Fly masks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple Hollow Farm

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had tried the new lycra flymask

18233.jpg

Does it actually fit right and does it stay on well even if the horse is turned outside

We have had a lot of trouble finding normal fly masks that actually fit the minis right we have tried almost literally every mask we have seen and the closest best fit is the foal size for full sized horses the ones that say mini always have places where the flies can get underneath and to the eye.

Just wondering whether this one has been used yet and also any other ones that you would suggest? Thanks.

Have not tried that paticular fly mask.

I really like the Platform Mini mask. It is expensive IMO altho I have seen worse, but I used the original one on a A size 32" mini and fit him just great. He had a little bigger of an average head then a 32" mini should have but it fit. Now they have masks for specifically A size horses and masks that have ears. You can find them on jeffersequine.com

I have used others in the past and just never did like them like the Platform masks, it always got up in their eyes and made their eyes runny and never really did offer much protection like from the sun like they were suppose too.

my friend has this mask but her gelding always gets it off and sometimes flys get in it doesn't really let there faces breath. Thats just my opinon I like the new mini mask made by franan.

I wouldn't think breathing would be an issue.. spandex/lycra is very breathable. I wear spandex pants all the time riding and stuff and they are so comfortable and light and airy i never get hot or anything in them..... also can't see how the bugs would get in any easier than any other fly mask i've ever seen for big and small horses. the spandex is snug against the face. One of my friends had one of these a few years ago and said she liked it..stayed on (although i'm sure some horses can get them off like nothing..just depends on the horse i'm sure).

I love this mask! I bought it this past summer for the show horses when they were outside. If you get the right fit, they work great. If they are too large, the horses tended to try to get them off.

Thanks for your replies! I may get one to try and still keep looking for others. We have a mare that is blind in one eye and the flies really bother it in the summer so we like to keep a mask on her and the one we have is getting really old and ratty so it would be nice to get a new one that will work better.

I've not tried this one, but two I've found that I like are the Cashel and the Farnam ones made for minis. The Farnam proably would not fit a really tiny one, it is goes just small enough for my 33". The Cashel fits great, but if I bought another I would get one w/o the full nose. It tends to get in the way of the muzzles.

[SIZE=12pt]I love these masks
default_wub.png
I have several and they work wonderfully
default_aktion033.gif
they are stretchy so get the size you think will fit, not the next size up. All my horses wear them and no one gets them off
default_aktion033.gif
. Just like any fly mask, I take them off daily and wipe their eyes and make sure there is no irritation. I have the ones that cover the full ears.[/SIZE]

They get rave revues from me
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Joy

I make my own fly masks so I can get a good fit. I altered the pattern from www.Suitability.com and make the maskes from plastic mesh I buy online or from a craft store (neighbors love the bright colors). I sew fleece around the edges so they don't rub.

I like the lycra idea but I think it does not breathe as well as the mesh. My QH got a fungus around his eye from wearing a fly mask on a very humid/wet day. Even though I take them off at night, the mesh mask held in the moisture. It took several trial and error applications of ointments before I could get rid of his fungus (Gynalotramin did the trick). But for a dry spring or fall, I'd love to try the lycra.

P.S. I live in Maryland. We have hot and humid summers.

I love that fly mask
default_smile.png
it fits well on my guy, as far as wear & tear it probably wouldn't hold up to well with the way some geldings like to play....pulling each others halter & mask off.....but my guy is out in his own corral so that isn't the case for him but I do buy a new one every year cause the netting can tear by the end of the summer.

My friend had that exact same flymask for her Arabian gelding, it worked great. The material is more "delicate" than conventional flymasks, so if you have a horse that likes to tear them or if it is in with "buddies" who like to play I don't think it will last.

Andrea

I won't put anything spandex on my horses. I used a hood and it almost put my horses eye out!
default_new_shocked.gif

Is there a link for this fly mask? I have to start looking into those.

What happened to the old fashioned fly bands? We use to put them on our horses when I was young. They fit over the browband and have fringe. Are these not being used any more?

I have seen that mask before and thought of putting it on shotgun but don't think he would care for it. To tight looking?

Also if you use such a mask I would assume you have clipped the face and ears?

What happened to the old fashioned fly bands? We use to put them on our horses when I was young. They fit over the browband and have fringe. Are these not being used any more?
I have seen that mask before and thought of putting it on shotgun but don't think he would care for it. To tight looking?

Also if you use such a mask I would assume you have clipped the face and ears?
I have seen the old fly bands but only for regular sized horses. I do think it looks kind of tight and that is one of my concerns with it and i hope I dont have to do a head and neck clip but if I do it isnt that big of a deal but I am curious now as to whether it would hurt it to put a forelock hole in it since the horse I want it for has a huge forelock and it probably wouldnt be very comfy underneath that tight material...hmm

I got some of those and we love them.

i have a couple of "albino" eyed minis and it blocks the glare of the sun and is great

i wish i had more so when the dust blows i could put them on all of them

If anyone knows if i can get full size ones link me

dawn

Latest posts

Back