E coli Endotox

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Those that use this, how much are you giving your foals? Since it's a vaccine, I just wondered if a miniature should get a full tube, the same as a full size foal?

becky my vet had me do it in thirds so one tube would do 3 mini foals. He wasnt sure if more could be dangerous but thought it was probably over kill for a mini foal. My filly was given a third of a tube and never got diarhea etc.

My vet has me give 1/2 tube per foal. But then she also sells it to me..
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used 1/3 of a tube. I usually notch the plunger so I don't have to guess while administering.

I have not heard of this, what is it and other particulars about it?

Thank you,

Beth

I have a question about the product.

Does anyone know how stable it is? I really goofed. Just ordered 2 tubes and when it arrived along with almost $800 of other vaccines I somehow forgot to put it in the refrigerator. I left it on TOP of the refrig! For about 24 hours. I was so focused on getting all those little bottles in the vaccine storage area that I forgot the big tubes.
default_sad.png

Charlotte

Beth this stuff is to ensure that foals (who are very suseptible to E coli dont get it after being born) Symptoms are horrible diarhea, colic etc. Last year was the first year we had this happen to our foals. My vet thinks it was because it was a horribly rainy spring and they were drinking water puddles in the lot. He had me get this and give it to our last 2 foals born right after they were born. Thank goodness they never got diarhea so to me this stuff is well worth it.

Be sure to order early because last year they ran out during foaling season

Charlotte I looked but couldnt find any info on how long it can be at room temp. I just know we had to keep ours in the fridge

If you are giving a partial tube, do you keep the rest to use on subsequent foals? Just wondering if it 'keeps' for awhile and is still effective.

Becky that is what I did but be sure to keep it in the fridge

default_wacko.png
Well, Charlotte, if they say it's no longer good.........go to Becky's and look in the frig!!!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, Bess, am I going to have to padlock my frig???
default_biggrin.png

Thanks everybody for your response. I'm going to go the 1/3 dose and hope it works! I only have 3 more foals due so that will work out perfectly.

Becky-

Our really, really, good vet has recommended to us to use at least half a tube. But, you can use the entire tube on a mini. We used the entire tube on each of our two foals last year and had NO problems at all- actually no 'foal heat diarrhea' either. I am not sure I would only give 1/3 tube????

And to expand a bit on the earlier question concerning e-coli- our colt died from it at age 4 days. Apparently he didn't get enough colostrum either. But, this is an excellent preventive, a cheap insurance, so to speak, and we are now giving it to all foals as routine. Remember, it has to be given within the first 12 hours of birth- the sooner the better, too. We gave it to ours within about one hour- after the baby nursed some.

I have my three tubes now!!!! Come on, babies!

Peggy

Thank you for the information Kay,

Beth

I have not heard of this product, either.

I am curious.......

After giving to a foal..... how long is it effective as a preventive?

(A year? Longer??)

Thanks,

Becky

Well, Charlotte, if they say it's no longer good.........go to Becky's and look in the frig!!!
Bess! You should have emailed me privately! Now she'll be watching for me
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Charlotte

Charlotte- Let us all know what you find out. It would be good info to have!

Peggy

Latest posts

Back