Helping your horses shed out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
I have heard of using table salt or nu image,in addition to deworming to help get rid of that wooly coat.i have a few that I cannot clip,due to my pregnancy and them totally freaking,which leaves me with some fuzzy lil boogers...i have brushed and curried and farnam bricked to my hearts content...does anyone have any tips or tricks on how I can help them along? its getting pretty warm here,and hair is flying.Thanks
default_smile.png

I have been told over the last week that a tablespoon of ground flax seed ever day will help them shed naturally and make their fur shiney-also bringing out any gold tones in it! :)

I have heard of liberally coating them with baby oil, letting them sit a few hours to overnight, then bathing them. Supposed to leave them slick as an eel, but I never had the guts to try it. If I had access to unlimited running hot water, I would try it once for an experiment.

What I do know works is lots of exercise and turnout time. Sweating helps the hair come out and then the horses natural desire to roll and scratch takes a good chunk. Walking through tall grass helps pull out leg hairs as well.

I'll tell you what I've been having luck in helping them shed and keeping their coat real nice is a fly sheet I've bought from Ozark by Kensington. I bathed them first, and let them dry and for some reason it has really calmed down their hair shedding and I'm liking how their coats are looking. And the fly sheets are very breathable, well made, and also helps in sun protection which is why I originally bought it.

http://minitack.com/kmfnp.htm

I use flax seed. Start in February, mine are all slicking out nicely by themselves.

Have no clues except for letting Nature run it's course- it's the season! Most of my horses have white so it looks like almost blizzard conditions here right now, LOL (so wearing black would not work for me!) Yep, working them and them sweating also really encourages the hair fall out.

I have heard of liberally coating them with baby oil, letting them sit a few hours to overnight, then bathing them. Supposed to leave them slick as an eel, but I never had the guts to try it. If I had access to unlimited running hot water, I would try it once for an experiment.

What I do know works is lots of exercise and turnout time. Sweating helps the hair come out and then the horses natural desire to roll and scratch takes a good chunk. Walking through tall grass helps pull out leg hairs as well.

Personally, I would not do baby oil but I might try olive oil. I put olive oil in manes and tails (and my own hair) leave it sit for at least a half hour then wash it out. It will rinse out alot easier than baby oil. Plus it's not a petroleum based product which is better. It makes the hair very soft and shiny and if you have any kinky tails it will help straighten and detangle them too. I never get my own hair as straight as I can after using olive oil!! I also put an olive oil and tea tree with a tiny amount of peppermint oil mixture on feet too. I also know of people who oil their tack with olive oil but I haven't been brave enough to try that one yet. But Olive oil is my friend :D

Thanks!! Im a lil leery about the baby oil..id never get it out..lol..has anyone heaed of extra salt and minerals?

I have not heard of extra salt and/or minerals but would be concerned about creating an unhealthy imbalance. Just keep brushing, LOL

I feed my horses Omega Horseshine. I start them on it around Feb until mid winter. I still clip, but it really helps them shed out nice, with nice glossy undercoats. It contains ground flaxseed and other ingrediants like biotin, vitamin b12, riboflavin etc. I swear by this stuff.

Latest posts

Back