Feed Program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Little Blessing

Reaction score
Okie, dokie! I have my Purina Enrich 32 in the garage, waiting to start making baggies for the people who feed at the farm and want to double check before I dole out the grain.

According to feeding instructions, Blessing should be getting 1/4lb of grain for every 5 pounds of hay she gets. According to the 2% "rule" which I will follow for now until winter sets in because she is QUITE the easy keeper, she should be getting just UNDER 1/4lb of the Enrich (As based on 4.6lbs of hay ((230x.02))). Now, she will only be getting the roughly 5lbs of hay in total a day, so I should be splitting the 1/4lb of Enrich, correct?

Oy vey! Remember, she is a 30", five year old who is an easy keeper. She will be in light to moderate work and turned out on a dry lot.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions!

With such a small amount, I don't know that you would have to split up the daily amount of Enrich 32; but, I like to feed everything twice a day (hay and grain), so I would split it.

I have a 31" stallion that gets 1/4# of ration balancer, it comes to about 2/3 cup; so, I feed him 1/3 cup 2x daily. Its a pitiful little amount in his bucket, but that's all he's supposed to get and he does fine on it (along with hay and/or pasture).

Really with ration balancers, the amount any mini gets is pretty small; my B-size minis on maintenance get 2/3 cup 2x daily, which really isn't much at all, but just fine for these easy-keeping chubbos. [i use a dry measure kitchen cup, well 2/3 cup measure, to measure out their feed. I did weigh it all initially, now I just scoop.]

I was questioning splitting it because it is such a small amount! Poor thing probably only just tastes it then it's gone! She was on 1/4 cup of Gro' N Win, but she wasn't in too much work then, so I'm thinking the 1/3 of a cup twice a day now that she is working will work.

Julie--three of mine get-literlly--1/2 tsp of Mega-Cell twice a day. Once a half oz is divided--there's just not much there! I add one treat--bite sized. They still look forward to it and always get their hay right afterwards. So--she'll be fine. It bothers us more than it bothers them.
default_yes.gif

Sometimes i feel like it's "Here, here are four pellets!" Really though, the grain actually came out to a reasonable amount and little B cannot complain.
default_wink.png

Did all of the AMs. Going to grab her MSM and do 200 more, but PMs this time!

I know it' s a lot to bag at once and I question separating it all, but this is the way it has to be and it has worked for me well in the past. Might have to see if I can find her some cookies at the tack shop today...
default_wink.png

Blessing should be getting 1/4lb of grain for every 5 pounds of hay she gets. According to the 2% "rule" which I will follow for now until winter sets in because she is QUITE the easy keeper, she should be getting just UNDER 1/4lb of the Enrich (As based on 4.6lbs of hay ((230x.02))). Now, she will only be getting the roughly 5lbs of hay in total a day, so I should be splitting the 1/4lb of Enrich, correct?

If I were to give Shake 4 or 5 pounds of hay, I'd have to roll him out to the round pen, not walk him. LOL!

I'm just going ot have to figure it out. As it stands, she will be getting a third of a cup of Enrich in the morning and in the evening and half a flake of hay after those meals. SHe gained weight at the farm she is at now (Grrr.), so I'm sure I will be adjusting anyway.

Latest posts

Back