Hi new here, and questions :~)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
Sorry to jump right into the forum with questions, but it was in search of answers for my questions that led me here. You all seem like a great group to hang out with, and I am sure that I will probably flood you all with questions as I have never owened a mini before now.

My name is Karen, and I live in NE Arkansas. I have had a variety of horses and my favorite was a blue papered TWH/ Fox Trotter, Casey, I had for many years and miss dearly. I saved an Appy pony from the meat market once who was missing an eye, and to everyones surprise, she was also pregnant. They said she would be no good, but she was the best pony for a child anyone could have, and I was proud to have her for my oldest daughter, Michele, who is now grown. Several years later, I found myself living in town and I haven't had a horse in 7 years and miss the country and my horses. We plan on moving, maybe next summer, YAY! A new friend of ours bought several mini ponys in a package deal when the old woman died and her children really didn't want them. My husband and I purchased a 2 yr. old chocolate brown paint filly from the small herd. She has such a sweet disposition, and it is hard keeping her a secret from our 6 yr. old daughter, Shawntay,until Christmas when she will become hers and her 2 1/2 yr. old brother, Logun's gift! She is staying at the peoples house we bought her from until we can make other arrangements in the spring or summer. Her "name" is Princess, but I want to change it to something a little more unique since she doesn't know her name anyways. I am considering the name Half Pint at this time. Our daughter, Shawntay, already has a cat she named Princess as well, so another reason for changing it.

My questions are, do you shoe mini's like you would full size horses? I don't have a clue, and the people we bought her from doesn't know anything about horses what so ever, but they were told that they have tough hooves and you never shoe them for any reason.

Also, these minis are suppose to be registered, but it is possible we may not be able to get the papers. Since our friend didn't receive papers for any of them, the old ladies kids may not know where they are. We may not even be able to get sire and dames names to have a search done. Is there any alternitives as to how we may be able to come up with the papers if there were some?

I had another question, but I forgot what it was at this time.

I really look forward to getting to know all of you! You also have some beautiful horses!

~Karen

If she owns them and had the registered papers in her name, she can send away for a dupilcate for about $20.00? Someone else might be able to give more info.

Welcome you came to the right place to have all your questions answered. :aktion033: :aktion033:

Yeah, wish it would be that easy, but the original lady died, and there was no husband to know what she had. Apparently, by my understanding, the kids didn't want to mess with the horses, and we are hoping that they can find papers, but in case they can't find papers, I am hoping that there may be something we can do.

~Karen

Hi and welcome to the message board and to minis!!!

You'll find a lot of us started with full size horses and then got into minis as well. When I got my first mini, I knew I'd love him but figured I couldn't ever enjoy a mini as much as one of my big horses... Now I have about 16 minis and the same two big horses who are rarely ridden these days!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Minis do not wear shoes. There is something called "magic shoes" for minis with deformed feet, but a "regular" mini goes barefoot. You may want to use boots or shoes you put on and off the horses if you are going to drive on gravel of pavement, but these are thing you put on them and take off them, not a traditional horse shoe.

As to the papers, the person who is currently listed on the AMHR or AMHA books may request a duplicate certificate which you can then transfer into your name w/ a signature on the certificate or on a transfer form. If at all possible, I would encourage you to persue the paperwork on the horses!

PS as an alternative to the above, if the horses are under 34"and 5yo or older, you may hardship them into AMHA but that is fairly expensive. There are some registries appart from AMHR or AMHA (like WCMHR), but a lot of people, including myself, feel only AMHR and AMHA papers are really valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem from what I am gathering is the last person listed on the paperwork is the old lady that owned the horses, who has now died so getting her signature is not an option. The kids don't know anything about the papers and apparently have said they will look for them but do not seem to be going out of their way to do so. Maybe if they are DNA'd? Is there something that can be done if they were? I have no idea, I am hoping the kids can find something. If not the actual paperwork then maybe some pedigree info or something to go off of. Let us know what happens.

Welcome! I also started with big horses, and seldom find the time to ride anymore. We raise PINTO minis, and I think you may be in luck because you said this was a "paint mini". You should be able to get her registered with the Pinto Association, which is the same registry that registers all the other types and sizes of Pintos. They hold shows all over North America, which are tons of fun and also offer National points. It is a well-respected registry and should add to the value of your mini. Check it out at www.pinto.org . The mini classes they offer include halter, color, jumper in hand, hunter in hand, driving, trail in hand, and then they have a leadline class open to all.

Good luck!

Karen, i am new to the forum also although i have looked on the sale board for years... my daughter has loved the forum and talked me into checking it out. so welcome from another newbie!

we also started with big horses and while we still have them and still ride them, i know that someday when i am older and unable to ride, i will always have minis. from the horses we have also gotten involved with mini donkeys and mules - so we are a well-rounded crew LOL. 4 of my minis are pinto and related, 2 bay and 2 sorrel, the older bay and older sorrel are full sisters, and the other two are the daughters of the older sorrel. and my daughter has a grulla pinto stallion.

as previously said minis do not need "real" horseshoes; however they DO need regular trimmings, so you will need to find a farrier.

Goodness, I am afraid you are in for some hard work...been there...done that!!
default_yes.gif
:

I am sure that if the papers are there...they will find them when everything is cleaned up and straightened out. I imagine, if the owner's death was recent, the family might have a load on their minds, what with all that has to be done. If there is any way that you could at least find out the registered names...it would help a lot. How old are these horses? Is it possible to find the breeder, who might have a copy of the original papers, even now? (I do...I have copies of just about every horse I have owned, and surely I cannot be the only one.) If the owner was also the breeder...this is going to be harder, for sure.

So, say you do get the names, you will then have to get a copy of the death certificate, and the will. This will prove the death of the owner, and that the horses were sold legally by the benificiaries of the will. You will have to pay for the duplicates, transfers to their names, as well as into yours. It is possible that AMHA/AMHR, will cut you some slack, and allow only the one transfer...hard to say. (I had to pay for both.)

Here's hoping that the papers are found...
default_yes.gif
: Good luck!

What are all the names of the past owners of these horses? (if you know them) For instance, someone here might have sold these horses to the lady who died.

Any additional clues would possibly help us connect the dots.

The lady who died was the 1st owner, her grown children who live here locally inherited them(not really wanting them), and they kept them for about 1 year. They gave only the basic care. Then a horse trader bought them (he is a nice old man by what I hear), he worked with the horses (the oldest one is only 7, a gelded cart mini we may be purchasing this summer??) This man, in turn, sold the whole herd of 5 mini's to the people we know and bought our little 2 yr. old from. I don't know the other peoples names, but they have always stayed in the local area by my understanding, and have never been "playing the circuit" so to speak. So, it may not be too hard to track the people, just the papers. I don't think the inherited family has much clue about anything that has to do with the horses.

I Sooo wish I knew our 2 yr. olds history. Hopefully, in time, I will! Who knows, maybe we have a diamond in the rough, and don't know it?! :~) The people we bought her from is suppose to be trying to trace some steps back to see what we can come up with. He is really hoping that we can find this information as well, since he has some of the horses himself. It is nice to know that I may be able to register her in the pinto registry if we can't come up with anything else.

If I could at least get the Sire and Dame's names that could give me a great lead, then the registry could do a search for me!

~Karen

Could you try calling the AMHR/AMHA offices to see how they can help. Two Key points that stick out to me are 1) What is the lady's name? That would be a HUGE step in the right direction! And 2) Can you post pictures of both sides of your filly? Not only will we tell you how beautiful she is and it could help with her papers BUT someone may know her!

One last thing... Welcome from Ontario :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great points, thanks. :~) I will see what I can do about the ladies name!

It may take a little work and some time for pictures though. My digi camera blitzed out on me and it will be a little while before I can get another one. In the mean time, I have my daughters cheap camera I purchased for her to learn how to take pictures. Also, our little filly is hard to see under the dirt (she LOVES to roll in it!) and the winter wool, you'd probably laugh for now. I can't wait to see her with her summer coat. This little girl is out on pasture at our friends, and trying to keep it a secret from our daughter until Christmas is quite tricky, lol. But I will try to get some pictures up of her as soon as I can. Who knows?? Maybe someone would recognize her?!

Thanks everyone for so much support and help in this. It is completely appreciated!

You all have such beautiful horses, they all make my heart melt!

~Karen

Latest posts

Back