dustys foaling thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Diane, walk the whole field and then have her checked over by a vet. My guess is she was jealous of the other girls so she decided to pretend to be preggy too
wub.gif

Hugs

Renee

default_saludando.gif
i have booked dusty in to see the vet tomorow as well to ,,,, all are confusion will be solved tomorow

Good idea, not long to wait. Are you on the same time as Cassie?

default_wacko.png
Gosh Dusty what are you doing??..the comparison photos are very good but yes very strange how shes gone backwards..I know they have phantom pregnancies but to that extreme?? I cant see it but will be interesting to hear what the vet says
default_yes.gif
good luck x

default_saludando.gif
well dusty we dont no vet could not get in to have a good look so vet has taken bloods to see if she is in foal

wont get the results maybe till friday ....she also said a change in feed can make there udders change and i have change

her feed...told the vet what i was feeding and she said iam feeding them way to much...LOL LOL
default_no.gif
:No-Sad

Do you know how much it weighs? and how much the horses weigh?

Do you have a scale in the kitchen that you could use at feed time to weigh their food?

default_new_rofl.gif

I always weigh my feeds and then work out how many scoops and such that will equal. But I'm a bit obssessive with my feeding
default_wink.png

First thing I cut back on is chaff, if there is enough grass and roughage (eg hay) in the diet it's the easiest bulk to cut without losing too much of the good stuff.

Is there a reason you are using two types of feed? Whenever possible I try to stick to one main feed and one main supplement per horse. Keeps things simple
default_yes.gif

haha I learnt my lesson off Anna LOL I like you was feeding my girls to much hehe, woops...

now both girls (well suzie gets a little more as she has a baby to feed hehe)

a1/4 scoop of lucerne, 1/4 scoop oaten chaff and one scoop mitavite breeda...

Penny gets 1/2 biscuit hay once a day... and Suzie gets half a buscuit of lucerne hay and half a scoop of oaten hay at night, and a little flake of lucerne in the morning...

lol I hope this is ok Anna LOL

how much grass are they on? if any??

Cassie, if Suzie looks as good as she did in her pics last week, then you are doing fine!!

I would still get rid of that chaff - to dangerous for foals if they start digging into Momma's food, plus I have no idea how much your 'half biscuit' of hay actually weighs, but wouldn't think it nearly enough to keep Suzie's system ticking over all night?? Plus little Finn must be helping himself by now!

Jenny, I agree with Bree - ditch the chaff! Once she foals you do not want anything in her feed bowl that might cause a problem to the foal (choke etc), which is why we change all our mares on to a very small balancer pellet or a mare and foal feed that is small pellets/or will disolve on contact with water (saliva). Of course my girls are on heavily grassed paddocks all day, but they still get hay ad lib throughout the night - how much hay are you feeding as from your pics, you dont have a lot of grass available?

Not sure why you are feeding a mare and WEANLING feed - or do you mean "foal"? If your stud feed is made up of fairly small pellets and they disolve easily, then I would get rid of your other feeds and just use them and plenty of hay (plus your extra vitamins as you are not feeding enough of the stud feed to provide all these).

I dont agree with your vet when she says you are feeding way to much - yes maybe, if you had access to really good grass all day! But as I said, keep the supply of hay going and perhaps up your mare (stud) feed to 4 cups per day (getting rid of the other food) or find a good mare and foal food and give 4 cups of that. Again, as Bree said - keep it simple!!
default_yes.gif

Hoping those results come back positive.
default_aktion033.gif

ps. Have I spelt disolve correctly? It doesn't look right and my brain just wont work this morning! LOL!!

LOL!! Diane - dissolve looks just as 'wrong' as disolve to me!
default_rolleyes.gif

Why do I keep having these mental blocks regarding spelling - I used to be such a good speller (not much good at anything else, but I COULD spell) Grrrrrrrrr dont get old folks!

Latest posts

Back