Fox News

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra dittus

Reaction score
This is the E-mail that I sent to Fox News this morning.

Fox News seems to take great pride in being "FAIR AND BALANCED" but they

blew that image Sunday and again today. I feel that anyone watching these

two segments were left with the impression that dwarfism is "VERY COMMON" in

the Miniature Horse industry. The owner claims that he is raising money for

children's charities and if that is true I give him credit for that, but his

failure to point out the fact that this is not an everyday occurrence in the

Miniature Horse industry is an abomination, in my opinion. He did mention

that he bred two normal Miniatures and this is what he ended up with, but he

failed to explain that this is not an every day thing.

I hope that Miniature Horse breeders will e-mail Fox News and let them know

that while this does happen occasionally dwarfism is not the norm in

Miniatures. Also that most caring Miniature Horse breeders that do

OCCASIONALLY have a dwarf born on their farm take care of them with lots of

love and medical attention, and NOT exploiting them.

I hope that Fox News will tell the "REST OF THE STORY" and let their

viewers know the whole truth about the Miniature Horse.

Sandra Dituus

I missed the newscast on the mini; is there an article online to see?

Dont take it out on the news- they can only report what they have been told by someone!!! Apparently the person giving them their newscast info has left them with this impression...

Any info on where we can see this? Missed it here. When did it air?

The link is on Fox news .com (do a google search) Thumblina is in the video box in the top right hand corner....Theresa

I don't think I am taking it out on the news. Fox News claims that they are fair and balanced, and I felt that it was left as a problem in the Miniature horse world. I would have liked to have like to have heard that this was not a common problem with Minis

Just what is the definition of common? One in 100, 1 in 1000, 1 in 10,000. Dwarfism IS a problem in minis AND in shetlands (by my experiance) and in other breeds. To me it is all too common in minis esp. on farms that do not make a concentrated effort to select against it. I just visited a farm were out of perhaps 15 foals 3 showed obvious signs of dwarfism and the kids were talking about the other deformed foals that had died that year. I did not see the FOX story, I did see the newspaper article and thought it was very well done.

I just went and watched it and the owner does clearly say that she is a dwarf miniature horse. She looks very loved and well taken care of. It would be nice to have more info given in the interview but I have done live tv and its very nerve wracking especially with that many newscasters jumping in and talking. It is very hard to get a word in

I found this for all to view, than give your remarks.

As Kay has said and I say the same after finding and viewing this, is hard to get a word in.

News is News
default_wink.png
:

Watch the video on Thumbelina

You have to watch a commercial first about Yahoo than Thumbelina will load.

http://www.foxnews.com/foxfriends/index.html

I watched the video and they did say she is a dwarf.

I think the problem is that most people are not familiar with what the word DWARF means. In most peoples mind it means "extra small" like "teacup". To us who are familiar it means health issues or more. Think how the term is used in other breeders circle. We bred rabbits and had Netherland Dwarves. we also bred Dwarf Hot tots which was a "SIZE" term. I think that the person should have explained that dwarfism is a genetic issue in Miniatures and not a welcomed one because of the issues it has with it. Educate the public on what the word means and I believe more awareness to the issue will be a result.

QUOTE(Joyce @ Oct 3 2006, 04:54 PM)

Yes they did, but she was advertised as "The worlds smallest horse" not dwarf.

Sandy

I'm getting kind of sick with all this pointing and yelling at people who promote drawfs. You say that they are not horses but really when a person is deformed at brith are they not a human?

There are always going to be people who promote drawfs as healthy corrcet miniature horses. The answer to the problem is not sending mail to the media about all the "bad" people. Get a group of people together make a club and promote the true miniature horse if you feel that bad about it.

I am sure that the little mare will raise lots of money for charity. and i cheeked out the farm site and they do have nice horses.

-Vanessa

Here is their web site. Check it out, worth the Look

One tiny equine has a special place in the Goesslings' hearts -- a dwarf named Thumbelina, who, with her disproportionately large head, barrel chest and stubby legs, has been affectionately dubbed the stable's potbelly pig.

At a mere 17 1/2 inches high and 60 pounds, Thumbelina, who resides in an igloo-style doghouse, may also soon have a special place in miniature horse history. The Goesslings have contacted the Guinness Book of World Records in a bid to enter Thumbelina as the tiniest horse in the world -- no small feat for a 3-year-old who, according to Goessling, "rules" at Goose Creek.

http://www.goosecreekfarms.net/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting kind of sick with all this pointing and yelling at people who promote drawfs. You say that they are not horses but really when a person is deformed at brith are they not a human?

-Vanessa
[SIZE=14pt]Thank you Vanessa for these words! Regardless what your feelings are about this little dwarf or any other dwarf, the fact is they are still little horses! By no means do I, as a miniature horse breeder want to promote dwarf's! But, I also beleive that as a breeder we all should take full responsibility for what we produce! Dwarf's are part of the breed,always have been and will continue to be until the dwarf gene is isolated. I know there's many, many breeders that hide the fact that thier farm has ever produced a dwarf and would go to great links to hide the fact! But folks, this is 2006 and it's high time that everyone accepts the facts about dwarf's! [/SIZE]

Bill & The "Brat Pack"

Well Sandy, I have been waiting for two days to watch the deal on Fox News about the horse. I thought she was cute. The little horse seems to have it made in life. Maybe her appearance on Fox News will help get everyones curiosity going about the miniature horse. I really feel like she made it to the News because she is so small and unusual. Their have been other dwarf minis in the past that have received lots of attention. Anyway don't let it get to you. Its just the news in New York. See ya later, Dinda

I heard about this on the radio and went to the website they mentioned-- www.worldssmallesthorse.com . There is a connection on that site to the Goose Creek farm site. On that site, it explains that her dam is now a pet and not being bred so as to prevent another 'thumbalina'. I just hope others will go through all the links I went thru to find that out.

Angie

PS: I also know the Goesslings--Kay and Paul--personally and they are very nice people that will take care of this little horse till the day it dies. They have some very nice miniatures.

I think one of the problems is all these people that complain about Dwarfs need to quit breeding . If they are so worried about Dwarfs being born then DON't breed. They have a chance of producing one. So what are people suppose to do if they have one ? I had a trainer that had my yearling show filly at the time I bought a little adorable Dwarf as a pet. They told me if they ever had one on their farm they would INJECT it with dawn dish detergent IV to put it down. How sick is that????? That so called trainers daughter is now pregnant and I sure hope she does'nt have an Ugly kid or God forbid deformed one. They would probably INJECT it with DAWN too! I don't believe in breeding Dwarfs but God forbid if you have one that is not in pain or suffering find it the best home you can. My adorable little girl is the love of my life. She is crippled but gets around and does not seem to be in pain. She is smarter than most of the horses I have owned over the past 14 years. I also live in the same state the people with Thumbelina do and I know those people don't need the money and would Never do anything to exploit her or anything to harm her.Alot of peolpe have there mouths going on this subject maybe they need to sit back and listen to themselves. QUIT Breeding period because you too have a chance of throwing a DWARF!!!! Alot of BIG breeders want them instantly OFF their farm when they have one so no one can see. That is so sad .

Latest posts

Back