Garden Hoses -- have you read the fine print on yours?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerocket

Reaction score
I feel really really dumb here -- It NEVER occured to me to check the fine print on a GARDEN HOSE --

I have seen bold warnings on some "not for drinking water" -- but for the hoses that did NOT state that -- I never read the tiny print!

I have been using these hoses for 2 years to fill up water tanks and buckets. I had to replace one -- and after I got the new hose home, I happened to actually read the label ---

WARNING: This product contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm - WASH HANDS AFTER HANDLING"
This is a HEAVY DUTY Garden hose - a -Once-In-A Lifetime hose -- not true if you leave it outside all the time - where it is exposed to heat, cold (freezing) and sunshine.

Anyone ever read the print on the label for your hoses? I have not before.

Wonder if this is making my horses sick?? :no: and of course I don't wash my hands after using it!

Anyone seen something similar - or even care?

JJay

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel really really dumb here -- It NEVER occured to me to check the fine print on a GARDEN HOSE --
I have seen bold warnings on some "not for drinking water" -- but for the hoses that did NOT state that -- I never read the tiny print!

Wonder if this is making my horses sick?? :no: and of course I don't wash my hands after using it!

Anyone seen something similar - or even care?

JJay
:no: And growing up we used to play in the sprinkler's(didn't wash up after), house's were painted with "lead" based paint's, used to go out in the morning to play all day (didn't have to worry about be obducted). I think some of this is getting a little carried away
default_yes.gif
: That's my opinion.

Hummmmmmmmm.........maybe I need to rethink this a little :eek: It should be abducted
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep,it is a wonder that we don't glow like a neon sign or are dead!
default_wacko.png
: Guess we will just have to mutate to survive all the warnings.
default_wink.png
: But thanks for the message. Mary

[SIZE=24pt]LEAD IN GARDEN HOSE? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Reported and Web Produced by: John Matarese [/SIZE]

Updated: 06/23/05 13:47:22

It's summer....when we stock up on lawn and garden products.

But it seems more and more of those products are suddenly coming with a frightening warning label.

When Jerry Fehner needed a new garden hose fitting, he headed to the hardware store, and bought this brass connector.

But when he looked on the back... He was stunned by what he read!

"The label on the back says this product contains lead!""

It says the item contains lead, a chemical known in California to cause cancer and birth defects.

Jerry says he'd never use it on a hose.

"Who's to say your grandkids might not come over to take a drink....or even yourself, if I'm thirsty while working in the yard?"

Jerry wonders why he's starting to see these labels more and more.

"They took the lead out of paint and gasoline, and I thought the government was on the lookout for lead."

I've reported before about this warning: It's part of a California law called Proposition 65, requiring anything sold in the state containing the tiniest amount of lead to carry a warning.

Brass can contain up to 7 percent lead.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission however, says it's not a hazard in normal use....and says you should not be afraid of products with this warning.

You'll find similar warnings on other plumbing supplies, electronic equipment, even Christmas lights!

It doesn't necessary mean it's dangerous... But like Jerry, you may not want to drink out of it.

If you plan to use it for eating or drinking...Then dont waste your money.

I'm John Matarese.

They do have hoses that say "drinking water safe" or something like that. I have them but they don't seem to hold up as well.

They way I look at it is if I run the water a bit before I use it for anything thats going to drink the water how much lead can the hose add to that? Now I don't think I would drink any water that has been sitting in the hose for any time.

Don't know if what I do is right or wrong.

[SIZE=14pt]All the new warning labels would drive a crazy man nuts!
default_yes.gif
: Did you know that the water in 90% of the homes built after 1975 that have copper are soldered together with LEAD BASE SOLDER! So, the tiny bit you would get from a garden hose is nothing compared to what you get out of your drinking water!
default_wink.png
: [/SIZE]

Bill

To top that off --- I read the OTHER SIDE of the label and it warned me about the stuff that is probably growing INSIDE the hose -- Bacteria -- since its a "warm Moist" location.

I keep reminding myself that horses (and cows etc..) survive out there in the wild - and in pastures - drinking out of ponds and creeks that they "potty" in while drinking.

default_poke.gif
:

JJay

I'm another that will drink out of the hose, warning labels or not. However, I won't drink the water until the hose has run for awhile--first off it tastes yucky and secondly, if it's been sitting there awhile I figure it's more likely to have picked up any lead or other nasty stuff that might be falling out of the hose. Once the water is running cold & fresh, how much lead is it likely to pick up on its quick trip through the hose? How much lead is there actually in that hose anyway?

Likewise, I let the water run awhile before I fill the horses' water tubs too. If I don't want to drink warm, yucky tasting water I figure they don't either, in spite of the fact that they will happily ignore their water tub full of fresh, clean water to go and drink the yucky brown water in a disgusting little puddle in the corner of the corral. Ick.

I have the same warning here on a new can of paint:

WARNING: This product contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm - WASH HANDS AFTER HANDLING"

Latest posts

Back