Feed Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Little Blessing

Reaction score
Calling all feed program experts! I am going to be moving my mini again soon and am not quite happy with what the current farm has her on, but am not sure what to switch her to. When I picked her up from BannerBrat she was in PERFECT condition. That was on well eaten down pasture and a feed that, of course, I have lost the name of, but that is okay because she is going to be going into a different situation so I want to adjust her program anyway. She is an extremely easy keeper, but won't be on a s much grass as she was while in training. She will also be stalled a few hours more per day.

Like I said she is an easy keeper, but will be going out in a dry lot for her turnout for the next few months, so grass will be limited to hand grazing. She does pull a cart and I do intend to work her in our indoor during the winter (Don't worry, I ride the biggies and know about warming up/cooling down, etc.). It will not be excessive driving, but it keeps her far too smart mind busy. The farm gets great quality grass hay and they hay at least twice a day. Thinking since she won't be on grass a lot to keep that at 2lbs in the AM and PM. Might spread it out a little if the snow get super deep (As it tends to do where I go to school!) and she goes out a little less and have them hay 3 times a day, but still the four pounds.

My question is, what grain would be best for her? She is on hay stretchers now, and I cannot figure out why other than they feel like she should get grain. I have noticed an increase in her weight since she has been there and because it is hard to get off of her, I do not want to keep her on the hay stretchers. Plus, it's just more hay.

As a side note, she is also on MSM daily.

Thanks!

I can answer that, Kay. Blessing is just under 30" and five years old.
default_smile.png

I think if it were me I would if I wanted to give her grain lower her amount of hay and then give her grain any significant amount of grain on top of her 4 pounds of daily hay is really a lot of feed for most 30 inch minis

There are a million ways to feed and every horse will metabolize a grain differently. I would find someone whose horses you feel look good and then ask them what they are feeding and give that a try. Tweak as needed

If she's an easy keeper, I'd try her on a ration balancer like Gro 'n Win. Both my girls are on it and are very healthy looking. I haven't used anything else since I've had my minis. Hay and Gro 'n Win keeps them in great shape. I even fed just that during Lex's pregnancy and during lactation (just more of it, of course) and she stayed in amazing shape throughout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did feed Gro' n Win whenI first got her, but she was on grass a bit more then. Is GNW enough when she won't be on all that much grass? Just almost feel like there isn't enough in it.

Hmmm. What if I fed the Gro' n Win GC formula? Says grass and mixed forage, which I think is suitable and it has "glucosamine and chondroitin for added joint support." which might be good for her little popping hocks. Would that with MSM be too much supplement, though?

With the "Grow N Win" as a supplement, she may not need the MSM.

Just remember the 2 percent rule of thumb of her body weight when figuring her diet.

PLUS, as winter sets in you will want int INCREASE her HAY intake...above the 2 percent rule.

I did feed Gro' n Win whenI first got her, but she was on grass a bit more then. Is GNW enough when she won't be on all that much grass? Just almost feel like there isn't enough in it.

It's enough. Like I said, I raised a foal on just that. She grew fine and healthy inside her mom on just that. If you have good quality hay and or grass, it's enough. Believe me
default_wink.png
I though the same thing at first. But my girls are at a perfect weight on just hay and Gro 'n Win (and maybe just a tad over
default_wink.png
). I put about 25lbs of much needed weight on my new filly on just alfafa/timothy hay and Gro 'n Win.

Just to show you
default_smile.png
Lexus and Briar. Only on grass hay and Gro 'n Win
default_wink.png
(now the horses are on an alfalfa/timothy mix and get the alfa Gro 'n Win)

019.jpg

Lexus about 2 weeks from foaling...

Lexus0326.jpg

Coming out of winter after weaning Briar

DSCF00252.jpg

And...my Willow

DSCF0071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it has "glucosamine and chondroitin for added joint support." which might be good for her little popping hocks. Would that with MSM be too much supplement, though?

No, she'd be fine on that or mostly any ration balancer would be good and the MSM shouldn't hurt. With MSM their body utilizes what it needs then they pee out the rest. My concern would be you not feeding ample hay especially since you said she will be doing good stall time. Horses are grazers and cannot/should not go for long without hay to graze upon if they do not have access to grass. As Mary Ann said especially during winter they need their hay and I totally blow that 2 percent rule around here. Be sure the stall you are bringing her too is low enough that she can easily see out too.

Matt, thanks for the photos. They do look good.
default_smile.png

Marty, she will be out a lot, just not on tons of grass, she will have hay outside and in. Of course, she's a little vaccum, so might have to invest in an busy snacker, but believe me, she will be well "hayed".

Now to find a supplier who carries Buckeye around suburban NJ!

Now to find a supplier who carries Buckeye around suburban NJ!
I too feed a ration balancer and love it. I do have two hard keepers that need a little more, but the other 8 look great on just the ration balancer plus grass or hay.

If you can't find Buckeye, there are plenty od companies that make them; Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass (this is what I feed - they also have an alfalfa formula), Triple Crown makes one, Purina Enrich 32, and I'm sure there are others.

So, Buckeye is out becasue I can't get my hands on a bag, grrrr.

Looking into the Enrich 32. Anyone else feed it?

Enrich 32 would be a good choice. It's similiar to Buckeye or Progressive Ration Balancers. If that's available in your area, then I would use it.

Tracked down a bag of Enrich 32 and will be picking it up later today. It is so hard to find really specialized feed within driving distance! The feed supplier to the farm where my biggie is doesn't carry any sort of ration balancer, weird!

Latest posts

Back