Drives Me Nuts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
I know that it sometimes can't be helped, because of prefix rules with the different registries. But, different names for the same horse makes me crazy.

While I agree that I wish all horses had the same names in all registries they are in, you said it yourself that prefix (or suffix) problems can keep that from happening sometimes. For me personally, I have had a few horses that I've hardshipped into another registry and changed their names. One was for a horse that had a name that I had previously used on another horse. There were a couple of others that I felt the names were inappropriate or offensive. So, I changed theirs. But, it is confusing when trying to locate the same horse in different studbooks!

I had to re-name some of ours when we registered them with PtHA because at that time their names were too long. PtHA has since changed the rules and allows longer names. Makes it confusing when doing show entries and filing stallion reports! We hope to show in some AMHA shows next year with Pinto classes and some of our entries will have different names in different classes!

I think if you change the name for a good reason, as has been stated, then it may be justified(although you can choose to use something very similar, I feel)

If you really feel you must, when adding a horse to AMHR, then I guess you could substitute your own farm name (although I do not feel this is justified, myself, I have to own up to having done it on a couple of occasions, long long ago!) but I do think you should keep the name, so long as it is acceptable.

So, for instance, were you to buy an AMHA only animal called "Nofarm Mary Poppins", you could put her into AMHR as "Myfarm Mary Poppins", and it would be fairly obvious she is the same horse. Where it becomes hopeless is if there is already a "Myfarm Mary Poppins", what to do then??

Last edited by a moderator:
All of our horses were AMHA and I wanted them double reg. So I got AMHR papers on all of ours and I named them exactly the same as on their AMHA papers. That's how I wanted it! The same for both!
default_yes.gif

robin, you were able to use the same name in R as in A???? I tried that and they wouldn't let me because the prifixes were 'owned' by someone else! I was able in a couple of cases to put the prefix at the end of the name, but it was still real confusing for all paperwork.

Charlotte

robin, you were able to use the same name in R as in A???? I tried that and they wouldn't let me because the prifixes were 'owned' by someone else! I was able in a couple of cases to put the prefix at the end of the name, but it was still real confusing for all paperwork.
I've had that happen too. Another reason horses may have different names in multiple registries.
default_sad.png

I registered quite a few into R from A papers (when it was only $50- can't afford to do it as often now!) and in all the cases I was able to use their A name.

Now, we have changed a few horses' names for various reasons, mostly because we didn't like their original name. But, I don't feel bad about it. IMHO, if the original breeder had felt so strongly about it, THEY should have registered the horse under their name in the said registry.

I think if you change the name for a good reason, as has been stated, then it may be justified(although you can choose to use something very similar, I feel)

If you really feel you must, when adding a horse to AMHR, then I guess you could substitute your own farm name (although I do not feel this is justified, myself, I have to own up to having done it on a couple of occasions, long long ago!) but I do think you should keep the name, so long as it is acceptable.

So, for instance, were you to buy an AMHA only animal called "Nofarm Mary Poppins", you could put her into AMHR as "Myfarm Mary Poppins", and it would be fairly obvious she is the same horse. Where it becomes hopeless is if there is already a "Myfarm Mary Poppins", what to do then??

myfarm mare ree pop ins

Yup, I was able to name them exactly the same in R as their A papers. Maybe I lucked out and those breeders had not reserved their prefixes?

If I came across one that was reserved, I'd try tracking down and asking the breeder for permission
default_smile.png
It's worth a shot!

I bought a stallion that was only AMHA. So i hardshipped him into AMHR. I dropped the breeders farm prefix and just used the rest of his name. I didn't want to put our farm prefix since we weren't the breeder. Although I admit, i did do that one time 29 years ago. But won't do it again.

I too like both A and R to have the same name, however I two have had it refused by one or the other registry because of a conflict with owned prefixes.

In one case the owner died and the relatives through out all the registration papers and no one had a clue who they were. When we hardshipped the mare we ended up with we did name her and added on our prefix.

Otherwise, if both registries allow it, we keep their original registered name.

Personally, I don't like farm names on horses. So, when I cross-register them, I just leave the farm name off. It's a compromise for me
default_smile.png
I don't think it's great to have two totally different names with no relation, makes it harder to market the horse.

Andrea

I was not going too answer this thread, and then I decided I just as well.

I have three horses that have multiple names for several reasons.

One has two names that are prefixed by the ex owners farm names. I didnt care for either name. Since that horse came to me, out of a broodmare band, knowing absolutely nothing, I decided to name it something entirely different for Pinto registry. I put my farm name on and changed the rest of the name. Since I was the one who did all the show training on her, with multiple wins and all arounds, I feel I deserve the credit.

The other has one name in AMHR and AMHA that is long, weird , and I didnt like it. When I registered it Pinto, I put my farm name on and a cute name for the rest. There again I have done all the training, showing, and winning with it, why shouldnt I put my farm name?

The other had just a plain stupid name. He is a driving horse that doesnt show, but his original name was unbearable. I hardshipped him into AMHR and found a really nice name that fit him perfectly. I saved the part of the name that was his genetic background and put the nice name on the front.

That is my story and my own perogative to name my horses what I like.

I was not going too answer this thread, and then I decided I just as well.

I have three horses that have multiple names for several reasons.

One has two names that are prefixed by the ex owners farm names. I didnt care for either name. Since that horse came to me, out of a broodmare band, knowing absolutely nothing, I decided to name it something entirely different for Pinto registry. I put my farm name on and changed the rest of the name. Since I was the one who did all the show training on her, with multiple wins and all arounds, I feel I deserve the credit.

The other has one name in AMHR and AMHA that is long, weird , and I didnt like it. When I registered it Pinto, I put my farm name on and a cute name for the rest. There again I have done all the training, showing, and winning with it, why shouldnt I put my farm name?

The other had just a plain stupid name. He is a driving horse that doesnt show, but his original name was unbearable. I hardshipped him into AMHR and found a really nice name that fit him perfectly. I saved the part of the name that was his genetic background and put the nice name on the front.

That is my story and my own perogative to name my horses what I like.
I've done that on one. The name was pretty much unpronouncable and I could just see show announcers really messing it up.

I've had one issue where the 1st choice was allowed by AMHA, and AMHR registered him with the 2nd name. Nobody could tell me why, and it would have cost $25 to change it. I COULD have changed it, so not sure why the AMHR didn't take the first choice the first time. So one of my homebreds has 2 different names.

Latest posts

Back