Flax Seed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myfirstmini

Reaction score
I'm going to start giving my mini's ground flax seed and I was wondering from those that use it, how much should I feed daily. I have a 12 year old mare and and 18 month old filly. Thanks in advance.

I have to admit that I don't actually measure the amount very closely, what I do is use a palmful but it would work out to be about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup on average. I know others say 1 or 2 tablespoons per feeding (which would still be about 1/4 cup a day I think) Hopefully someone who measures more accurately will give you an answer.
default_smile.png

I feed mine 1/3 cup with their morning feed and a 1/3 with their evening feed, for 2/3 a cup a day, total.

I feed my "big" horses 1 cup with their evening feed (a day); my "big" horses only get hay in the morning, no feed.

l use one heaping tablespoon twice a day mixed in with there ration. l found on my fave guy if l gave more then that like 2 tablespoons twice a day he started getting those fat pads over his shoulders within a few weeks. l've also noticed if l gave to much some of them would get loose shinny poops..

I use the stabilized ground flax seed from Omega Fields. Using their recommendations, I feed 1/3 C./day to my 'big' R mare, who weighs @ 375 lbs. The others get from @ 1/5 to 1/4 C./day, according to their weight (range is from @ 200 to 260 lbs. on the others).

The Omega Fields is GREAT stuff,IMO. You order it over the internet; shipping is included in the price.

Margo

i'm assuming most people get it in bulk..what do you usually pay for it? Funy this topic just came up tonight since i was a healthfood store earlier and asked about pricing of it in bulk! lol she quoted me $34 for 20lbs of golden and 48.00 for brown flax.... good or bad buy?

We pay right around 40 dollars for a 50# bag of whole flax seed. We buy this from our feed store.

For those who like to grind theirs a coffee grinder works wonderfully. Breaks them up and loosens the oils in them..

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

i'm assuming most people get it in bulk..what do you usually pay for it? Funy this topic just came up tonight since i was a healthfood store earlier and asked about pricing of it in bulk! lol she quoted me $34 for 20lbs of golden and 48.00 for brown flax.... good or bad buy?
Boinky,

I recommend Brumfield Hay & Grain in Lexington and their ground flaxseed if you are going to feed ground flaxseed to more than one horse per day. They sell it in small packages (5 or 6 pound packages and maybe 10 pound packages) on the shelf in their storefront and/or you can buy it in a 50 pound bag and pick it up at their docking area. They grind (or have it ground) it in a way that preserves the oil. It was less than $40 for a 50 pound bag a month ago. It is of excellent quality and works better than any other ground flaxseed product I tried (including grinding my own whole flaxseeds with a coffee grinder right before feeding them). I drive all of the way to Lexington for this as I couldn't find it anywhere cheaper or better closer to me. This is much cheaper than any other price for buying it in any other way (including the internet) that I found near me in Kentucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
50lb bag 32.00 at Lapeer Grain. I feed 1 tablespoon am and pm to 32"-34" minis

Hi,

I fed 1/4 c of flax to my 37" Mare twice a day. It mad her coat so shiney, that even right after clipping.

As for prices, I just bought a 50# bag of flax seed for $57.99 at our local feed store. The 10# bag is about $14....Thie tme last year, it was averaging about $8 for a 10# bag.....

Amanda

Interesting topic; I just starting feeding ground flax seed this year on the advice of a very wise older horseman. He claims not only a shinny coat, but horses will not colic because of the additional oil in their body. However, he only recommended one teaspoon per day day, and I admit, I just guess by sprinkling it into the feed. But so far, so good, and YES, I noticed the shinny stools also. My feed store sells it in bulk; so I buy in small amounts so that it will no get stale before it is used. Great topic.

Hi! Can I give flax to my pregnant mare? Or should I wait until after she foals?

~Tammy

Flax can be safely fed to pregnant mares. As with anything, make sure it's good quality and fresh.

I bought a 50# bag at Farmers Exchange for $31. I plan on grinding fresh daily before feeding.

Latest posts

Back