grey color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
I have a grey horse and this past winter he was pretty dark and has gradually turned almost white. Now that he's shedding i'm noticing dark hairs coming through. I thought that once a grey horse turns white that they stay white, is this true? What's going on with his color?

Leslie

Any chance he may also carry roan besides the grey? If so, that would explain the lighter/darker colors during different seasons.

A lot of horses have a lighter winter coat and then are darker when they shed off. Maybe that is the situation?

Are you sure it's "grey" and not silver? Our silver dapple (avatar) especially when he was younger was nearly white in winter and would get darker as the summer months went. He still darkens more in the summer time.

I've posted his pic on here before asking his color and it was determined that he's grey. This spring is the lightest he's ever been. His dam is a cremello and his sire is grey.

Leslie

Well since his dam is cremello he has the cream gene. Cream horses get darker before they get lighter.

That said we have two grays here(both are relation to your colt). The one is 17 so she is already gray. The other is seven and still graying. She is mostly white, however she still has her black gaurd hairs when she isnt clipped but shed out. If you clip her she is pretty much white, and stays white until her winter coat comes in.

Just when I think I know his color, he goes and changes, lol. I suppose then that this color change could take a while, he's only 2.

Leslie

Here is a palomino-grey yearling filly that I own... see how she's changed and actually darkened on her legs:

Fantasy Corrals Secret Treasure
Treasure%202.jpg

Treasure%20--%2010132006%20--%20085-i.jpg

TREASURE%20Horses%20--%2005202007%20--%20008.jpg

Hello,

Here is my filly who was born bay, but is greying out.You can see she is alot of different colors before and after.she is a yearling.

first photo is now.This photo is after her hair grew back recently.
100_4058-2.jpg

second photo after shaved and third photo before shaved.

100_2105.jpg

100_0383.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Leslie,

I too own a grey horse. He is pure white in the winter but when he sheds off, he is a flea-bitten grey. A flea bitten grey will have his base color hairs show through his white and when shed out instead of being clipped, the darker color will show up more because you are looking at the complete hair instead of the very end of that hair when the hair is clipped off. You can see my grey horse on my web site www.wickersham-miniatures.com on the stallion page. His name is Knell's Custom Made. When I first bought Custom Made he was registered as a roan. But over the years that I have had him, he has gotten whiter and whiter. He actually has a white blaze on his face that you can no longer see at all. I do not think that Custom will ever go completely white in the summer. He will always be "flea-bitten grey".
default_smile.png

Cindy Wickersham

Here's a pic of him taken yesterday, don't mind the mess that he is, it was just a quick little photo shoot. The lighting isn't very good either.

DSCN0719_edited-1.jpg

Leslie

I forgot to say that the darker places on his neck is where i'm seeing the black hairs.

He looks like a typical horse who is graying out to me. Grays can go thru a lot of different "shading" ...sometimes resulting in dark "splotches" while changing colors. Yours is very young yet and will probably go thru a lot more stages before going completely white.
default_yes.gif
:

Good morning all you mini people, I'm so impressed and ecstatic about the wealth of experienced, knowlegdeable mini people here, thank you for sharing your valuable resource.

I have a color question. I have a Hemlock Brooks Egyptian King great grandson, grandsire is Topsider, he is registered silver dapple. I've shaved him several times and there isn't a dapple on him. If you went to the Greencastle auction there were 4 King sons there to be sold. One of the stallions the smallest one was about 28-29", can't remember which lot#but he was the exact same color as mine. He was listed as gray. My horse is a solid color, no dorsal strip, no spots, light to medium mane, not flaxen at all as he is registered but more golden with darker blackish hair on the underside. His tail is the same color. When I shaved him he was covered with little black spots and is a brownish gray, it almost looks grulla, but I can't see the primative markings. there are several grulla in his pedigree as well as cremello, gray and primarily light coat colors. He also has blue eyes. All my questions are to try to find out what color his 1st foal is, my 1st baby! My sweet baby boy also has the blue eyes, his dam is solid brown with brown eyes. He has the lighter colored legs, like a taupe color with a dark under color and a mousy brown coat color, very gray at birth, dark almost black mane and tail with a dorsal strip that went from his mane to the tip of his tail, black points and it seems that on the skin inbetween his hind legs I can see some strips. I shaved him, but I didn't shave his legs and now I can't see the dorsal strip, but I didn't shave his body real close. He now looks more brown. I need to try to figure his color out so I can get him registered in a month. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions, should I shave him closer? It's been real chilly at night so that is why I left some coat on him. Help
default_unsure.png
: I would leave it to the AMHA but I recently sent in a bunch of pics asking AMHR to choose the color on a mare I was registering for the 1st time, she was listed as being a black pinto by the breeder, it looked like she was roaning out to me so I asked R to make the choice and they stayed with black. Well now I have to do and pay for a color change cause shes blue roan after shaving her.

Sorry this is lengthy but I've been trying to figure this one out and it's driving me nutty.

M

Good morning all you mini people, I'm so impressed and ecstatic about the wealth of experienced, knowlegdeable mini people here, thank you for sharing your valuable resource.I have a color question. I have a Hemlock Brooks Egyptian King great grandson, grandsire is Topsider, he is registered silver dapple. I've shaved him several times and there isn't a dapple on him. If you went to the Greencastle auction there were 4 King sons there to be sold. One of the stallions the smallest one was about 28-29", can't remember which lot#but he was the exact same color as mine. He was listed as gray. My horse is a solid color, no dorsal strip, no spots, light to medium mane, not flaxen at all as he is registered but more golden with darker blackish hair on the underside. His tail is the same color. When I shaved him he was covered with little black spots and is a brownish gray, it almost looks grulla, but I can't see the primative markings. there are several grulla in his pedigree as well as cremello, gray and primarily light coat colors. He also has blue eyes. All my questions are to try to find out what color his 1st foal is, my 1st baby! My sweet baby boy also has the blue eyes, his dam is solid brown with brown eyes. He has the lighter colored legs, like a taupe color with a dark under color and a mousy brown coat color, very gray at birth, dark almost black mane and tail with a dorsal strip that went from his mane to the tip of his tail, black points and it seems that on the skin inbetween his hind legs I can see some strips. I shaved him, but I didn't shave his legs and now I can't see the dorsal strip, but I didn't shave his body real close. He now looks more brown. I need to try to figure his color out so I can get him registered in a month. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions, should I shave him closer? It's been real chilly at night so that is why I left some coat on him. Help
default_unsure.png
: I would leave it to the AMHA but I recently sent in a bunch of pics asking AMHR to choose the color on a mare I was registering for the 1st time, she was listed as being a black pinto by the breeder, it looked like she was roaning out to me so I asked R to make the choice and they stayed with black. Well now I have to do and pay for a color change cause shes blue roan after shaving her.

Sorry this is lengthy but I've been trying to figure this one out and it's driving me nutty.

M

Can you show us any pictures?

Cindy Wickersham

I have a grey horse and this past winter he was pretty dark and has gradually turned almost white. Now that he's shedding i'm noticing dark hairs coming through. I thought that once a grey horse turns white that they stay white, is this true? What's going on with his color?

Leslie

Your baby looks a lot like my grey stallion, K-nell's Custom Made. I will try to send you some pictures as soon as I can. I have a full day today so it will have to be later!

Thanks,

Cindy Wickersham

M,

The horse I pictured above is a great great grandson of Hemlock Brooks Egyptian King.

Post pics please.

Leslie

I have a grey-grullo great-grandson of Egyptian King, who is also a grandson of both Ima Boones Little Buckeroo Too ("BTU") on the top and Yellow Diamond Little Feather on the bottom. He is now 2yo and is AMHR National Top 10 (halter) and AMHA Honor Roll (halter). I love him but man, he can be a stinker!

Erica's Gone and DunIT
after a show last summer:

2006%20VMHC%20Summer%20Show%20--%20DunIT%20--%20106.jpg

last weekend (he needs to gain weight -- not interested enough in FOOD and too interested in MARES):

DUNIT%20Horses%20--%2005202007%20--%20054.jpg

Yes yes yes that's it, just alittle darker, boy that King line is a strong producer of this color. Do you see the dark spots on him, when you shave him, they seem to fade after he grows out a bit? Will post some pics ASAP. Got to figure the posting thing out. Your great what a help. Your boy looks awesome, very fit not skinny at all. So he is registered grey grullo or just grullo. Does he have the primative markings? Do you know if AMHA requires the markings for this color classification? Very similar pedigree but unfortunately without the BTU. My foal from this stallion has Rowdy(dam) and King (sire). Should I do a AMHA color change from silver dapple to grullo if this is the case? Love it, love it. Your boys mane and tail are exactly the same as my boys and his foal. My boy is a good fellow very laid back. Likes people and very good to work with. Thanks again Jill and congrats on the National Top 10 Halter and the Honor Roll Halter. I have to find someone local that can show a couple of my horses, I have major knee problems. I would love to do that, no any one? Just checked out your web site, awesome! Lovely horses!

Mary :aktion033: Yippe!

Latest posts

Back