colored perfectly conformed horse. Unless the judge wants to throw his reputation down the hole.

But I don't think anyone could say they'd prefer a color/pattern, without considering whether the horse meets breed standards. Good grief...........What a discussion. Is the point to make those who LOVE one color/pattern or another & prefer to breed it, feel bad? I don't get it. Sorry, I love my apps & will never feel bad for being able to produce them again & again ---- along WITH excellent conformation. Just my 2 cents worth here. Sorry if anyone is offended.

Never in a million years did I think someone would read that as hurtful. Never

It was about a specific advertisement. NOT about someone who chooses to breed for color on top of already quality horses.

"What's the problem? Color/pattern is the icing on the cake. Not the ENTIRE cake!"

My title even says, i'ts ALL about color. They were making it the entire cake.

This was not about hurtful, it was about learning. Maybe there are those who do show JUST for color, or breed JUST for color. Never said it was wrong. If there are those out there, then someone should be doing the breeding just for those buyers.

It was for discussion, not pain, and I saw no one doing that. In no way was it against someone who enjoys patterns or colors.

Geeze, my mouth for sure is better left shut, but then I am a tad sensative these days. Lots going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankie -- I'm sorry but the post evolved into what seemed to me as one that said color/pattern doesn't matter a wit. Many who responded here said they don't care about color etc., but there are those of us who do. I felt I had to defend us.

I would absolutely feel horrible if you didn't post here. PLEASE CONTINUE. PLEASE. As I said, sorry if anyone is offended, but I felt I had to say something. So, go ahead, cook me..........
default_torch.gif
: A public forum such as this affects different people in different ways. We all bring our own cards to the table.
default_unsure.png
:

You're ok, really.

Good thoughts.

It may just be me, lots going on.

But did not mean to hurt anyone, epecially those who breed awesome color on awesome horses.

The only thing that the color class tells me is that individual feeds their horse the best and grooms exceptionally well. I don't personally enter my personal horses in color but I do show client horses in color (2 last year at Area V where "Grand Champions"). All that means is I'm doing right by the horses on my show string. Good color comes from good nutrition (genetics plays a role, but if you feed poorly, then the color will be poor).

Now, when I go to the Pinto shows, yes, I do enter color because it's based on conformation and color pattern. And, you can get a ROM in it.

Would I buy a horse solely on color? No. But if the horse is a complete package and has color to boot, then it makes the deal that much sweeter. Would I NOT buy a horse due its color? No. I just bought a silver dapple broodmare and I don't like silver dapples. She had the look and pedigree I was looking for, plus she was bred. And she's given me a black/white tobiano colt. So, she may not be my first pick for color, but her other qualities far outweight what I dislike.

One of the things I breed for is black appy color but it's not the only thing. When buying I don't take winning color classes as seriously as I would winning halter or performance classes. AMHA does have a small percentage of it's score go to conformation. I think AMHR is 100% color but I could be wrong onthat. I'll always take conformation/temperment over color.

Tammie

I'm going to disagree with just about everyone above :bgrin Come on, jump on my head :bgrin

In AMHA conformation is 20% of the horse's score and I can tell you, at the shows we do the judges lean reeeeal heavy on that 20%
default_yes.gif
: If you don't have a top halter horse out there, no matter how good the color, you aren't going to get the wins because the color classes have gotten TOUGH! There are so many really good color horses out there now (pattern & conformation, or color & coat quality + conformation) that it takes a very special individual to stand out to the judges.

I imagine we all are looking first for correct, balanced, beautiful moving horses before we look for the special color or pattern that is the icing on the cake as it were.

And yes, I would want to know about any and all wins of the parents if I were looking to buy.........that is if I like the individual enough to be interested :bgrin

ok, stomp on me :bgrin

Charlotte
I definitely agree with you Charlotte, and some others who have posted the same sentiments.
default_yes.gif
:

Everyone has their preferences regarding what "floats their boat" in Miniature Horses....but that doesn't mean they are discounting everything else altogether.

I also have no problem with anyone advertising what their horse excels in....regardless of lack of championships in other areas. NO horse is going to be perfect & excel in everything. Of course, you want to promote their best attributes. But, just because you see someone advertising a particular horse as a Champion in Color or Performance...doesn't mean they don't also do well in Halter classes. Just means they didn't rack up as many wins in those classes...or maybe they weren't shown as much in those classes. And I think that is pretty much the norm for smaller breeders, as you tend to see much more competition from big name trainers in the open Halter classes.

I think it is erroneous to think that anyone who is emphasizing color or performance, is completely disregarding comformation. Of course, you may see some sales ads from people who do this....but I believe most reputable breeders would have comformation at the top of their list, before even considering anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, not many show results alone are going to get me to turn my head to a horse.

Color is not much of the equation for me. I do love a loudly marked horse, but then again, first and foremost, I love to see a well-balanced conformation, overall correct and soundness, beauty and a good temperament along with beautiful, fluid motion. Then I consider the color.

I do think marketing is just that.

I see something "new" every day, it seems, when browsing the sales pages trying to get a feel for current prices/see what's out there.

I'm certainly not shopping right now, just trying to market my own.

Liz M.

If you want a beautiful pasture ornament then conformation is not the priority............... I've seen sellers emphasize color first & it takes an experienced eye to figure out the conformation........... Lee tells newbies to always visualize the horse as brown - if they like the conformation then the color is a bonus..... I personally love loud color but our current show miniature mare is silver bay so I have come to like that color also.

Honestly? Yes I love color and go for color.

If I look for a horse for sale I will look for color, but...

I do look at conformation and movement too, I want both.

I also have no problem breeding to "normal" solid colors, or getting such a foal, I will not sell it just if it doesn´t have the right color, if it´s gorgeous it will be a keeper anyway.

And if I am looking and come across a regular sorrel or black and I like it, I won´t hesitate if I like it. ;)

I will look at the horse first, predigree and even results aren´t that important, I have to like the horse itself not a paper with the predigree or show results on it.

And a good horse with color is just my goal.
default_yes.gif
:

To me, color is actually kind of important. It is not as important as conformation, of course, but the truth is there are lots of nice horses for sale so it's reasonable to try and find one you like in build AND in color.
default_thumbup.gif
:

Nancy

I'm going to disagree with just about everyone above :bgrin Come on, jump on my head :bgrin

In AMHA conformation is 20% of the horse's score and I can tell you, at the shows we do the judges lean reeeeal heavy on that 20%
default_yes.gif
: If you don't have a top halter horse out there, no matter how good the color, you aren't going to get the wins because the color classes have gotten TOUGH! There are so many really good color horses out there now (pattern & conformation, or color & coat quality + conformation) that it takes a very special individual to stand out to the judges.

I imagine we all are looking first for correct, balanced, beautiful moving horses before we look for the special color or pattern that is the icing on the cake as it were.

And yes, I would want to know about any and all wins of the parents if I were looking to buy.........that is if I like the individual enough to be interested :bgrin

ok, stomp on me :bgrin

Charlotte

HERE! HERE! If I had to choose between a conformationally correct solid or colored, I'd pick colored everytime!! :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back