Hoof Boots (instead of shoeing)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelley

Reaction score
Hello, Just wondering if anyone has experience with using hoof boots instead of regular horse shoes on their horses, and especially anyone that has gaited horses. We have 2 foxtrotters and shoeing is getting so expensive. Just wondering about investing in a good pair of hoof boots for the occasions that they really need shoes on and how great they are. What are the pros and cons? We generally just pasture ride, but once in awhile go camping and ride in very rocky, hilly areas, so wondering how they would perform in comparison and are they really cost effective. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
default_smile.png

Hello, Just wondering if anyone has experience with using hoof boots instead of regular horse shoes on their horses, and especially anyone that has gaited horses. We have 2 foxtrotters and shoeing is getting so expensive. Just wondering about investing in a good pair of hoof boots for the occasions that they really need shoes on and how great they are. What are the pros and cons? We generally just pasture ride, but once in awhile go camping and ride in very rocky, hilly areas, so wondering how they would perform in comparison and are they really cost effective. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
default_smile.png
I use Cavallo Sport Boots on my husband's mule. They go on and off easily and stay put nicely when riding. I am a farrier and feel these are a great alternative to a nail on shoe.

I have had good luck using hoof boots. I had a full set of 4 of the 'original' Easyboots for my Paint mare, a few years back. I didn't have to use them much, but on a 3 day, mountain-terrain trail ride, I used one when a shoe was lost,and even when we watered in a creek w/ steep, MUCKY, sides/bottom, the boot stayed put and worked perfectly. Another time, two friends and I took an early spring ride up Tome Hill, a steep, rocky hill south of Albuquerque. My mare was barefooted through the winter, so I used all four of the boots, and again, even in the rocky and very uneven trail, they stayed put and worked well.

I'd suggest one of the boots w/ a 'grip' underside for a gaited horse, at least behind. My Foxtrotter stepped so far up under himself that he needed heel calks behind when shod; I'd think the additional grip might be needed on a similarly-gaited horse using hoof boots.

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of Renegades for my Quarter horse. I just use them on his fronts because his back feet are good to go. They are easy to put on, they stay on and I can do all of the things I would do if he were shod. I do recommend getting someone to help you fit them though. The wrong size and all bets are off. I think I paid $150 for them a couple years ago and they are still in great shape. I trail ride all the time so I have put them to the test. Dont know where you're located but if you get snow you would also have to get a pair with studs for winter or go barefoot. Hope that helps.

I have not used any boots, YET, but when I asked my farrier about it, he recommended the Cavallos too. Apparently he believes strongly in them, as he sells them too!

I use Easy Boot Gloves on my Icelandic's. Works really well and easy for me to put on, great grip and they stay on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too! I have two sets for my Quarter Horse: The Old Mac 2's and the Boa's from www.easycareinc.com

They are a booger to put on at first and then it gets easy and they have lasted me for years.

Thanks everyone. I only know one person who has actually ever used them, so just wanted a little more feedback before I invest. We live in a small town area so I know I will have to order them online. Someone mentioned getting help so that I get the proper fit...any suggestions on how to make sure I get the correct fit/size for our horses? I am excited to give them a try. The lady that I know here that has tried them said the ones she has rubbed a sore spot on the back of her horse's leg above the hoof, so maybe hers just do not fit correctly, but she did say that they stay put and she has used them on some really rocky, steep terrain. Hopefully I can find the right ones so we don't wear any raw spots while riding-I would feel terrible if that was the case. Thanks again!

With Easyboots, they have a, "Fit Kit" to help make sure the boots fit.

Thanks everyone. I only know one person who has actually ever used them, so just wanted a little more feedback before I invest. We live in a small town area so I know I will have to order them online. Someone mentioned getting help so that I get the proper fit...any suggestions on how to make sure I get the correct fit/size for our horses? I am excited to give them a try. The lady that I know here that has tried them said the ones she has rubbed a sore spot on the back of her horse's leg above the hoof, so maybe hers just do not fit correctly, but she did say that they stay put and she has used them on some really rocky, steep terrain. Hopefully I can find the right ones so we don't wear any raw spots while riding-I would feel terrible if that was the case. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back