Driving/showing questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
do they have to be to show in harness. Also, if you have a "classic" with a lot of action..he "can" show in either classic or modern right? I see it says classic that looks like it belongs in modern is to be penalized.

And to show in a halter class classics are natural and moderns have that braid thingy?

So many rules.... :bgrin

im pretty sure they have to be 3 just like the minis. Only moderns show with braids.

Hi Enchantress,

In order for a Shetland to compete in any of the performance divisions, ie, driving, hunter, jumper, obstacles, they MUST have receached their actual Second (2 year old) birthdate or older at time of competition.

2005 ASPC/AMHR Rulebook...page 189 #13:

All performance class animals must be a minimum of two (2) years old (must have reached their actual second birthday) or older at time of competition, unless otherwise specified.

Karen Shaw

Thanks! I guess my eyes were fuzzy from reading 300 pages of rulebook 'cause there it is in plain sight!
default_smile.png
Sheesh. So many years with Morgans and everything changes when you start getting little ones.

Another question..how DO you get those little braidy thingies on and what's the purpose behind them? And for the Shetlands it's all about the heel height not the toe length right?

Also, if an ASPC horse goes over the 46" they can be registered ASPR (providing they're under 48")? But then going forward are any of their foals registerable ASPC too or ASPR only?

I know, a lot of questions, but this Shetland thing is a whole new world to me! Thank you for all your responses!

Braids are only used for Modern and Modern Pleasure classes. The front braid is sometimes attached to the headstall of the bridle or show halter. The braid behind the bridle path is braided in to a small amount of hair. The easiest is to have someone show you how to do it - it just isn't something I know how to describe.

Yep, heel height from cornet straight down to the ground is what is measured, not along the angle. Classics have a max heel height of 1.75 inches. Foundation have a max heel height of 1.5 inches. I can't remember on Moderns what the rule is (I don't show them often and when I do they are Modern Pleasure).

Yes, if they went over they can be registered ASPR. I don't know of anyone who has had that happen so I'm not sure how it would go from there.

Now, do horses showing in modern classes HAVE to have the braids? I thought I remembered reading it in the rulebook, but well, that's a LOT of stuff to try to remember. I'm starting a cheat-sheet this weekend. Also, this is the same braid that goes in the performance Saddlebreds and Walkers too, right? I just don't know if there are any people around here that have modern Shetlands.

Now you can't compete as both a Classic and Modern at the same show either, right? What about during a show year? If you show as Classic one show and Modern another and then go to Nationals (which I think I read you don't need to qualify for anyway) but you still have to pick one division to show in at Nationals too? What if you show Classic at one show...can you then, without showing at any other shows, show as a Modern at Nationals as long as you don't enter any Classic classes?

I promise, someday the questions will end! I just figure it's better to figure it all out BEFORE buying/showing/breeding!

Thanks again for all your help guys!

I am not a pony person by no means, though I have a few so from my understanding on showing the different classes like you are asking.

Look at their papers, after their Registration number do they have a A or a B. A is classic, now an A pony can show classic or modern (usually pleasure) whichever suits the horse the best, but if the horse has a B it can only show Modern or modern pleasure, as it has too much hackney parentage to show classic. A foundation will ba A papered and have the foundation seal on their papers.

All the ones I've looked at are A papered and too tall for Foundation anyway, but while most move flatter kneed, there is one colt who has lots of natural action. It's my understanding that too much will count against him in the Classic classes so he would possibly stand a better chance in the Modern classes. He's also supposed to mature between 45-46" so I wanted to make sure there are options if he does go over. Since there are only a couple "local" (yeah so an 8 hour drive IS local for me!) shows I would want to give him his best shot of doing well in any classes he would be entered in.

I'll definitely be pouring over R/ASPC and AMHA rulebooks shortly and making little cheat sheets because while I think I have the bigger details down now, there are all those little things that I seem to miss when I read it through again, or little differences between the registries and I'd hate to get DQ'd because of my own stupidity!

Back