Good Books About Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Amanda~

Reaction score
I am looking to expand my "Horsey Library" to learn more about miniatures.

Can anyone recommend good books about Miniatures? Any topic is welcome: color genetics (love them), breeding, feeding, training, driving, showing, etc. I love nothing so much as a good book and if its about horses, all the better!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I got these ones and I think they are good:

Carriage Driving: A Logical Approach Through Dressage Training

Miniature Horses: A Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders

I bought myself a couple more recently but haven't read them yet.

When I saw this, "Good Books For Miniatures" it got me thinking. None of my horses read very often.
default_wink.png

Seriously I am interested to see what books people suggest as well.

When I saw this, "Good Books For Miniatures" it got me thinking. None of my horses read very often.
default_wink.png

Seriously I am interested to see what books people suggest as well.

default_laugh.png
I re-worded the title a little so it was more clear. I suppose you could always read to your Minis though.
default_wink.png

default_laugh.png
I re-worded the title a little so it was more clear. I suppose you could always read to your Minis though.
default_wink.png

Hopefully my horses will like Twilight.
default_smile.png
We do play the CD in the barn pretty often, well in the barn, the car, the house, other people cars. You get the point.
default_new_rofl.gif

I am going to order that performance book that someone suggested on another post.

I have a huge collection of books; here are some of my favorites:

Minis: Training Miniature Performance Horses by Jennifer Alisia Garret (Small Horse Press) also other books by her in the same series.

Miniature Horse Conformation by Kay Baxter (kaykay on the forum)

My favorite horse conformation book, horses in general: Horse Gaits, Balance and Movement by Susan E Harris (Amazon) This one explains (with diagrams) all about conformation and WHY it is important. There are tons of diagrams showing horse movement including dressage movements like shoulder in.

I can't resist unabashed self promotion by suggesting The Book of Miniature Horses, especially since members of Lil Begnnings were such a huge help with interviews and pictures of their horses when I was writing it.
default_wub.png

I can't resist unabashed self promotion by suggesting The Book of Miniature Horses, especially since members of Lil Begnnings were such a huge help with interviews and pictures of their horses when I was writing it.
default_wub.png

I have that book.
default_smile.png
I think you did a great job on it!

In my opinion there is none that can compare with Barbara Naviaux's Miniature Horses: Care, Feeding, & Coat Colors. I recommend it to all our customers.

Thanks so much for suggesting mine
default_smile.png
Just a note that all proceeds from the book go to CMHR.

All the other books are great too!! Jennifers, Barb Navioux awesome books!

Kay

Not Miniature books, but they are great for training/behaviour references all of Mark Rashids books, I just love his approach to training.

I also use Horse Owner's Veterinary Handbook a lot for reference, and The Complete Foaling Manual by Theresa Jones is my fav reference for foaling.

Also second the Miniature related books mentioned here, the one by Barbara Naviaux, The Book Of Miniature Horses (includes a photo of my boy Chips), and Miniature Horses a Vet Guide.

I know there are more, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head!

I strongly agree with Tony. That is the best book! I have little post-its stuck all through it and I review it every year in about Feb.

I have two other books that are not especially for miniatures, but I found them to be really helpful. The first one is "Blessed Are The Broodmares", and the second one is "Horse Color Explained". If I was at home I would add the authors. Both of these are VERY helpful.

I would suggest that you check out the Small Horse Press website. They have wonderful books and DVD on miniatures. I personally love the books that Pat Elder has written as most of them are good reference books.

Outstanding Miniature Horse Stallions, Past & Present Vol I

Outstanding Miniature Horse Mares, Past & Present

Success wiht Miniature Horses: The Experts Speak Out

Outstanding American Shetland Ponies: 1888-2008

Liberty in Miniatures (learn to show in Liberty)

She also has a good DVD set as well. Would also recommend Patty Clokes driving DVD set.

Everyone here has given good advise and most of these book are excellent reference books. I do have a lot of them and need to add some more.

My one MUST have reference is the Complete Foaling Manual by Thresa Jones. I read it each and every spring to refresh this old mind of mine.

I can't wait to get my copy of Pat's Liberty book. Must also brag that in her DVD--one of her "STARS" is my little stallion that I just recently sold--Onyx.

Must say that if you own miniatures you can't own too many reference books--they are invaluable and I appreciate all the authors for all their hard work and dedication.

Latest posts

Back