Frankenstorm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all in the storm's path, please check in, whether you regularly post or just lurk.

We have no TV, but the image painted by radio news is riveting -- including reports of the water 12 ft + on Wall Street in NYC and water filling subway tunnels. These, of course, are merely things, and I want to hear how PEOPLE are doing.

Horses and family here in Southern Maryland are safe. We didn't have any trees down or power loss at my home. A lot of debris and flooding in areas around me. Sustained winds 50-60 mph and gusts to 75. Thankfully it was nothing compared to Irene last year.

Hope everyone is doing well and please check in.

We are okay here too, the wind wasn't as bad as predicted. One of the horse huts turned around and blew a few feet in the paddock, and a few minor fences got bowed down a little. No trees down on our farm. Keeping the horses in the barn today, only because it's so muddy, temps have dropped and still steady light rain. Don't want them getting wet and chilled. We still have power.

Lots of down trees on some side roads, we just have a few branches down. Much less rain than I expected, Irene did much more damage as far as trees, limbs and runoff go. Hopefully the snow stays away.

Sorry, I couldn't check in sooner, my phone service was down, but we never did lose electric, it just flickered some, I'm amazed! We had some branches come down on fences, and they are down, one post broke off, I'm glad the horses were in. I did need to put one of my two year olds in the indoor last evening, as she got wet and was shivering, but all are well today, and staying in because of the rain and mud. We humans are fine too, and they did open the bay bridge back up earlier so I hope all on eastern shore are fine.

glad to hear that all is well with boss mare and river rose.Amy Reed&Nina O'Bryan are all ok-just a few downed branches and some water in some stalls.Anybody heard anything from Harold,Connie and John Excbold in NJ?They are near Atlantic City,NJ which was hit hard and I think Harold works in the city.

I am just feeling so very, very badly for the people who have been hit by the very heart of this darned storm. We all discuss being "prepared" for bad weather/extremes/hard times and while most people could be "OK" for a few days -- some of us for a long period of time with self-sufficiency, power on, etc.

The ones in NY, NJ, etc.....even those in the dumped on blizzards and lost power, etc.....they just have almost NO way to recover for a good long time. If you had to look out at contaminated water that was not receding, no transportation (or any where to go!) lack of most communication, and extremely limited access to any where to GET anything -- wow, how depressing is that? Some things we just can't control OR plan for. Some would have been better off to evacuate, of course. But now many are very much in a place none of us want to be and can barely imagine.

When Hurricane Andrew hit and destroyed Homestead, FL, my husb and I had just left that AM -- not realizing there was a storm at hand (grandkids being entertained and we ignored the news!) That night, it hit. The flooding was not like you see in the coastal areas of this one, Sandy, but the devastation was just as complete. We went ther 1 wk later to rebuild some apartment complexes we had there (stayed 12 wks). WOW. No grocery stores, almost no roads you could drive down, no stores to buy any clothes or anything, Red Cross food tents for all -- often only way to eat as the "tent cities" had no cooking. (we had a motor home driven from here in VA) Clean up is unreal, emotions are understandably high and well, it seems never ending. We know it can be a challenge.........and may be a reason that I try to be as "ready" as I can for unexpected disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back