Flaxseed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I had fed flaxseed before but stopped when I ran out. I wanted to feed it again and bought some more.

I don't remember how much to feed them but I know it's hardly anything!

Thanks for any responses!

Most of my minis (mostly B-size) get 1 to 3 tablespoons depending on the horse. The Cushing's gelding gets about 3 tablespoons (its 3/4 ounce in his SmartPak of Omega Horseshine, everyone else gets plain stabilized flax). The 3 A-size minis gets just 1TBS, then the rest get an amount based on what they need, most do fine on 1TBS, but 3 get 3 TBS (I'm hoping the anti-inflammatory properties the Omega-3s in flax will help with their arthritis or other issues).

Ground or whole?

For sand clearing, about 1/4 cup whole unground flax.

For coat, 1 or 2 tablespoons.

Where do you purchase flax seed whole? I can always grind it up in my coffee grinder.
a lot of feed stores have whole flax seed, although you might only be able to get a 50# sack (which might not keep long enough to finish up if you only have a mini or two). Also some grocery stores have it, and health food stores.

I buy stabilized ground flax seed, as its more convienent for me, I can't get it from the local feed stores (whole or otherwise).

Yes, it is the same as a psyllium product. The horse can't digest the shell.

Thanks guys.

I bought whole flaxseed at my local grocery store. We have them at both of our regional stores in town (I work at one) but not our walmart? (They had ground flaxseeds)

I opted for whole flaxseeds. I have heard numerous theories on whether or not horses are able to digest the flaxseed shell and from my research and personal experiences from using whole flaxseeds; my horses do just fine with the whole seeds.

I started feeding them this morning (Haven't yet decided at which feeding to feed them yet) and I am going to feed my normal minis (ones that I wanted it for color and etc) the 1 tablespoon. My other minis (my three dwarves) I am going to feed them 3 tablespoons for color and for what it provides the immune system. I don't have a whole bunch of money to spend on medicine for them and supplements so this helps bunches. (I fed them flaxseed last summer. I believe, and they did very well.)

I've ground them up myself before, btw.

Latest posts

Back