Fat, fat pony...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
Last february we brought home Remmy, a gorgeous, but fat, little gelding for my daughter. I kept thinking that he'd slim down once he shedded out...lol...I was in denial I think.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

So, I have accepted it, and understand, that he is unbelievably obese. I've ordered a grazing muzzle, they sent it, it was defective, I reordered it and now it's back-ordered. So step one is in limbo.

Step 2 was to get him on a supplement for a calcified injury on his front fetlock that makes him gimp at the trot...I wanted him to be more comfortable with exercise. He started on Recovery EQ on the 1st of June, and so far he still gimps but I noticed this morning he was willingly trotting about and kicking up his heels. Hopefully thats a good sign that the supplement is starting to work. The biggest problem I have with the supplements is being in a powder form -- I have to feed him a little grain to mix with it -- Lord knows this pony needs no grain! I barely toss in one cup of Dynasty pellets (12%). and 1/2 cup BOSS. He also gets some Glanzen for his hooves and coat.

Okay...the next step is to implement an actual weight loss program. We have LOTS of grass here, so I have to rotate him on and off all day (not a problem as I'm in and out of the barn all day long). But what should I actually DO to get him fit? I started taking him on 45 minute walks. But what else can I do? Oh I broke my own cardinal rule about mixing little oneswith the big horses and put him with a TB and a QH gelding and they keep him moving more than the mini mares...he really needs that.

My daughter rides him about 20 minutes at a time on the lunge (she's a beginner), about 4 days a week.

Here he is - 42" tall and 63"" round...this picture does not do him justice, he is MUCH fatter in real life!

remmy2june32006.jpg

first i would stop the BOSS. he doesnt need it!! How many hours per day does he graze?? that is probably the biggest reason hes overweight. Remember to make all changes gradually. He really needs worked at a trot to work up a good sweat.

Is it okay to be giving him the cup of pelleted feed with his supplements? Will 1 cup make that big of a difference?

He is grazing about 8 hours a day...
default_unsure.png
:. Too much?

I'm trying to get his foot stronger (or less ouchy) so he can trot without gimping...hopefully that will happen SOON! I know he needs to sweat but I'm just worried about making him hurt...

the one cup wont hurt him and he needs the supplements so i would continue with that but 8 hrs on lush grass is a lot especially for an overweight horse. Boss is a lot of fat which is why it makes the coat shiney but for sure he doesnt need extra fat in his diet. definately get the foot stronger before working him
default_smile.png
hes a cute thing!

Thanks - I cut out the BOSS out this morning and I tried to moisten the grain enough to get the supps to stick. I'm wondering if a cup of soaked beet pulp would be better?

I wanted to mention that I lunged Mr Butterball this morning and hhe is doing MUCH better at the trot - his gimp is barely noticeable and only occasionally. I think the RecoveryEQ is really working! I read very good things about it in Horsemans Journal and decided to try it. So far I'm pleased.

Are you feeding him hay along with his pasture time? Or does he only get the one cup of grain other than pasture?

Yes, he gets hay when he's in...he isn't a little pig, as hard as it may be to believe! A thin flake of hay lasts him all day long.

Maybe my problem is that I can't get his "portions" correct. LOL...my "big" horses are actually VERY big - a Percheron, a WB and a 17hh TB. Perhaps this is poor Remmy's problem!

How much hay would a 42" pony need if he is stalled all day and worked once or twice at a lunge or long walk?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back