Elephant grass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkapache

Reaction score
It has recently started to be stocked in my local feed supplier and is the same price as shavings, so has anyone tried it or uses it regularly? What are the pros and cons?

Has no one tried it? Maybe it goes by a different name? Its chopped up but not dusty.

Ive never seen it , what exactly is it ? Rushes ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just read on another forum that someone else tried it and liked it , she said It isnt dusty, they dont eat it, and the wet goes to the bottom and leaves the top dry
default_smile.png

The elephant grass used for bedding is actually a variety of miscanthus, which is also a popular ornamental grass popular amongst gardeners (I have 5 different varieties of miscanthus sinensis (Morning Light, Strictus, Zebrinus, Silberlieder, Silver and Gold -- I love it).

My horses have never shown the least bit ofinterest in it, although they are generally kept away from the garden beds.

HOWEVER...

The name of elephant grass is also used for pennisetum purpea, which is considered at least mildly poisonous to horses.

These are two distinctly different grasses, so just make certain that you are using miscanthus and not pennisetum.

(This is why I dislike popular names for plants...oftentimes they are used for multiple plants and make it difficult to research.)

Hey I recognise that name - pink panache ! a very refined bay roan mare that I saw for sale on an irish site Did you buy her? I was tempted to buy her myself shes very pretty , where in Ireland are you ? Im near Longford

Thanks so much for the link Reble, it was very helpful and informative. Think I will definitely give it a try.

Latest posts

Back