For those who show. . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
So I came back from a horse show, and my husband asked me "Why do you like to show? It's a lot of work." And I honestly had to think to answer. When I was a kid, I was hyper-competitive, and showing was all about WINNING! But now, I find it's not, so I really had to think about it. I don't breed, or sell, or train or do lessons anymore, so it's not to promote myself / my horses / my breeding program, etc. I just love all of it - getting ready, showing, even cleaning up after when I'm exhausted. It's partly the people I show with, partly the competition, partly being able to see progress in my horses and know they can hold their own, partly knowing that when they do well it's because I TRAINED THEM to do that. . . but I can't put a finger on why it's so important to me to do.

So what's your reason? I'd be interested to hear why others enjoy this hobby that can be so frustrating, expensive, and so much work ! : )

Oh, and one more thing, I think sometimes I do it because it makes me feel closer to my mom. My mother is 86, with Alzheimer's. She doesn't remember any of the family members (myself included). But she and I went to shows together from the time I was 8 until I was 32. Still today, she may not know anything of what's going on or who is around her, but if you mention horse showing she will say "Those were some fun times! I enjoyed that so much!" I hope that if that time / situation ever comes for me, that is also my memory of showing!

I keep to myself at shows as theres not very many nice folks at the shows that I go to, BUT I go for a couple of reasons for myself....

* To have fun with my minis

* Get them off the farm to go do something with them other then just standing in a drylot all day board.

* So they can see other horses.

* Justify owning them to my hubby. lol

* Too show them off cause Im pretty proud of what I own, show, & breed.

wes_2009.jpg

I LOVE to show for many reasons:

To promote my breeding program

To show off my favorite horses LOL

To be able to see my horsey friends that I dont see often

To meet new people

The competition

A good excuse to clean up my horse

Show pictures!!!

Just be able to go in the classes as they are so fun (Especially Liberty!)

Showing is kind of like a whole bunch of vacations for me!

It is a lot of work but is well worth it in the end regardless of the placings.

264706_1911898475148_1172460008_31793256_2557148_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying Minis, you've pretty given all my reasons and I too have to "put up with" that question from my hubby. I've shown different types of horses at different sorts of shows since I was in high school. Some of my best memories are of me and my sis at the horse shows. I guess it's because of those memories and the fact that I have really nice horses that I love to show off that I still go.

By the way my sis still shows too (we're both in our 60s now). She has everything from Saddlebreds to minis and several in between. Our families think we're nuts but it's just FUN! Even when it's work I remember how lucky I am to be able to just own and show when so many other people would love to do it, can't.

Where else can you go and talk horses non stop and no one gets that glazed over look? LOL.

I love to win and be competitive but more than that I adore 99 percent of the people I show with and against. To me its not work its fun that involves a lot of work.

I have learned so much sitting around in chairs after the show and after the horses are put to bed than you could reading 20 books.

As a breeder I feel its important to show and know that at least some judges agree that what I am breeding is on track and deserves to be bred.

We havent shown since the economy tanked but hoping to show at least once this year

I'm in my second year of showing at our small club shows. Here's why I do it, despite the immense amount of work and self-inflicted stress:

* A chance to meet other mini people in our club

* A chance to learn more about my horses and learn valuable information from other club members

* It's my hobby and I take pride in the hard work I do to participate

* I like pretty ribbons
default_laugh.png

Its funny, my husband and I were discussing this just the other day. He wondered what made me want to show when, as he put it, "you get grumpy before a show" Which annoyed me lol. Regardless of whether I get stressed and impatient with him (only justifiably I assure you
default_wink.png
) I love to show for the sheer fun of mixing with other people who admire a nice horse as much as I do. Its fun to with but I enjoy showing off my horse and its training whether I win or another deserving competitor does. Like kaykay and wingnut it is the sharing a common interest with the other people there that brings me out.

I am pretty competative but mainly I do it because, as Flying Minis said, I love the satifaction of knowing that I trained them to do that. We are constantly getting better. I love to see the pay offs of my hard work.

Loving the replies to this thread !

Sandee, I hope I am you in 15 years! I too have shown about everything, and I have a Saddlebred now that I also show - and even "game" on my trail horse a little! My hubby is really very supportive, he was just honestly curious why I do it - he really doesn't have any hobbies he's in to. But he's the one that told me to go get what I wanted and show as much as I wanted when I was diagnosed with MS, he's been incredibly supportive ever since, keeps saying, do it while you can - just know your limits (sometimes I forget that, and then I get the "what were you thinking" lecture when I overdo it at a show and literally cannot get out of bed the next day.)

Here's to long lives full of horse shows, and the many great friends that go with it!!! Now, I'm off to a show tomorrow!

the number one reason is to see our Horse Show Family! Everybody at the shows we go to is very friendly, and some we have known for 15Plus years, and others we've just met. Even at Nationals we meet new folks and talk with everybody.

I love to chat and share ideas, hear others problems and solutions, and just talk!

Oh Oh Oh and I forgot --- the MONEY! There's so much MONEY INVOLVED - it's all about the MONEY! Oh wait, that's going out, not coming in. Sorry, my bad.
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Being with other like-minded people.

Showing off my babies.

Actually being GOOD at something (I was awful in gym class)

Talking nothing but horses all weekend.

Winning. (sometimes)

One of my first foals was labeled "junk" right away. When she was old enough, I couldn't find a trainer who would take her, she wasn't "fancy" enough to ever be a show horse. Maybe it's the wrong reason to show, but I find those same trainer's expressions rather funny when we walk out of the ring with one or more of these on our halter...

HPIM3900.jpg

I prefer to show over breeding. Don't get me wrong I like the new foals but as of right now I don't breed, all I got is 3 geldings and 2 of them show while the other has been shown and is enjoying his retirement in the pasture after he received his HOF. I also love to train my horses and try to do better in my training and I still have lots to learn. I just like to show off what my horses can do and what I have done with them in their training. I also like to visit old friends and especially at Nationals its literally like a family reunion.

The one thing I don't like about showing is I can't stand the clipping. It's getting better but I can only do one at a time.

While I don't show professionally or anything, I do show my horses in my local FFA.

I show because I want them to get used to outside surroundings. The fairgrounds require stalled horses and you pretty much have little kids surrounding your stall because your horse is their size. The little kids are scared of the QH's but they really like my minis. They can relate to them.

I enjoy being around, as someone put it, my horsey family. I enjoy showing my horses to others and watching everyone elses horses I learn new things everytime I go. Also, As far as my minis, where else do you find classes that offer special needs? I have MS and rather then being difficult to manage with my limitations, I find that my horses support me! I agree though that clipping is the pits, shaving worse!

Barb

I no longer have any breeding or show horses - BUT I STILL GO TO THE SHOWS - especially Nationals.

First of all, where else can you be friends--TRUE friends--with people from just about EVERY walk of life and there are NO social barriers because you share this PASSION?

Then there was the added value it brought to my breeding program by getting my horses out in front of lots of people and showing that they had what it takes.

Showing is a product of my very goal-oriented personality. I love training my horses, but I especially love it when I have a goal. It gives me a time frame in which to complete my goal and a scale to compare the success of what I've done to others who have been working toward the same goal.

I also love the people! And the time off of work. lol

I began showing when I was in Jr. High in 4-H. I had (and still struggle with) a low-self esteem problem. I had a nice pony when I was in 4-H and did well with her. The positive feedback I received on her helped my self esteem problems a lot. That's partly why I still show. It's probably a bit of a "I'm as good as you" thinking that keeps me showing. When I do well I feel good and it feeds my self esteem
default_firstprize.gif
. When I don't do well and I throughly enjoy myself and my horse(s) anyway-then it's even better!
default_firstprize.gif
My not-really-competitive husband who shows is teaching me how to just have fun and the 'heck with the rest of it'!

I also enjoy the results of preparing (the actual prep sucks sometimes) the horse(s) and seeing the pretty results.

I love the people to chat with that have like interests. There weren't a lot of people to talk horse to when I was younger and that made me feel like I was odd at times.. Now I know there's lots of us oddballs out there!
default_cheers.gif

Where else can you go and talk horses non stop and no one gets that glazed over look? LOL.
I don't show, its too stressful for me and now shows are too far away (I really live in the sticks); but this is best reason I've heard for showing.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back