EVA Testing for Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmt

Reaction score
One of our vets will no longer give us a health certificate on any in tact colts or stallions without an EVA test. In over 30 years we have never had to do this-it is something we are always more than willing to do if the buyer requests it, but has never been required when I sell a horse to out of state. It has to be sent to Texas and is costly. I didn't know it was needed until this past week-it only takes a day for us to get coggins and the 3 yr old colt I sold was being picked up by his owner this past weekend, but those plans had to change due to the EVA test which will take a wk-2 wks to get back. This colt has never been used as a stud and will be gelded at his new home. It was tough trying to explain to the new owners why it was needed and why this new cost came up.

Does anyone else have to do this? Is it a new requirement or have I just been missing it all these years? I'm going to have to start adding the cost to my sales prices. Not that big of a deal, just another added cost (sigh).

Is it just that one particular vet in your area? Doi you have a state vet that you can call to find out the actual LEGAL paperwork/testing REQUIRED or if this is just a personal thing your vet is requiring through his office??

I have not talked to my other vets as of yet, but she said that she received a letter of "scolding" from the vet board about a different 3 yr old colt I sold last fall that did not have the testing done so she will no longer allow me to get the health cert. Without the test being done. The colt last fall had also never been used as a stallion, but was sold as a breeding stallion. Will check with my other vets in a little bit-they are a little ways away though whereas this vet is only 5 min down the road. Much more convenient to go through her.

I have not heard of it being a required test, and have not heard of of it being an issue with minis yet. I guess I haven't sold a colt in awhile, they've been gelded first, but I will ask my vet next time I see her.

Jan

I sold a 4 year old stallion last fall, he had health certificate & coggins to travel out of state, EVA testing was not required for the health certificate. I did have him breed a few mares, and he was going to be used for breeding also.

It could be certain states require the testing for intact stallions?

Going into the state of Idaho requires either EVA testing or a statement that the stallion is "not EVA tested" on the health certificate.

I haven't encountered this. I do know my vet cautioned me AGAINST vaccinating for EVA on any stallion I thought might potentially be sold overseas as once the animal is vaccinated it's not different, from a testing perspective, from a horse that is infected. And EVA positive stallions are barred from entering many countries. So I didn't vaccinate for it, but I tested any stallion that was breeding any mares of mine or outside mares. Of course this was only on stallions I bought. No point, in my opinion, in testing a horse born on my farm and that I know hasn't been infected.

Do I have this confused with something else???

While it CAN be an issue for international sales, with a proper paper trail it is not always an issue. A horse has to be tested IMMEDIATELY before vaccination, and again two weeks after. And, he has to NEVER miss a vaccination after that.

EVA is beginning to become a mandatory vaccine for stallions. I just wish it was cheaper... it cost me close to $200 to get my two studs done this year, and titer on one of them. That's up from $100 last year. It was $65 PER SHOT this year, which absolutely shocked me.

I fully support EVA testing and vaccination, I just wish it was more affordable.

You are right on, Parmela! It is a VD and the vaccination creates a humoral immune response that when the horse is tested, is not decipherable from an actual infection's immune response, which will give a false positive. I am thinking Kim is probably right and that it differs depending on the state. Maybe Utah and Washington are the only 2 that require it
default_smile.png
I do always test stallions that I purchase before I use them on my mares. Has just never been issue when selling before. Not really a big deal though-was just a little inconvenient for this past colt sold. I'll make sure it is taken into account in the future.

What a mini (no pun intended) nightmare for you. When transport and all is arranged, you expect, or I sure do, to call the vet, drop by for a quickie and the health cert and be done with it. Grrrrr.

A quick look of that page also shows EVA requirements in Montana, NY, Texas, and Utah. I didn't look too hard though, there may be more.

I cannot speak to this situation in particular as I do not know all of the facts, but I would like to comment on Health Certificates in general.

HC's are not a fun part of a Vets job and they produce little to no profit for all of the aggravation and trouble. Contrary to what most people would think, Vets don't know what the requirements are to ship animals intrastate/interstate/internationally. Not because we haven't done it before or because we're stupid, but because the rules change without notifying us, or worse, they are different whether you call and ask this department/secretary today versus that department/secretary tomorrow.

I have gotten the type of letter your Vet received. The letter would have threatened her license to practice Vet medicine. If that licensed is revoked then getting it back is at least costly and slow and at most it is impossible. Plus your licensure in one State can affect your ability to practice in another State.

Please don't be upset over government regulatory work with your Vet. We are not the makers of these rules we are just the unpaid government liaison who gets threatened from both sides. Be patient.

Dr Taylor

Thank you Dr. Taylor-i adore this vet. She owns the clinic and runs it on her own and is fantastic. I think I was just so confused because it's not something we've ever had to worry about before. You know how we people like change
default_smile.png
She calls to ask what is required for each state and I understand things may change. I will just be adding the cost for EVA to my sales prices and have all of my stallions tested.

Latest posts

Back