Foaling Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
How many people actually have the vet do an IgG test on newborn foals?

Or do you do the test yourselves? If you test yourselves, what brand of test do you use?

How many hours after the foal is born do you test?

Last edited by a moderator:
We always have the test done by the vet within 12 to 24 hours of birth. At the same time our vet makes sure all is well with the mare and does a newborn checkup on the foal.

I do for every foal, at least 12 hrs after they nurse for the first time. The vet gives the foal an overall health check, and can also check the mare and the placenta. I figure it pays off in the long run, in the health of the mare and the foal. It's such a simple thing not worth the risk of losing the foal you waited so long for!

We test every foal. The vet sells us the tests and we do them ourselves. Libby is the drawer of blood, I am the baby holder. I go to her place and help her, she comes to our place to help us.

I have never had done one of those tests on any of the foals I have ever had born here. So far, so good. Been raising minis(averaging only 4-6 foals/year) since '94.

Well I dont have it done as a general rule but have had it done yes. However pulling blood isnt something that I think should be done by just anyone. I can do IV shots although I hate to do it I mean I really hate to do it and pay my vet to do them for me.

Always, always, always......There are just to many reasons that the foal might not have sufficient IgG levels..you must check them. This to me is one area where you don't skimp on expense..why waste all that time going through gestation only to lose the foal to insufficient IgG levels. Not being judgmental but what a shame on if your little one dies without a fighting chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every one, every single time. Cheap test for peace of mind. It can determine how strong a foal is and if you need to give a little more care to one over the other. I have never had one be too low but had one around 400 (if I remember correctly) and I just made sure she was a little extra sheltered and coddled her a bit more.

I have never had one low enough that we needed a plasma transfer though. It is not that expensive and that way the vet can check heart, lungs, stifles etc. Just gives you a heads up and an early start on any problems.

I do the IgG tests (I have a vet do them). Foals can go downhill so quickly that I find it extremely important to do this test. It's simple it's reasonably priced and it gives you peace of mind that your foal is healthy. Otherwise it tells you they ARENT and NEED either a colostrum supplement of some sort, etc. Best to ask your vet about this.

I have had the vet out several times to have one done, but not all the time. If it takes the foal too long to get a grasp on the nursing, or if I am not sure that the foal is getting very much milk by drinking or if the mare is not putting out much milk, I have had the vet come and do one. Otherwise I don't, if all is fine.

Vet has done them after the birth of our two foals in 2004 and 2005,

at the same time he comes to do the Well Mom and Baby check up.

He'll do the same again this year.

Gives me a higher level of comfort to know everything is going right.

My vet comes out after every foal is born, if I didn't call him to have him come out I'd get in big trouble with him.

He does the IgG, checks the placenta, checks heart rates on Mom and Baby, checks gut sounds on Mom, etc.

IgG should be checked between 12 and 24 hours after the foal is born.

I've only had two foals born, but I did have the vet out each time to check. With Skipper, the vet was out when he was just hours old as he wasn't nursing (I think because we kept trying to "help" him do it -- should have let him find it himself). The vet could not do the test at that point but helped us syringe and treated Lou for colic / soreness. The colostrum has to be in the foal system 12 hours I think, so he had to come back out the next morning (and Skipper was doing good). Back when my first foal was born, they had to test it at the office but with Skipper (2003), it was a little "snap test" and he started getting the indication that all was well on the test before he even left the farm.

Latest posts

Back