Emergency, Annabelle is not doing good

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Annabelle has had diarrhea for two days now! I talked to my vet. He said that sometimes foals drink too much milk and this will happen. He also said that the other vet should not have given her the steroid shot without seeing her. It worked though. I don't know that I am comfortable just waiting it out. She just had diarrhea again. She is weak. I feel like taking her to the other vet or giving her some peptobismal. What do you guys think? I am afraid that she is going to dehydrate.

Her diarrhea also could be because your mare is going through her foal heat. That's why they recommend worming the mare the day she foals.

I've had some other thoughts since we spoke, but hoping you were able to get her seen. Foals can crash remarkably quickly, and with her lethargic behavior and the amount of diarrhea she's had today, she could dehydrate so quickly. Please keep me posted, and I'm praying like mad!!!!!!!!

It is all good. Went to the equine vet. He gave her two shots. A little bit of antibiotic, steroid, and I guess Tylenol. She had 103.7 fever. She pooped on the door and floor! Lol. Easy specimen! Have to crush up an antibiotic pill twice a day and give her. Told us to go get yogurt or buttermilk and give her about 30 ml 3 or 4 times a day. Let him have an update Monday. I think I may just keep taking them there. Our kids played ball together and he actually only lives 1 mile from me. I started to drive to my other vets house but I know he was getting busy for the festival tomorrow. I wormed Patty the day After she foaled.

Oh he said she was not dehydrated. He also told me that her grinding her teeth was another sign of her hurting or that something was going on.

I feel so blessed to have all the choices in vets. I was going to take her to the one who gave her the shot the other day but he was already gone.

I am so happy that you have an equine vet so close. That is a real blessing. So happy she's doing better!!

I believe teeth grinding is a sign of ulcers, especially in foals. [The stress of the incident the other day, might have been enough to start ulcers. The yogurt might help with ulcers, but I think it's more of a probiotic.] I don't know what you'd give to a foal, so talk to your vet about ulcer meds for a foal. Biosponge is a good choice to help with diarrhea (I know you can order it on-line, but it might be available in feed stores or from the vet). Make sure Patty's salt block is out of Annabelle's reach at least for a few weeks, foals sometimes fixate on them and then get diarrhea from licking them too much (seems to happen a lot with stalled foals, they get bored).

All I can think of at the moment. [About time to go feed my crew.]

I have used Aloe Vera juice for ulcers and stomach soothing many times.About 6 cc in a syringe and squirt in mouth 2 times daily.ask your vet but it can't hurt.I have also used it myself as a stomach.worked great You can get it at pharmacies or Walmart-get the unflavored kind.Hope your baby is better

I just gave her some yogurt. She liked it okay I guess. I only gave her 20 ml. She seemed full. When we got back from the vet Patty was running around crazy! When she saw Annabelle she really went crazy! Got Annabelle back in the yard and she went straight to her momma and started nursing. We were only gone about an hour at the max. I am going to move the salt and mineral blocks.

I hope she is better. Great that you took her to the vet. Aloe vera is great for ulcers. And I think everyone has been giving great advice. I hope this ends up in the nailed down part of the forum. ( can't think of the name right now)

*pinned

I have know idea. Its a cold I think. But I have blisters...on my throat ewwww. So I hope just a cold. I feel a lot better today though. Just hot flashs, headaches you know the fun stuff
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back